• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

yay finally finished setting up OSC :D

hey,

I just wanted to get some feedback on our website...

www.northernlightspcs.com

it took a bit of modification of some OSC code to get it like that, but I am really happy with how it turned out :)

-Paddy

You should have posted this in the My Store section of the forum for review.

It is extremely slow to load on my 56k dial up account. Might want to do some work on the size of your graphics. They look very good.

That looks pretty good. You might want to make "log yourself in" and "create an account" stand out a bit more. It doesn't look at all like a hyperlink and some people looking at the page for the first time might not know to click there.

You should have posted this in the My Store section of the forum for review.

Moved.

Looks nice. Loaded a bit slow indeed, but not annoyingly slow (ADSL here)

Regards,

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

yeah sorry about that heh

k.. I will work on making the graphics a bit smaller.

fixed the links so they stand out more.

Paddy,

I didn't check any of the graphics sizes earlier.....but I just checked the header......It's 133Kb!!!! The whole page shouldn't be that big.

Instead of jpeg.....try png. I played with it a bit and using png/64 colors I got it down to about 14k.....which is tolerable.

yeah... I just saved all the images at half the quality they were before...

the header is now 44kb...

the entire layout is now 128kb

44kb is still a bit on the large size for a header graphic, I'd suggest you convert it to a gif and rip out most of the colours to get it looking acceptable using say 16 to 32 colours. You can always play off dithereing against the number of colours in the gif until you find an acceptable compromise in the size versus visual acceptability stakes.

You can certainly use png files on the web, but you can have all sorts of hassles with the way they render (if at all) in older browsers and even in newer ones as well. This can get quite ugly particularly when using advanced png features such as alpha or rgb channel transparencies. Have a look at http://trific.ath.cx/web/png/ for a decent overview of the things to watch out for.

don't forget the SID killer. if a search engine indexes your site and appends a SID, all users referred by that site will have the same SID. 2 users from that search engine sharing the same SID will also share the same cart and may be able to see each other's personal info...

check the contributions section for SID killer...

Looks good, though.

Archived