• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2 Basic questions re: osC and PayPal

obcbeatle

It looks like PayPal Website Payments Standard you pay for buttons, which doesn't make sense to me since osC already has buttons for checking out and re-directing to PayPal (I enabled Payments Standard in osC and tried the PayPal sandbox and thru the sandbox PayPal/osC seems to work). Is there a way to test Payments Standard not thru the sandbox before I go live? Bottom-line is all I want to do is sell via PayPal and accept checks/money orders but I am having problems understanding which PayPal module to use (Website Payment Standard vs. Express Checkout) and the osC PayPal module tutorial is confusing to me as it doesn't seem to mesh with what I read on PayPals web site. Also, the tutorial doesn't give specifics on module config data to enter on many of the fields. Any assistance in helping me understand how to choose and configure PayPal for osC would be much appreciated. Thanks!

It looks like PayPal Website Payments Standard you pay for buttons, which doesn't make sense to me since osC already has buttons for checking out and re-directing to PayPal (I enabled Payments Standard in osC and tried the PayPal sandbox and thru the sandbox PayPal/osC seems to work). Is there a way to test Payments Standard not thru the sandbox before I go live? Bottom-line is all I want to do is sell via PayPal and accept checks/money orders but I am having problems understanding which PayPal module to use (Website Payment Standard vs. Express Checkout) and the osC PayPal module tutorial is confusing to me as it doesn't seem to mesh with what I read on PayPals web site. Also, the tutorial doesn't give specifics on module config data to enter on many of the fields. Any assistance in helping me understand how to choose and configure PayPal for osC would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Jerry, is this the tutorial you referred to?

I don't pay for buttons, whatever that means.

I use PP standard, but will install PP IPN when I get motivated enough. For now though, PP Standard suffices. Here are my settings if that helps: (note the key and certificate settings are blank)

Enable PayPal Website Payments Standard

True

E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Payment Zone

--none--

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal Standard]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Processing

Gateway Server

Live

Transaction Method

Sale

Page Style

PayPal

Debug E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Sort order of display.

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

PayPals Public Certificate

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

Working Directory

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Jerry, is this the tutorial you referred to?

I don't pay for buttons, whatever that means.

I use PP standard, but will install PP IPN when I get motivated enough. For now though, PP Standard suffices. Here are my settings if that helps: (note the key and certificate settings are blank)

Enable PayPal Website Payments Standard

True

E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Payment Zone

--none--

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal Standard]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Processing

Gateway Server

Live

Transaction Method

Sale

Page Style

PayPal

Debug E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Sort order of display.

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

Working Directory

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

Thanks so much for the reply! The tutorial I was referring to was http://www.oscommerce.info/confluence/display/OSCDOC22/PayPal however I found your link thread soon after posting and configured just like the settings you just posted (thank you!). There does seem to some confusion re: what url to use in PayPal for the "return url" file. I set mine to checkout_process.php which is the same url file for the notification url file. Hopefully that is correct. My only problem now is to test. I had been using "sandbox", however I want to test "live" before I make my shop live. Can this be done? Thanks again for the reply!

Thanks so much for the reply! The tutorial I was referring to was http://www.oscommerce.info/confluence/display/OSCDOC22/PayPal however I found your link thread soon after posting and configured just like the settings you just posted (thank you!). There does seem to some confusion re: what url to use in PayPal for the "return url" file. I set mine to checkout_process.php which is the same url file for the notification url file. Hopefully that is correct. My only problem now is to test. I had been using "sandbox", however I want to test "live" before I make my shop live. Can this be done? Thanks again for the reply!

It's been a while since I did all the PP configuration, but yes, I do recall the issue about what return url to use. I finally settled on checkout_success.php. I never worked with the sandbox much, I was messing around with getting the store set up and had PP standard live and forgot about it. About a week later, I made a sale, the customer used PayPal, so I decided to go with it as is. Since then, other than occasional glitch, it's been fine.

I test my site out occasionally by using a dummy account. I run through a purchase using the money order method and the PayPal method. For PayPal, once I get to the PayPal payment page, I am fairly satisfied all is well.

Good luck then on all that.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

It's been a while since I did all the PP configuration, but yes, I do recall the issue about what return url to use. I finally settled on checkout_success.php. I never worked with the sandbox much, I was messing around with getting the store set up and had PP standard live and forgot about it. About a week later, I made a sale, the customer used PayPal, so I decided to go with it as is. Since then, other than occasional glitch, it's been fine.

I test my site out occasionally by using a dummy account. I run through a purchase using the money order method and the PayPal method. For PayPal, once I get to the PayPal payment page, I am fairly satisfied all is well.

Good luck then on all that.

Thanks! I just tried to create a dummy PP account but of course I can't pay from that dummy account since it wants to verify a real bank account before sending $. I guess I'll just have to trust that I set everything up correctly. A shame there is no way to test via PP w/o using their kludgy "sandbox".

There are two main categories for paypal modules: the free versions, in which you only pay per item fees and the non-free version, in which you pay a per item fee as well as a monthly fee.

Free versions include the original paypal module (should no longer be used), paypal IPN (should no longer be used though there may be one version that is current), paypal express and paypal standard. The difference between the last two is that paypal express appears before the checkout payment page while paypal standard appears on the payment page. The last two do not usually need the IPN setting in your account. All of these require the customer to leave your site and go to paypal to make the payment.

Paid versions: there is only version as far as paypal is concerned (Paypal WPP, sometimes called Paypal Pro), but there are a number of contributions for it with different names. This version allows the customer to remain on your site while making the payment.

As for testing the free versions, you can ask a friend or relative to place an order and then refund that order in your paypal account.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks! I just tried to create a dummy PP account but of course I can't pay from that dummy account since it wants to verify a real bank account before sending $. I guess I'll just have to trust that I set everything up correctly. A shame there is no way to test via PP w/o using their kludgy "sandbox".

I wasn't clear on my dummy account. Sorry about that.

That dummy account is in my osC store.

I created an account there, with a real email address, etc. that I use now and then to go through a purchase to make sure all is working after I change the shop somehow.

For example, if there's some add on that may effect the checkout process, I would want to do a test run purchase.

Let's say I modified the shippping.php file for some reason. By going through a test run, using my osC dummy account I can make sure all the code is functioning properly.

I take each test run all the way to choosing my payment method <PayPal> right to the PayPal page where the payment is made. If I get there, that pretty much confirms all is OK.

Once verified I go back and clear my shopping cart and that's that.

Of course the best confirmation of all is when a real customer makes a purchase using PayPal and everything works. :thumbsup:

I wasn't clear on my dummy account. Sorry about that.

That dummy account is in my osC store.

I created an account there, with a real email address, etc. that I use now and then to go through a purchase to make sure all is working after I change the shop somehow.

For example, if there's some add on that may effect the checkout process, I would want to do a test run purchase.

Let's say I modified the shippping.php file for some reason. By going through a test run, using my osC dummy account I can make sure all the code is functioning properly.

I take each test run all the way to choosing my payment method <PayPal> right to the PayPal page where the payment is made. If I get there, that pretty much confirms all is OK.

Once verified I go back and clear my shopping cart and that's that.

Of course the best confirmation of all is when a real customer makes a purchase using PayPal and everything works. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies. I just asked a friend to purchase something from my store via PayPal to test. Hopefully everything will work! Thanks again for all the help and info!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I just asked a friend to purchase something from my store via PayPal to test. Hopefully everything will work! Thanks again for all the help and info!

Should these areas be blank? How do I know what to put here?

Your Private Key

The location and filename of your private key to use for signing the payment transaction.

Your Public Certificate

The location and filename of your public certificate to use for signing the payment transaction.

The location and filename of the PayPal public key to use for encrypting the payment transaction.

The public certificate ID that PayPal should use to decrypt the payment transaction. This is defined at your PayPal Encrypted Payment Settings Profile page.

Working Directory

The working directory to create temporary files. All files created are automatically deleted when they are no longer needed.

OpenSSL Location