• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Comments for test site, please :)

emiliano

Hello, after 2 months of learning how to deal with OSC i decided to upload a test site just to hear your comments...

please notice that buttons are still the osc standars as well as the english language pack..

please try to destroy my ego.. :) any comment would be appreciated...

cheers

emiliano

ps: i will hire someone to change my english language pack.. because my english sucks!

patagonia, argentina

Emiliano;

You have a great start there - I really like the overall 'feel', crisp and clean without a lot of clutter.

You seem to have some code issues though. If you click on the main categories like 'Travel', this shows at the top of the page

1146 - Table 'emiliano.NEWSDESK_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION' doesn't exist

select cd.categories_name, c.categories_image from newsdesk_categories c, NEWSDESK_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION cd where c.categories_id = '1' and cd.categories_id = '1' and cd.language_id = '1'

but the sub-category 'Circuits' appears to be fine.

(and, by the way, it's a sad thing to admit but your english is very possibly better than that of some native english speakers who have "successfully" managed to make it into high school - or beyond :wink: )

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

It looks excellent to me, nice to see someone not just changing the colours in the stylesheet and thinking they have customised the interface! Nice work.

One thing I did notice, you might want to make the page background a bit wider, at 1280 x 1024 it begins to repeat itself. Also, ditch the cheesy osc cartoons for something a bit more professional looking.

thanks for replying!

@ muggity

yes.. i know the newsdesk table problem..

i will work on that tonight

about my english.. i think that it's ok to chat with someone, but it's not profesional to use it in a commercial site, what do you think?!

@ chingali

i'll do the background thing NOW.

when you said cheesy osc cartoons, what are you trying to say?

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

about my english.. i think that it's ok to chat with someone, but it's not profesional to use it in a commercial site, what do you think?!

I think that, for a professionally done site, you would probably want to have a professional translation done for any language the wasn't native to you.

(I was mostly making a cynical reference to what I see as a lack of basic learning that seems all too prevalent in some of our young people coming out of the public school system in our country) But your english is pretty good :wink:

... if you want to REALLY see something that doesn't set up right out of the box without some tweaking,

try being a Foster Parent!

1600 * 1200? that?s a high resolution!

are you able to see the style "small" font?

i will enlarge the background again.. :D

thanks all for your comments, but i need to keep on working on the site.. i don?t like at all the products/news article listing..

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

I use 1600x1200 with a 19" monitor.

The grey bar still repeats itself.

You might consider using absolute values rather than percentages?

But it's looking very nice. Keep up the good work.

Really nice. Looks professional and still is not too many images as decoration. I like.

You do have a lot of wasted space on the rigth (in the content section). Are you planning to add something there ?

"Use no way as way, have no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

wasted space... it?s a problem, because i have to deal with people who uses 800 * 600 and people who uses 1600 * 1200 and as i?m using fixed width it?s a BIG problem... i?ll try to use 100% of monitor space, but i just like how it look with 770 pixels (width)...

another suggestion?

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

if i center the table i should add border (plain, width="1") to it... i will think about it.. but thanks anyway!!! and keep on working on this amazing project PLEASE!!! if sometime i get rich (eventough if i made rich without osc) i will donate to the project.. meanwhile as an argentinian university student i will help with contributions...

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

I would say don't center it (have it left aligned) and use a fixed width for the entire table. For users who use a resolution higher than that which the website was optimized for, they just get white space on the side, which is no biggy, it's obvious that the layout ends when the header and content and everything stops.

in the website in my sig, I use absolute values, the website is optimized for 1024x768, but at higher resolutions it still looks the same.

imo, it's not important to use 100% of the monitor space, but it is important to use most of the space that you do allocate for your design so things don't look all spaced out and out of proportion and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

are the rounded bottoms new ?

I don't remember them the first time I looked .. but I think they don't fit .. For me it just kinda messes up the flow/lines of a beautiful site.

no punching ;)

Archived