• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How Do I Add On My Add-On?

EdwardPalmer

Hi,

Thank you to everyone that helped me find the add ons that I needed!

Now, I just need to know how I go about adding then on to my store so they will go live.

Thanks for helping this wet-behind-the-ears newbie out!!

Edward

Edward, I am still a semi-newbie but maybe I can help a bit.

Each add on should come with instructions that you should follow to the letter. OK, it's true that an add on author sometimes screws up their own directions, but hey...even coders are human. :)

Read the directions, follow the direction is the mantra.

All that presupposes you have a decent FTP program to upload the modified files to your server. I use SmartFTP, it's great but I had to pay a little for it.

And you really should have a good text editor to do any edits. I use Notepad++, it's good and free.

Add a file compare program to you package and you are well on the way. I use Winmerge, it's good and free.

Good luck.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Edward, I am still a semi-newbie but maybe I can help a bit.

Each add on should come with instructions that you should follow to the letter. OK, it's true that an add on author sometimes screws up their own directions, but hey...even coders are human. :)

Read the directions, follow the direction is the mantra.

All that presupposes you have a decent FTP program to upload the modified files to your server. I use SmartFTP, it's great but I had to pay a little for it.

And you really should have a good text editor to do any edits. I use Notepad++, it's good and free.

Add a file compare program to you package and you are well on the way. I use Winmerge, it's good and free.

Good luck.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response!

I will download the two programs you speak of, and then follow the instruction of the add-ons I want to use to the letter.

Everyone cross their fingers!

Edward

P.S. If the internet blows up in the next few hours, you know who did it. Sorry ;-)