• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Customize my Website Look Using STS

dan_y

Hello,

I am new to OSC. Just installed it on my server. I would like to have a simple store - only several products - may be 10 or 20.

So far I've been using PayPal shopping cart - just HTML code that PayPal produces and you put it on your website. It was OK but didn't allow me to calculate shipping the way I wanted and send automated emails to customers.

Anyway the website was produced using SiteSpinner ( http://www.virtualmechanics.com/products/index.html ). Now what I want is that my website will pertain the same graphics (template/theme) and add the OSC shopping cart to it. I understand that I can do it using STS, but not quite sure as how to do this. I can create the HTML code for the template I want and add images with SiteSpinner, but question is how do I add this to be a recognized template by STS?

Could anyone help me out please? I also have Xara Web Designer ( http://www.xara.com/us/products/webdesigner ) which I like very much for its simplicity and versatility and if possible would rather use it to design the look of my website they way I want it.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello,

I am new to OSC. Just installed it on my server. I would like to have a simple store - only several products - may be 10 or 20.

So far I've been using PayPal shopping cart - just HTML code that PayPal produces and you put it on your website. It was OK but didn't allow me to calculate shipping the way I wanted and send automated emails to customers.

Anyway the website was produced using SiteSpinner ( http://www.virtualme...ucts/index.html ). Now what I want is that my website will pertain the same graphics (template/theme) and add the OSC shopping cart to it. I understand that I can do it using STS, but not quite sure as how to do this. I can create the HTML code for the template I want and add images with SiteSpinner, but question is how do I add this to be a recognized template by STS?

Could anyone help me out please? I also have Xara Web Designer ( http://www.xara.com/...cts/webdesigner ) which I like very much for its simplicity and versatility and if possible would rather use it to design the look of my website they way I want it.

Thanks,

Dan

Install STSv4.6 and then select one of the sample templates to work with. Using the sample template, start merging in your custom HTML into it. Just keep in mind that the STS tags will bring in the dynamic content so for example, if you didn't want the Information infobox to appear, you would simply not include that STS tag.

By the way, STS has it's own forum. Please use the link in my signature below (STSv4 Forum) to post all of your STS questions.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Install STSv4.6 and then select one of the sample templates to work with. Using the sample template, start merging in your custom HTML into it. Just keep in mind that the STS tags will bring in the dynamic content so for example, if you didn't want the Information infobox to appear, you would simply not include that STS tag.

By the way, STS has it's own forum. Please use the link in my signature below (STSv4 Forum) to post all of your STS questions.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. May I continue this thread since it's already been started and if I reply you with further questions on the STS forum it would be confusing to some.

I downloaded and installed STSv4.6. Now I have created the bellow template using a web design software and I would like my website to look like this. I would like to put may be one featured product or two on the home page (only a picture with a small description), a small box on the top showing the shopping cart and the full list of products and detailed description would be under the Products link. Now when someone clicks the products link or any other in the navigation bar I want the resultant page to maintain the same template - only contents changes.

So what do I start with? The STS blank template? It doesn't really contain anything - so just put its source in my HTML?

Also, I understand that with STS you control the template layout using 'tags', but where exactly do you put them? In the HTML code. Sorry if the questions sound silly, I am not a coding person. Going through the threads on the forum I am getting a feeling that everybody has some preliminary knowledge. Please bear with me.

Thanks,

Dan

IMG_006.jpg

Edited by dan_y