• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Products From Supplier Into Site

dejay2k9

My supplier has supplied me (i have paid a fee ofcourse lol) with a http feed which they say can populate my os commerce site with products - inc description, price, images etc etc.

How on earth do i do this lol!

I have tried Get_QtyPrice_Feed_1_05 but all i got what a huuuuge page full of info i requested but it didnt put nothing in my db or in my site.

I know it can be done as i have another supplier who does this all for me. The downside is they will not give me any sort of access to files so my site with them is so limited its not worth the bother.

I have a custom theme i have uploaded, site is running perfectly i just need these products on there and auto updating once a day.

Thanks for any advice.

I have tried Get_QtyPrice_Feed_1_05 but all i got what a huuuuge page full of info i requested but it didnt put nothing in my db or in my site.

That contribution will not populate the site with products. It will only update products that already exist.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

thats why it failed then :)

this is beyond anything i have done before so any help greatly appreciated.

There are companies out there that do that. Usually found on the dropshipper sites. They prey off of those people thinking they will make a fortune with dropshipping.

If you have any coding skills you could take that contribution and modify it to insert the products rather easily. First run through will be fine, but any subsequent run will duplicate the products unless you add a procedure to determine if the product already exists.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

There are companies out there that do that. Usually found on the dropshipper sites. They prey off of those people thinking they will make a fortune with dropshipping.

Thats exactly why i am trying this for myself. To cut a long story short i was promised the world with a super fully customisable out of the box site for 200 quid + 30 quid a month to host it and support. What i got was a plain os commerce install with so many holes it i could not believe - it took me 2 months of harrassing the guy just to get a shipping module installed correctly and the site working to public. Whenever i ask "Can you do this for me ... ?" i get "Oooohh module - thats £60 per installed module, thanks." I cant even change a piece of text without asking him to do it. I fell for it twice with 2 modules and paid up but i now want a theme installing and im pretty much guessing he will charge me about 200 quid!

I have basic knowledge of html/php and have no problem installing anything but this is the bit where he "has me by the balls" i could say lol!

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have access to several of my suppliers api's and could do with some pointers as to how to get these working within oscommerce. Did you get anywhere with this? What was your solution? If there are commercial options out there, what are they and who by? I've seen lots of sites promising software to do this but its VERY expensive, and there are no guarantees it will work.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

R

Hi,

I have access to several of my suppliers api's and could do with some pointers as to how to get these working within oscommerce. Did you get anywhere with this? What was your solution? If there are commercial options out there, what are they and who by? I've seen lots of sites promising software to do this but its VERY expensive, and there are no guarantees it will work.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

R

What sort of feed are you supplied with as I have one supplier that generates an xml feed on the fly and I have a coded an xml import interface with allows me to select which categories of products to import, set individual prices per category by adding a percentage to the cost price. This is all done using temporary tables in the database which once sorted I can press a button and transfer all products to the live store, oh and it also imports all images.

Mark

What sort of feed are you supplied with as I have one supplier that generates an xml feed on the fly and I have a coded an xml import interface with allows me to select which categories of products to import, set individual prices per category by adding a percentage to the cost price. This is all done using temporary tables in the database which once sorted I can press a button and transfer all products to the live store, oh and it also imports all images.

Mark

Hi Mark,

That sounds awesome. Is a capable of handling multiple suppliers? Are you willing to share the import interface?

Many Thanks

R

There is an add-on call Easy Populate that will take a csv file and import it into your site.

Takes less than 30 minutes to install and has loads of documentation.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Hi Mark,

That sounds awesome. Is a capable of handling multiple suppliers? Are you willing to share the import interface?

Many Thanks

R

Unfortunately I will not share this with the community as if it were to be released then everyone would make money using my supplier and interface but not me >_<

If you let me know which supplier you are using by pm I am willing to take a look and see if there is anything I can do.

I am in the process of porting it to another suppliers xml feed however it will be near enough a rewrite to cope with the different xml tags.

There is an add-on call Easy Populate that will take a csv file and import it into your site.

Takes less than 30 minutes to install and has loads of documentation.

HTH

G

As G said Easy Populate is a good free solution if your supplier has a csv file and you have the time to download and reupload all of the product images. If your supplier does not supply a csv file then you could take the xml and convert it to csv.