• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Stretching my webdesign skills to the limit

Collines

I have stretched my web design skills to the limit here and tried to make full use of osCommerce and the contributions available in order to try and produce a store that in no way resembles the standard osCommerce.

www.markstaves.co.uk

There are still some texts and images to play around with, but and recommendations / advice most welcome.

Looks very nice, if a little slow to load on my rural speed line.

You have a few problems with French banners displaying on English pages and accented characters displaying incorrectly on UK browsers the create account page "French Metropolitain" displays as "French M?tropolitain". Also the tab name is Default .....

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked it out on 10/26/2010 @ 10:39 CDT

I like what you have done EXCEPT - Your main table is at the very bottom of the page after your left hand column.

You're never too old to learn.

Even an old fart like myself loves learn and be creative.

?>if (empty($coffee)) {$coffee=new coffee();}<?

• 3 weeks later...

The color scheme is very nice but places like the contact us page where the address is in green is very hard to read. Also the menus, white text over light grey, is a bit low on the contrast. other than that it's one of the best sites i've seen. =)

No, it is not a template.

I created the store myself, but have been using osCommerce for years and have made my own version that has more than fifty contributions installed.

I did not want to reply earlier as I did not want to advertise my fork of osCommerce on here, even though having a fork is perfectly legal.

Even with my version of osCommerce, I have never tried to pretend that it was based on anything other than osCommerce (who deserve the credit for the hardest work) hence saying based on osCommerce and enhanced by Solucart.

Incidentally, Solucart is moot at the moment as there is a new version of osCommerce.

My apologizes Mark. :blush:

I clicked on the link which lead me to - http://www.solucart.com/ which sounded like a reworked version of osC and a template system.

I did not realize that solucart was your baby, again I am sorry.

As a note regarding the feedback...

I am STUCK with a rural dialup connection and after waiting five minutes for the page to load I gave up.

Maybe there is something you can tweak to increase load times?

:)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Hi Jim

You have discovered the one failing of this site.

I made it for a customer and decided to use the approach of asking the customer to point out the elements on other sites that they found interesting. They of course managed to find every bell and whistle on the internet and then decided they wanted all of those those bells and whistles. I tried to point out that the product scope (aromatherapy) is principally the domain of an older audience. Heck, some of their customers do not even have javascript or flash enabled on their computers. At the end of the day though, I had to create what the customer wanted. The result is a site that is too "enhanced" for some of the potential customers. It still makes money though.

I would welcome any ideas to reduce load times though.

Mark

Thanks George

This is a copy of a the site on my server. I was hoping to show how osCommerce can be changed to look different. The actual client wanted the osCommerce bit removed, so I do not want to change the site to the live one, where these two issues have been fixed.

Thank you for pointing this out though. I am now going to make a copy of the live site and overwrite this one, so that it will be a bit more up to date, with these issues fixed.

Mark

Hi Jim

You have discovered the one failing of this site.

I made it for a customer and decided to use the approach of asking the customer to point out the elements on other sites that they found interesting. They of course managed to find every bell and whistle on the internet and then decided they wanted all of those those bells and whistles. I tried to point out that the product scope (aromatherapy) is principally the domain of an older audience. Heck, some of their customers do not even have javascript or flash enabled on their computers. At the end of the day though, I had to create what the customer wanted. The result is a site that is too "enhanced" for some of the potential customers. It still makes money though.

I would welcome any ideas to reduce load times though.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I know from my past web browsing that Flash objects "really" slow my load times.

Not really sure what else to recommend.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived