• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce v 2.3 - when?

scandic_outlet

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm wrong, but this here in product_info.php, doesn't look ok to me (lines 83-106)

<?php
       $pi_counter = 0;
       while ($pi = tep_db_fetch_array($pi_query)) {
         $pi_counter++;

$pi_entry = '        <li><a href="';

if (tep_not_null($pi['htmlcontent'])) {
           $pi_entry .= '#piGalimg_' . $pi_counter;
         } else {
           $pi_entry .= tep_href_link(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $pi['image']);
         }

$pi_entry .= '" target="_blank" rel="fancybox">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $pi['image']) . '</a></li>';

if (tep_not_null($pi['htmlcontent'])) {
           $pi_entry .= '<div style="display: none;"><div id="piGalimg_' . $pi_counter . '">' . $pi['htmlcontent'] . '</div></div>';
         }

$pi_entry .= '</li>';

echo $pi_entry;
       }
?>

Is there not a closing </li> too much?

create_account's file has an unstable display :add in stylesheet.css :

.contentContainer h2 {.../...  padding-left: 0pt;  padding-right: 0pt;}

section of the bug report is out

Hi Gaz..

Between 2010-11-08 00:00:00 and 2010-11-12 23:59:00.

Kind regards,

LOL i like it!

Just want to say what a fantastic job you are all doing and it's much appreciated by many hundreds of thousands of store owners around the world. Looking forward to the final release so i can finish off the current github 2.3 version i have. :thumbsup:

I have to say that I am rather impressed by the 2.3, there are a couple of additions I feel shouldn't be there, but overall, excellent.

Also the fact that announcements are being made more often and that the osC Team has a new lease of life and is more open.

Well done Harald, Mark, Nick and all the other community members who are bug hunting and helping out.

hello

i am a bit confused. is v2.3 and v3.0 two different or the same?

thanks for the clarification in advance

valerif

They are different, and V3.0 has it's own forum. This one is for V2.x series. Hope that clarifies.

They are different, and V3.0 has it's own forum. This one is for V2.x series. Hope that clarifies.

thank you for the clarification

in your opinion will be easy to upgrade a heavily modified store build on 2.2 to 2.3?

regards

thank you for the clarification

in your opinion will be easy to upgrade a heavily modified store build on 2.2 to 2.3?

regards

In my opinion it won't be easy, but there is an upgrade guide provided here:

http://www.oscommerce.info/confluence/display/OSCDOC22/Upgrade+Guide

You will be able to update your store at least with regards to security and PHP 5 compatibility by following the steps up to the template system change, then it will become more challenging for a heaviliy modded store.

First off Congrats to the OsC team on V2.3, can't wait for the release.

Q: I hate to ask something that's already been asked, but were working on a couple of sites that is heavily modified and just wanted to know how compatible 2.3 will be with the all the add-ons. ( we haven't tested 2.3 yet and am still using Rc2a)

Thanks in advance :)

First off Congrats to the OsC team on V2.3, can't wait for the release.

Q: I hate to ask something that's already been asked, but were working on a couple of sites that is heavily modified and just wanted to know how compatible 2.3 will be with the all the add-ons. ( we haven't tested 2.3 yet and am still using Rc2a)

Thanks in advance :)

Most of the add-ons should work. There may be some which require minor html clean-up but other than that I don't think there should be a problem.

Sorry to be late pitching in with congrats and thanks to the team, but yes, I will be very pleased and very grateful when it hits the streets.

Just a thought on the near future for the team - With a major structural change in 2.3 from 2.2x related to CSS-driven instead of table-driven structure, the contributions repository could probably do with a classification split - something along the lines of -

- contribs for osC up to 2.2RC2a

- contribs for osC 2.3

- contribs for osC 3.0+

That way, the contrib authors / maintainers can retain one version for a table-based osC platform, and a different version for CSS-based osC as a stepping stone to the new modular system in osC 3+

This would save a lot of grief, angst, and frustration from inexperience store owners tried to make the wrong series of contribs fit their store.

It would also allow for the clear separation of the PHP 5.3 mandatory contribs for osC 3+ and could allow a "guidance" that osC 2.3 contribs should be PHP 5.x only compliant, dropping the PHP 3.x and 4.x support from within them - this too would bring them closer to readiness for osC 3+'s need for PHP 5.3

It's easier to suggest than implement I know, but I think it would be an important nudge for the contrib devs, and a very prominent assist to store builders.

Gaz

Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

Just a thought on the near future for the team - With a major structural change in 2.3 from 2.2x related to CSS-driven instead of table-driven structure, the contributions repository could probably do with a classification split - something along the lines of -

- contribs for osC up to 2.2RC2a

- contribs for osC 2.3

- contribs for osC 3.0+

Gaz

I totally agree with Gary - I was about to build a totally new code base on osctocss due to the CSS relpacing the tables, and will probably use 2.3 for that now, however there will be many many people who will be adding the basics to 2.3, articles manager, coupons, SEO etc and it would be an excellent move to have a new place for 2.3 compatible conversions of existing and new contributions.

I think Harald has possible saved oscommerce by doing this move - my heart is with the speed of oscommerce, but my customers are wanting much more sophistication and this comes with so many other shop products already built in that I fear osc has already lost the battle, however 2.3 maybe a watershed moment for it.

My top osc contributions conversions to 2.3 if anyone is interested would be:

1. Pages (Articles) management

2. Auto sizing (thumbs/mid/big) 1 upload images

3. CAPCHA on register/emails/tell a friend

4. SEO/Header Tags (not sure what 2.3 offers)

5. Renderable modules (read boxes but placeable in multiple templates)

6. Multiple templates based on page name + parameters

7. Attributes INPUT elements (that if filled attract a price)

8. Access to admin functions limited by admin role (at the least Admin, and Staff - with orders access only)

9. A content block capability (like a module/box but without the formatting, still editable in html)

10. Robust import/export of products and other content.

I already have most of this in an RC2 product but will do it all again for 2.3. Hoping to share the load though..

I love how most new carts have implemented most of these features out the box, v3 of Oscommerce really has to think about being modular to the nth degree to be viable against the new gen carts. However I still like the SPEED of osc with a large product volume. I suspect this is a key factor in the future of carts, and I know a few new ones that are too sluggish to be interesting.

Interestingly it's pretty hard to not argue that if Harald can do this much amazing work on 2.3 in such a short time, that he cares little for the future of osc v3 by the lack of progress on the project in the time. Whatever has decided to get Harald back into business, we applaud it and look to great things SOON :)

I love how most new carts have implemented most of these features out the box, v3 of Oscommerce really has to think about being modular to the nth degree to be viable against the new gen carts. However I still like the SPEED of osc with a large product volume. I suspect this is a key factor in the future of carts, and I know a few new ones that are too sluggish to be interesting.

Interestingly it's pretty hard to not argue that if Harald can do this much amazing work on 2.3 in such a short time, that he cares little for the future of osc v3 by the lack of progress on the project in the time. Whatever has decided to get Harald back into business, we applaud it and look to great things SOON :)

Thanks for the support on the suggestion, and I think the first of your paragraphs I've quoted is a key point - the osC project needs to have awareness that the days of narrow inventory online retailing are over. The survivors for the next decade are going to be those with variety and width in their inventory - niche focussing is struggling despite the best efforts of search engines to keep people pinned in that way. Those with broad coverage (dare I say scattergunning?) are the ones getting the attention - as demonstrated by the 3rd-party marketplaces and the mega-etailers. For osCommerce to serve that sector of the market, it needs to keep the core speed at a maximum, which means avoiding database bloat from peripheral functionality, and restraining user tendency to load everything plus a dozen kitchen sinks onto each page.

However, I can't agree that Harald cares little for the future of osC 3 - remember it's not so long ago that he had a big distraction when someone tried to steal the copyright and trademark of the osCommerce name. Harald fought a valiant and successful fight to keep it where it belongs. Additionally, it's been said since summer that osC Final / osC 2.3 was being rushed in order to finalise the 2.x series and allow sole focus on v 3.0 - I feel that's the correct path given the long standing situation with lack of releases.

osC has survived due to contribs for too long and it was well past overdue for core to get a major revamp. My way of looking at it, is that by pushing tableless CSS now, it gets a major burden out of the way for contrib developers before they need to focus on the different mechanics of v3.0 - i.e. they can de-tabilise their code now, then worry about hooks and activation points later. 2.3 gives a natural break point in the larger task facing them - they should be thankful for that, whether it has happened by accident or design, Harald needs lauded for introducing it now.

Meanwhile ... I'm clock watching until Friday - really looking forward to it arriving, and trying hard to clear the decks for that happening.

Gaz

Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

I see Harald is still updating 2.3 up to the last minute before release.

I for one am waiting to be the first to get this long awaited update so that we can start seeing some more creatively designed websites on the net. With the new features, particularly the image features and CSS features, there will start to be be some more interesting sites made with osCommerce.

HINT HINT HINT:.........why not make a competition for the best site based of 2.3. This will get people interested in the project again and will help to promote it.

However, I can't agree that Harald cares little for the future of osC 3...

Fair enough - I guess we'll see!

osC has survived due to contribs for too long and it was well past overdue for core to get a major revamp...

Absolutely..

Whether it has happened by accident or design, Harald needs lauded for introducing it now...

I think if it was not delivered now, oscommerce would be pretty much sunk - there's lots of great competition and as you say, the table > css conversion is a major part of this, as long as its w3c compliant :)

Meanwhile ... I'm clock watching until Friday - really looking forward to it arriving, and trying hard to clear the decks for that happening.

Absolutely! me too..

Till then!

Oh - and where is the release going to be announced? I assume the oscommerce homepage? or github?

Oh - and where is the release going to be announced? I assume the oscommerce homepage? or github?

I'll send out a tweet when all bug reports have been addressed, and again when v2.3 is tagged at Github. After some more testing, the release will be announced with a newsletter and will be available for download on our website.

There is still some work to do so it will be released tonight (CET)

:thumbsup:

:heart:, osCommerce

I'll send out a tweet when all bug reports have been addressed, and again when v2.3 is tagged at Github. After some more testing, the release will be announced with a newsletter and will be available for download on our website.

There is still some work to do so it will be released tonight (CET)

:thumbsup:

Thanks Harald, looking forward to it immensely.. Don't drink many caffeine drinks! lol..

Archived