• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

My Programmer is completely exasperated - Category in URL - Be a good samaritan!

PetersonJa

Hi there,

I'm doing my programmer a favour because I've never seen him in the condition he is now.

For the past 3 hours he has been battling with the source code of SEOURL 2.2 to try and get a URL that is like this:

http://domain.eu/clothing-coats-jackets-c-21_80_83.html

to become this:

http://domain.eu/clothing/coats/jackets/c-21_80_83.html

But it's just not happening.

Please can someone here help me to end his pain.

Thank you.

Edited by PetersonJa

Hi there,

I'm doing my programmer a favour because I've never seen him in the condition he is now.

For the past 3 hours he has been battling with the source code of SEOURL 2.2 to try and get a URL that is like this:

to become this:

Thank you.

Tell him to beta test Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO

to become this:

As already mentioned, you cannot do that with the version you are using. It is not the correct way to optimize the url and should not be done. But if you are determined to use that format, you should use one the url rewriters that use that method.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It is not the correct way to optimize the url and should not be done.

You keep saying that Jack. Who are you to say what "should not be done"?

I see no evidence that path based uris are to SEO any different from hyphen separated uris. I will probably also add this to Chemos Seo Urls support thread as I believe it is misleading users.

Edited by FWR Media

I see no evidence that path based uris are to SEO any different from hyphen separated uris.
Yes, that is obvious from your contribution and I feel badly for those that are using it as a result of your lack of knownledge on the subject. In any event, it is my opinion and I base it on years of SEO expereince. Slashes can be used as separators but are considered special characters for urls and are not recomended for the purpose of separating keywords. And my experience has shown that the search engines treat the keywords differently when they are separated by slashes versus dashes. You may also want to see what Matt Cutts says.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, that is obvious from your contribution and I feel badly for those that are using it as a result of your lack of knownledge on the subject. In any event, it is my opinion and I base it on years of SEO expereince.

I started writing an annoyed post .. then I relented.

Actually you are just funny in your ineptitude.

Years of Seo Experience .. LOL .. like your years of coding experience I imagine.

You take over other peoples contributions because you can't create your own .. the code you do write is a mess like header tags and the hacking of Chemos Seo Urls. You over sell them with claims that sadly some people still believe.

The only power in your statement is Matt Cutts. Well Matt Cutts own blog uses path based uris as well as others ( obviously he doesn't have your seo skill ROFLMAO ) and he has never stated that path based uris are in any way deficient.

Also USU5 PRO offers a whole range of uri options not just path based.

So .. no Jack .. feel no pity for users of my contributions but perhaps a written apology to users of yours ( sorry meant other peoples that you hacked ) would not go amiss :D

Edited by FWR Media

Years of Seo Experience .. LOL .. like your years of coding experience I imagine.

You take over other peoples contributions because you can't create your own .. the code you do write is a mess like header tags and the hacking of Chemos Seo Urls. You over sell them with claims that sadly some people still believe.

The only power in your statement is Matt Cutts. Well Matt Cutts own blog uses path based uris as well as others ( obviously he doesn't have your seo skill ROFLMAO ) and he has never stated that path based uris are in any way deficient.

Also USU5 PRO offers a whole range of uri options not just path based.

So .. no Jack .. feel no pity for users of my contributions but perhaps a written apology to users of yours ( sorry meant other peoples that you hacked ) would not go amiss :D

It seems that there are a few exasperated programmers here too.

Without getting into it too much, let me say that / based url rewriting IS the way to go. But I won't attempt to convert people who don't think so. But I will say that my first page results in Google are for keywords where competition is up around the 30million mark, so you can judge for yourself whether I am knowledgable or not.

Hoping that a solution can be provided. Do I need to install the beta version or is there another URL rewrite package I should be using.

Thank you community.

Without getting into it too much, let me say that / based url rewriting IS the way to go. But I won't attempt to convert people who don't think so. But I will say that my first page results in Google are for keywords where competition is up around the 30million mark, so you can judge for yourself whether I am knowledgable or not.

Hoping that a solution can be provided. Do I need to install the beta version or is there another URL rewrite package I should be using.

Thank you community.

Currently USU5 offers two types of uris

filename/my-great-product-p-3.html ( no rewrite rules necessary, works out of the box IIS and *nix )

my-great-product-p-3.html ( requires rewriterules )

USU5 PRO has loads of options which I can't mention here but it is still in beta as I am not satisfied that enough beta testing has been done. It can't be added to a live site ( and shouldn't be as it is beta ) because it has no file change instructions. But it can be "dropped on top" of a freshly downloaded and set up RC2a and will work and can be fully tested.

http://forums.oscomm...seo-urls-5-pro/

This I think has really been production ready for a year ( bar a tiny few minor changes ) but I'm not going to release it until it has some solid beta testing as there are many options.

Edited by FWR Media

This is the type of anecdotal evidence that is so dangerous on these forums. The assumption that you have a good position because you use a slash is simply not the case. Google pays little attention to the keywords in the url and you would never reach a top 5 position based just on the way a url is written.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

LOL. You always reduce it to personal attacks. I must have done something along the way to anger you since you can't post a civilized comment towards me to save your life. It is truly amusing to me.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I started with an impartial question. But there seems to be some friction between two SEOURL developers here which I've walked into.

But before I go I'd like to ask the developer (not the one I'm referencing below) whether the beta component will allow me to rewrite across domains. I have a .fr domain and a .es domain. When someone switches language the domains switch completely. It's currently working in the other REWRITE component, but the URL with the slash is not. Is this possible with your component - I see that for example if you have two languages a rewrite scenarion might be domain.com/it or domain.com/fr. Is it posssible to configure it so that instead of adding a subfolder it just redirects to the relevant domain.

AND FOR THE JACK_mcs

"This is the type of anecdotal evidence that is so dangerous on these forums. The assumption that you have a good position because you use a slash is simply not the case. Google pays little attention to the keywords in the url and you would never reach a top 5 position based just on the way a url is written."

Not an assumption fool.

Neither am I saying that a slash is going to be the difference between position 1 and position 20.

But I have to say, you've gnarled me now, so let me give you a little education before I start with my day in the office.

Unless you work at Google, all things are completely hypertheticcal. If you quote Matt Cutts you clearly believe that what he says is acutally something you should take as gospel. That's your second big mistake. And it is a big one. Learn to discect Public Relations from an algorithim.

I don't work with multimillion dollar clients and get them on the first page of Google listening to Matt Cutts. I don't pay Adwords a dime, it's pure organic. In fact if I followed his advice I'd be swimming with the likes of you.

Here's a secret too. I'm glad that there are people like you listening to Matt Cutts, because by doing so you make my life SO MUCH EASIER. Because when I take over digruntled clients it's largely because the client agency has been working with someone with your mindset.

Wake up...on second thoughts....don't, it makes me more money.

:)

Edited by PetersonJa

But before I go I'd like to ask the developer (not the one I'm referencing below) whether the beta component will allow me to rewrite across domains. I have a .fr domain and a .es domain. When someone switches language the domains switch completely. It's currently working in the other REWRITE component, but the URL with the slash is not. Is this possible with your component - I see that for example if you have two languages a rewrite scenarion might be domain.com/it or domain.com/fr. Is it posssible to configure it so that instead of adding a subfolder it just redirects to the relevant domain.

Well I can see that you have already put in place an intelligent strategy for multi language SEO, nice.

Re: USU5 PRO it is really designed to offer what you have achieved but without the necessity for multiple domains.

Having said this I feel it will always be attractive to have the language based sites as separate domains where possible.

On first sight all I think USU5 PRO could offer you would be it's benefits outside of the multi language seo feature. I think, like the system you currently have, you would install it on each domain running independently. Whether that is worth doing would depend on how you viewed the other features.

Thanks.

However the problem I have is that the two domains are in fact based on one installation.

that means that I can't literally install the component twice, I would just install it once.

does that make sense to you.

Interesting .. so the .fr and .es domains essentially load the same root files, the system then sets the language based on which domain is identified on access, is this correct?

Yes this is what happens.

the magic happens in the file application_top.php and in configure.php.

He smells the domain, if .fr the language is French if .es the language is Spanish.

Thanks for your continued help with this.

Would be very nice if there were a way to set domain names instead of rewritten folders. IE

if domain.com/fr/ then www.domain.fr

if domdian.com/es/ then www.domain.es

not a programmer, but do know what works in the SE's.

Edited by PetersonJa

Yes this is what happens.

the magic happens in the file application_top.php and in configure.php.

He smells the domain, if .fr the language is French if .es the language is Spanish.

Thanks for your continued help with this.

Would be very nice if there were a way to set domain names instead of rewritten folders. IE

not a programmer, but do know what works in the SE's.

Well in this case, in theory, USU5 PRO should work with your current set up, IF I am understanding you correctly.

I am presuming that the current code changes the contents of HTTP_SERVER and HTTPS_SERVER in configure.php and $language and $language_id in application_top.php.

The multi language setting would need to be off.

The following wouldn't work ..

But the following should work ..

Categories

www.domain.es/my-spanish-parent-category/my-spanish-category-c-22.html

www.domain.fr/my-french-parent-category/my-french-category-c-22.html

Products ( any mix of brand, model, product, category )

www.domain.es/my-spanish-brand/my-spanish-product-p-22.html

www.domain.fr/my-french-brand/my-french-product-p-22.html

Not exactly what you were after but highly configurable in the case of products.

Edited by FWR Media

I started with an impartial question. But there seems to be some friction between two SEOURL developers here which I've walked into.

Yes, I understood your response was impartial. There's no friction between us, at least on my part. It is strictly one-way as can be seen by the anger in Roberts replies. I truly find them quite amusing.

AND FOR THE JACK_mcs

Not an assumption fool.

I understand how my response could have angered you but it was not meant that way. It was just a factual statement. What you may have meant is one thing. But what you said was something else and gave the incorrect impression. That is what I was replying to. Do you really need to resort to name-calling?

Neither am I saying that a slash is going to be the difference between position 1 and position 20.

But I have to say, you've gnarled me now, so let me give you a little education before I start with my day in the office.

That was not my intention. I'm sorry you took it so persoanlly.

Unless you work at Google, all things are completely hypertheticcal. If you quote Matt Cutts you clearly believe that what he says is acutally something you should take as gospel. That's your second big mistake. And it is a big one. Learn to discect Public Relations from an algorithim.

I don't work with multimillion dollar clients and get them on the first page of Google listening to Matt Cutts. I don't pay Adwords a dime, it's pure organic. In fact if I followed his advice I'd be swimming with the likes of you.

Here's a secret too. I'm glad that there are people like you listening to Matt Cutts, because by doing so you make my life SO MUCH EASIER. Because when I take over digruntled clients it's largely because the client agency has been working with someone with your mindset.

Wake up...on second thoughts....don't, it makes me more money.:)

This is another incorrect assumption on your part. I only quoted Matt's post because it was clear from Robert's rant that he wouldn't take anything I said as evidence. No matter what you think of Matt, he is one of the ones that decides what google does in regards to SEO. Ignoring that is simply nonsense.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, I understood your response was impartial. There's no friction between us, at least on my part. It is strictly one-way as can be seen by the anger in Roberts replies. I truly find them quite amusing.I understand how my response could have angered you but it was not meant that way. It was just a factual statement. What you may have meant is one thing. But what you said was something else and gave the incorrect impression. That is what I was replying to. Do you really need to resort to name-calling?That was not my intention. I'm sorry you took it so persoanlly.

This is another incorrect assumption on your part. I only quoted Matt's post because it was clear from Robert's rant that he wouldn't take anything I said as evidence. No matter what you think of Matt, he is one of the ones that decides what google does in regards to SEO. Ignoring that is simply nonsense.

No worries, glad it's all sorted now. Looks like that component with the multilang switched off is going to do exactly what I wanted.

Funny thing is that my programmer was using that one before...then he installed the other.

:)

It is strictly one-way as can be seen by the anger in Roberts replies.

Yes, that is obvious from your contribution and I feel badly for those that are using it as a result of your lack of knownledge on the subject. In any event, it is my opinion and I base it on years of SEO expereince.

It is very simple Jack .. you made the above comment and the attack is obvious and instigated by you.

What is also true and obvious is that you have no Seo Url contribution you just hack Chemos Seo Urls version 2 right? ( in fact you hack my cleaned up version of Chemos Ultimate Seo Uls but I shall ignore that bit as you already know it's correct and true ).

Yet you make claims of competence which I find hilarious.

I'll leave it there as I feel no further comment is necessary.

Okay, I am down in the trenches again:

To change the domains based on the region of the domains my programmer used this addon:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7377

Th config used in SEOURL5 is as follows:

Enable SEO URLs=>true

Turn degug reporting on/off.=>false

Set the number of days to store the cache=>7

Remove all non-alphanumeric characters=>false

Choose URL Rewrite Typ=>rewrite

Output W3C valid URLs=>true

Filter Short Words=>3

Add category parent to beginning of URLs=>true

Add cPath to product URLs=>false

Select caching system=>FileSystem

What my programmer wants to get is this:

www.sito.com/categoria/sottocategoria/prodotto.php

www.sito.fr/categorie/souscategorie/produit.php

But what we actually get is this!

www.sito.com/sottocategoria-prodotto.php

www.sito.fr/souscategorie-produit.php

Here's an extract of the htaccess if this helps:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Can someone help?

Thanks

Okay, I am down in the trenches again:

To change the domains based on the region of the domains my programmer used this addon:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7377

Th config used in SEOURL5 is as follows:

Enable SEO URLs=>true

Turn degug reporting on/off.=>false

Set the number of days to store the cache=>7

Remove all non-alphanumeric characters=>false

Choose URL Rewrite Typ=>rewrite

Output W3C valid URLs=>true

Filter Short Words=>3

Add category parent to beginning of URLs=>true

Add cPath to product URLs=>false

Select caching system=>FileSystem

What my programmer wants to get is this:

www.sito.com/categoria/sottocategoria/prodotto.php

www.sito.fr/categorie/souscategorie/produit.php

But what we actually get is this!

www.sito.com/sottocategoria-prodotto.php

www.sito.fr/souscategorie-produit.php

Here's an extract of the htaccess if this helps:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Can someone help?

Thanks

Our previous discussions were about USU5 PRO not the currently available version of USU5.

Beyond that I can't help as it is a modification specific to you and therefore outside of the realms of free support.

If you are already paying a developer then they should be able to create the functionality you require.

Our previous discussions were about USU5 PRO not the currently available version of USU5.

Beyond that I can't help as it is a modification specific to you and therefore outside of the realms of free support.

If you are already paying a developer then they should be able to create the functionality you require.

Where can my developer get the pro version?

Where can my developer get the pro version?

I provided a link at the top of this post .. however .. it is available for those who are willing to beta test and provide useful beta test feedback as opposed to for current usage.