• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OsCommerce v 2.3 - when?

scandic_outlet

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foxy - you've got a bug in your skin selector - instead of being a drop down, it's a drop up, that then puts most of the menu "off screen" and non selectable. (witnessed using FireFox 3.6.12 - didn't check in IE as I only have 6.5 this end)

Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

:thumbsup:

v2.3 is now tagged at Github! And it's available for download! :-)

http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/downloads

The Newsletter is now being prepared to announce the official release.

Kind regards,

Hi Harald, thank you very much for the new version; excellent work!

Once small request. Could it be possible to have the file "upgrade_guide.pdf" as html or even standard txt file? Like on previous upgrades.

I think it is easier to "cut and paste" from html or txt file than from pdf file.

Regard,

Joseph

#Joseph

Once small request. Could it be possible to have the file "upgrade_guide.pdf" as html or even standard txt file? Like on previous upgrades.

I think it is easier to "cut and paste" from html or txt file than from pdf file.

Regard,

Joseph

Here is a link to the upgrade guide:

http://www.oscommerce.info/confluence/display/OSCDOC22/Upgrade+Guide

It is not all up to date though. You can also follow the history of commits on github

Hi Joseph..

Each point in the upgrade guide has a link to view the patch online at Github. If you append ".diff" (without the quotes) to the url Github will even show you a text diff version.

Kind regards,

:heart:, osCommerce

Hi Joseph..

Each point in the upgrade guide has a link to view the patch online at Github. If you append ".diff" (without the quotes) to the url Github will even show you a text diff version.

Kind regards,

Harald

That's great for uber-techie developers, but terrifying and confusing for newbies and numpties - when I first started with osC in 2007, anything that used diff style instructions simply got scratched off my to-do list and promptly ignored. The reason was that it was far too technical for me at that time.

If you want osC 2.3 to bring in "fresh blood" to the user community, you need to have an "idiot's guide" version of the documentation. Like I've been saying for a long time, if you're not willing to loosen up control on core development, then at least loosen it up on documentation, so that a lot more reading material and how-to's can be generated.

Remember, not everyone has a professor's degree in systems development - osC needs to cater for the uninitiated too.

Gaz

Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

Harald

That's great for uber-techie developers, but terrifying and confusing for newbies and numpties - when I first started with osC in 2007, anything that used diff style instructions simply got scratched off my to-do list and promptly ignored. The reason was that it was far too technical for me at that time.

If you want osC 2.3 to bring in "fresh blood" to the user community, you need to have an "idiot's guide" version of the documentation. Like I've been saying for a long time, if you're not willing to loosen up control on core development, then at least loosen it up on documentation, so that a lot more reading material and how-to's can be generated.

Remember, not everyone has a professor's degree in systems development - osC needs to cater for the uninitiated too.

Gaz

I do agree with you, it will require a lot of work if you do it manually (and make sure you will not miss a ";" during cut a paste :-) )

But there are tools to do an upgrade the easy way.

One of them on Linux is application call "meld" it compare files and directories; I'm 100% sure there is equivalent on Windows (and not only one).

If you did a bit of customization, I hope you kept your notes (I always do), this way I know which file I changed and which one I didn't.

With the help of "meld" I can easily identify which file changed and which changes are mine.

And for the last part, run an upgrade on a backup server first.

#Joseph

In my opinion it is a lot easier to take the 2.3 core files and build your 2.2 mods onto that, than it is to upgrade ( and risk making whatever mistakes). Just figure out the HTML. The admin side is alot easier to convert than the front. How hard that it is depends on what mods you have.

One of them on Linux is application call "meld" it compare files and directories; I'm 100% sure there is equivalent on Windows (and not only one).

I use the Open Source WinMerge http://winmerge.org/ on the PC - it is excellent for comparing whole directories/files etc..

I just wish osCommerce had an update button like the other cart I am enjoying learning at the moment...

I am however enjoying the module style approach of 2.3, I am currently writing a new header tag module for title/description/meta and tags, instead of just the titles.

I plan to extend Osc 2.3, this time leaving the system tables intact and adding a new table for products called products_descriptions_extended, to store data for use with my new modules/files.

Its going to allow me to upgrade the core code without the issues caused by previous core/custom code merges to some degree. If anyone has any thoughts on this approach they would be welcome.

Cheers,

Pete

hello forum

Am curious if anyone has done any modifications like color or working with the background. I created an background image which will extend full width of page. Now in previous ver's, one just went to the stylesheet.css. In using Web Developer, it displays #bodyWrapper .container_24. So enter piece of code as I did with Rc2a. No changes. Finally found container_24 located in ext/960gs/960_24_col.stylesheet.css and type the code there. Still no results.

This is what I entered:

background-image:url('images/brown075.jpg');
background-repeat:repeat-x;

I realize there are some new folders and files, so wondering if I am missing something? Thank you.

@blr044

@pederb

Please start threads in the support and troubleshooting boards - this thread is about core development and release date - you're unlikely to attract the assistance you want by seeking help and support in this topic.

Gaz

@blr044

@pederb

Please start threads in the support and troubleshooting boards - this thread is about core development and release date - you're unlikely to attract the assistance you want by seeking help and support in this topic.

Gaz

Sorry about that. I was assuming this was the correct place.

Congratulations Harold!!!

I have a highly modified store and would like to know if someone can tell me what the benefits are of upgrading to 2.3

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo

Congratulations Harold!!!

I have a highly modified store and would like to know if someone can tell me what the benefits are of upgrading to 2.3

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo

If you go back a few pages, this was already answered in detail.

hello forum

Am curious if anyone has done any modifications like color or working with the background. I created an background image which will extend full width of page. Now in previous ver's, one just went to the stylesheet.css. In using Web Developer, it displays #bodyWrapper .container_24. So enter piece of code as I did with Rc2a. No changes. Finally found container_24 located in ext/960gs/960_24_col.stylesheet.css and type the code there. Still no results.

This is what I entered:

background-image:url('images/brown075.jpg');
background-repeat:repeat-x;

I realize there are some new folders and files, so wondering if I am missing something? Thank you.

see here: My link

Do not make changes to the grid960 stylesheets.

Add a new stylesheet, reference it in the page header and then new ID's or CLASS's for use. Remember you can have muliple classes; http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/364291-oscommerce-v-23-when/page__view__findpost__p__1542429

Also you can have a class AND an id at the same time.

<div class="this" id="that">hello</div>

.this {
  background: blue;
  color: white;
}

#that {
  border: 20px solid black;
}

Also you can have a class AND an id at the same time.

It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!

Just be aware that CSS has some difficult to understand rules about how cascaded sheets interact and when you have multiple conflicting instances of a property (e.g., multiple colors from different rules and selectors). In general, the more specific a rule is to a given screen element (e.g., an id rather than a class, or a class rather than an HTML tag), the higher its priority. Multiple classes can be a real pain, and not all browsers handle them quite the same (especially if you have a "selector" with multiple classes chained together, e.g., .class1.class2 {...).

Just a "heads up" so when you do something more than very simple CSS, you know that you may have to do some digging to figure out which definition of a CSS property is being applied in a particular case.

It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!

Just be aware that CSS has some difficult to understand rules about how cascaded sheets interact and when you have multiple conflicting instances of a property (e.g., multiple colors from different rules and selectors). In general, the more specific a rule is to a given screen element (e.g., an id rather than a class, or a class rather than an HTML tag), the higher its priority. Multiple classes can be a real pain, and not all browsers handle them quite the same (especially if you have a "selector" with multiple classes chained together, e.g., .class1.class2 {...).

Just a "heads up" so when you do something more than very simple CSS, you know that you may have to do some digging to figure out which definition of a CSS property is being applied in a particular case.

Really nice explanation by mrP here I think.

I have to confess that css hierarchy and priorities are a subject that I really haven't got a full handle on yet. ( note to self )

Chaining classes in a selector for me are a key aspect of css coding especially if you are able to build your own little "reusable framework" to cut down the single use classes. Also fantastically useful when pushing and pulling classes via javascript.

Or you could ditch IE and run FireFox with FireBug installed, and use that for examining the loaded page to identify each element of loaded html and css - it's saved me countless days of head scratching and trial and error.

Or you could ditch IE and run FireFox with FireBug installed, and use that for examining the loaded page to identify each element of loaded html and css - it's saved me countless days of head scratching and trial and error.

I normally use FF and Firebug, but was suprised the other day to see that IE8 has a 'firebug' style tool built in that is actually quite good.. (for looking at classes etc)

Load a page in IE 8, Hit F12 to load the Developer Tools (DOM Browser), and then CTL+B and click on an element.. :)

Microsofts motto.. "If you cant beat them, join them begrudgingly...."

Archived