• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Latest version of our osCommerce site

Hello everybody,

As I've done in the past I'm just posting a link to our store to get everyone's opinion and criticism :) osCommerce has done us good and I definitely want to share my experience.

http://www.janescloset.com

Some quick notes on our history with osCommerce. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to mention it but here goes.

Back in June of 2006 we opened our website with osCommerce heavily modified with user contributions and our own modifications. The primary user contributions I can think of off the top of my head are:

Purchase Without Account

State/County Tax (modified by yours truly to handle NY Clothing Exemption)

STS

Product Attributes

Quick forward to 2010 and after some research we STILL think osCommerce or a variant of it is the best option. The only reason we didn't switch to an oscmax or its cousins is because our own modification to the Shopping Cart and Order classes would be painful to carry over. I was surprised to find out that no other shopping cart has tax exemption built into it (at least according to my google searches). Some of the other hot shopping cart systems out there seem to have an even more complex code base than osCommerce so that definitely drove me away. Interested in 3.0 but it does not seem production ready.

So things to note about our new site. We went away, away from complex javascript widgets except for jquery fancybox.

We totally re-did the checkout process, the steps are:

1. cart/with login

2. billing/shipping with possible registration

3. confirmation/payment

4. finish.

If anyone has questions about this I am more than happy to help/explain how it works.

Regards,

Roy Rim

PS is it ok to do a shoutout to the people who helped design our store?

www.pimostudio.com

www.themonochromats.com

So, very nice site - incredibly clean and simple. And, everything is well done - the images are great, the presentation is great, and the product descriptions are brief, but I guess that they are good enough. It seems that you have done a great job with the shopping cart and the Check Out Now button is a nice addition on the product info page. I'm not sure that I see anything that would make me want to buy from your store (but I don't have any interest in your products). But, if you have been around for 4 years and are expanding, then I guess that you have enough attraction built in to it to make it work. It seems that everyone who is into web is looking for blogging, blogging, blogging - and it seems that your "Look" section does that visually. But, adding some info on the designers who are listed to help to connect visitors to them (like as part of the display of the search results when a visitor uses your designer pull-down menu), or having some customer feedback would be good additions.

Little issues, the link to Show All, when you are going to http://www.janescloset.com/catalog/products_new.php, doesn't work. And, when you click on the main home page image, the site goes to this link, but it's not at all clear that is where it has gone - looked like a bunch of dresses to me.

It's nice to see someone doing well with OSC.

tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply and finding that issue! I will fix when I can :) We will probably be adding a blog link but I do kind of feel like it would be a case of the "me toos".

Regards,

Roy

So, very nice site - incredibly clean and simple. And, everything is well done - the images are great, the presentation is great, and the product descriptions are brief, but I guess that they are good enough. It seems that you have done a great job with the shopping cart and the Check Out Now button is a nice addition on the product info page. I'm not sure that I see anything that would make me want to buy from your store (but I don't have any interest in your products). But, if you have been around for 4 years and are expanding, then I guess that you have enough attraction built in to it to make it work. It seems that everyone who is into web is looking for blogging, blogging, blogging - and it seems that your "Look" section does that visually. But, adding some info on the designers who are listed to help to connect visitors to them (like as part of the display of the search results when a visitor uses your designer pull-down menu), or having some customer feedback would be good additions.

Little issues, the link to Show All, when you are going to http://www.janescloset.com/catalog/products_new.php, doesn't work. And, when you click on the main home page image, the site goes to this link, but it's not at all clear that is where it has gone - looked like a bunch of dresses to me.

It's nice to see someone doing well with OSC.

tony

Archived