• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Importing existing MySQL table to osCommerce?

obcbeatle

Hello:

osCommerce newbie here. I just installed OSC via my web hosters script and have been now searching these forums trying to figure out how to import an existing MySQL table of sale items into OSC, preferably via phpAdmin? Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Jerry,

If you already have an SQL dump then you just have to run the SQL query using phpmyadmin. However, if the database is CSV or another file type, then you will have to install something like Easy Populate then import the database into your store.

Chris

Sounds like the data you have is from another "shop", as such it would be difficult to import it as associated table need to be created such as manufacturer, category, product description.

If you export it to a csv file them with a bit of resequencing of columns, adding the "correct" column titles the data can be imported using a contribution such as EasyPopulate.

You will need to download this and install it following the installation instructions that are "included" with the download.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Sounds like the data you have is from another "shop", as such it would be difficult to import it as associated table need to be created such as manufacturer, category, product description.

If you export it to a csv file them with a bit of resequencing of columns, adding the "correct" column titles the data can be imported using a contribution such as EasyPopulate.

You will need to download this and install it following the installation instructions that are "included" with the download.

HTH

G

Thank you for the replies! I have a MySQL db with some tables and some simple php files that I created and currently use on my web site for selling items. The reason I installed osCommerce was because my web site and php coding for selling was rather crude and didn't have an e-commerce component. The db/tbls are something like itemID, itemVendor, itemDesc, itemCost, etc. Being new to osCommerce I'm trying to get my head around how I can export/import my db/tbls to OSCommerce so I don't have to re-enter thousands of items. I know how to do a MySQL dump, but I'm a little fuzzy still on how to get the data dump into osCommerce (import into the osCommerce db that was created when I installed from web host's script!? Can I create another osCommerce db/tbl to dump into!?). Part of my problem at the moment is I'm also configuring the osCommerce security per another forum and I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment with all this new osCommerce configuration :-) Many thanks for any advice and the replies!

Archived