• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping cost not showing on Pay Pal

sokelengl

Hi Everybody!

The shopping cart on my website is working correctly because all the products costs and shipping cost show up correctly.

But when it goes thru Paypal (Express) ver 1.0 it only charges the cost of the product. It doesn't add on the shipping costs. I have no clue as to why this is happening.

I have checked the option of “Click here to allow transaction-based shipping values to override the profile shipping settings listed above (if profile settings are enabled)” from paypal.

But it is still not working.

Has anyone else had this happen and know how to fix it?

Thanks for your message.

Regards,

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody!

The shopping cart on my website is working correctly because all the products costs and shipping cost show up correctly.

But when it goes thru Paypal (Express) ver 1.0 it only charges the cost of the product. It doesn't add on the shipping costs. I have no clue as to why this is happening.

I have checked the option of “Click here to allow transaction-based shipping values to override the profile shipping settings listed above (if profile settings are enabled)” from paypal.

Thanks for your message.

Regards,

Lisa

Lisa Im having the same problem. Hope someone answers our problem.

Jeff

I found what worked for me, hopefully for you as well

1. Log in to your Paypal account.

2. Click on "My Account - Profile".

3. In the "Selling Preferences" column, click on "Shipping Calculations".

4. At the bottom of the page, be sure to check the box that allow transaction-based shipping settings to override the profile settings.

If that box is not checked, the settings of your profile (probably set to $0.00) will override the shipping charges.

Hope this may help you!

Hi Everybody!

Thanks for your message.

Regards,

Lisa

• 8 months later...

I have never been able to get this to work correctly, and I don't even see how it can? When you click the express checkout button from the shopping cart it takes you directly to Paypal.... so how can a customer ever select their shipping method?? I have been messing with this for months, and even managed to break the site so badly trying different modules in the hopes of fixing it that i had to do a fresh install. I've searched the boards and I find a lot of people who have asked similar paypal questions who just haven't gotten a response. Surely people have this working, so I am very confused :(

http://discountwitch.com/store/

Edited by SandyNovotny

I was also very confused about this and spent hours researching and testing different modules.

Part of the trouble is that I'm using OsCommerce 2.2a rc -- so in my mind, just because my 'express' addon isn't working properly doesn't mean that future versions aren't.

But I did a lot of investigation and here's what I discovered...

The PayPal Express module that's installed was based on the PayPal API version 3.x (we are now on version 76!!!) -- that was long ago, probably around 2008 when the PayPal API was pretty basic and useless -- there was probably no way to pass a customer to PayPal with shipping options - so the osCommerce developers probably just didn't make it do it. Instead merchants like ourselves were probably expected to set Shipping Settings inside their PayPal profiles.

The version of PayPal express I was using was so bad, it didn't even list the shopping cart contents to PayPal -- PayPal only received the total amount!!!

The good news is that we are now on version 76 and there's a lot more options:

1. You can provide shipping options at the time of checkout -- the customer clicks "[Checkout with PayPal Express]" button and it will forward the cart items and the shipping option(s) to PayPal. If you provide more than 1 shipping option, the customer will get to choose!

2. There is now a 'callback' / 'instant update' function which does this: After the customer is forwarded to PayPal, after they log in, it will forward their shipping address to YOUR 'callback server', which takes the address, calculates shipping options, SENDS the shipping options BACK to PayPal, which will then show the user the shipping options - that's a lot of work and I haven't written that yet...

Unfortunately there's quite a bit of work to get that old version of PayPal express to do what we want.

I have made it do option 1.

You can email / pm me if you want some help. I'm on rfwoolf at

g

mail dot com.

You can refer to some references files here:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_api_nvp_r_SetExpressCheckout

and

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_api_nvp_r_DoExpressCheckoutPayment

1. Basically, when the user clicks on the "PayPal Express Checkout" button on your website,

the website submits a 'SetExpressCheckout' command to PayPal which

(in my standard version) just submitted the total amount to PayPal,

but in my rewritten version, using the API link above, I have gotten it to submit all the shopping cart items and shipping options.

2. The user signs in to PayPal and if I provided more than 1 shipping option they will get to choose it,

3. they then return to the OsCommerce website to the 'Confirmation' page.

If they confirm the payment, that's when...

4. the website submits a 'DoExpressCheckoutPayment' command to PayPal for the 'final' amount.

So, if you read this very carefully, you could hypothetically just provide shipping options when the user returns to your website (step 3). In other words in step 1 you pass the total amount EXCLUDING shipping - exactly like it is now!!! the customer will 'approve' this amount and return to your website for confirmation (step 3) -- that's when you're allowed to INCREASE the amount to include shipping.

That can work perfectly for many people.

OR

In Step 1 you can pass through some shipping option(s). But this can be a problem if the customer has a special address in PayPal. What if you thought they were going to ship to say, London, but they log in and their PayPal address is China (for example)? That's why the first option is better -- or a 'callback' option.

I hope some of this helps

• 2 weeks later...

steps to analyze:

1) Collect form thats being submitted to paypal if it has shipping cost in it then look into paypal setting that might override shipping for some specific currecnties.

2) If form submitted to paypal is not having shipping details then you need to check order total sort order, Free shipping code logic.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been updates to the paypal contrib and you do need to be using the latest version. Paypal will help you if you need help and they even sent me the latest working version of the paypal code for OSCommerce BUT it was not the latest!!. I used paypal express succesfully for a while but it would never charge the VAT on postage so I canned it and now only use paypal standard and paypal pro.

I was also very confused about this and spent hours researching and testing different modules.

Part of the trouble is that I'm using OsCommerce 2.2a rc -- so in my mind, just because my 'express' addon isn't working properly doesn't mean that future versions aren't.

But I did a lot of investigation and here's what I discovered...

The PayPal Express module that's installed was based on the PayPal API version 3.x (we are now on version 76!!!) -- that was long ago, probably around 2008 when the PayPal API was pretty basic and useless -- there was probably no way to pass a customer to PayPal with shipping options - so the osCommerce developers probably just didn't make it do it. Instead merchants like ourselves were probably expected to set Shipping Settings inside their PayPal profiles.

The version of PayPal express I was using was so bad, it didn't even list the shopping cart contents to PayPal -- PayPal only received the total amount!!!

The good news is that we are now on version 76 and there's a lot more options:

1. You can provide shipping options at the time of checkout -- the customer clicks "[Checkout with PayPal Express]" button and it will forward the cart items and the shipping option(s) to PayPal. If you provide more than 1 shipping option, the customer will get to choose!

2. There is now a 'callback' / 'instant update' function which does this: After the customer is forwarded to PayPal, after they log in, it will forward their shipping address to YOUR 'callback server', which takes the address, calculates shipping options, SENDS the shipping options BACK to PayPal, which will then show the user the shipping options - that's a lot of work and I haven't written that yet...

Unfortunately there's quite a bit of work to get that old version of PayPal express to do what we want.

I have made it do option 1.

You can email / pm me if you want some help. I'm on rfwoolf at

g

mail dot com.

You can refer to some references files here:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_api_nvp_r_SetExpressCheckout

and

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/e_howto_api_nvp_r_DoExpressCheckoutPayment

1. Basically, when the user clicks on the "PayPal Express Checkout" button on your website,

the website submits a 'SetExpressCheckout' command to PayPal which

(in my standard version) just submitted the total amount to PayPal,

but in my rewritten version, using the API link above, I have gotten it to submit all the shopping cart items and shipping options.

2. The user signs in to PayPal and if I provided more than 1 shipping option they will get to choose it,

3. they then return to the OsCommerce website to the 'Confirmation' page.

If they confirm the payment, that's when...

4. the website submits a 'DoExpressCheckoutPayment' command to PayPal for the 'final' amount.

So, if you read this very carefully, you could hypothetically just provide shipping options when the user returns to your website (step 3). In other words in step 1 you pass the total amount EXCLUDING shipping - exactly like it is now!!! the customer will 'approve' this amount and return to your website for confirmation (step 3) -- that's when you're allowed to INCREASE the amount to include shipping.

That can work perfectly for many people.

OR

In Step 1 you can pass through some shipping option(s). But this can be a problem if the customer has a special address in PayPal. What if you thought they were going to ship to say, London, but they log in and their PayPal address is China (for example)? That's why the first option is better -- or a 'callback' option.

I hope some of this helps

I'm confused, did you use a mod or did you hand mod it yourself? I'm not advanced to figure out the mods from scratch myself, but I can handle applying an existing mod... I just don't know which one to use that will work?

Check following:

1. What is sent as a request( post) to paypal. Make sure shipping is there.

2. If shipping is there and is still not considered then look into your paypal profile shipping setting. There is a setting that allows shipping override make sure thats not happening.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe the problem is with offering free shipping. I have tested this and I'm positive it's the problem. Paypal looks at the full cost of the order including tax and shipping and if the amount is above your free shipping figure the shipping charges are dropped.

Try testing different amounts until you see the trigger.