• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need a text editor for Admin in OsCommerce v2.2 RC2

lucilled

Does anyone know of any good add-on that I can use so that the Admin can customize their Welcome message and/or About Us section on their OsCommerce's homepage?

I've researched many different add-ons to see if this is doable but I'm having a tough time finding the right one. I found this one add-on: TinyMCE WYSIWYG HTML EDITOR and have tried setting it up, but no luck. I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for though.

Can someone please lead me into the right direction to find a good add-on so that the Administrator of the OsCommerce store can modify her text by herself?

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

~Lucille

Lucille,

There is TinyMCE, CKEditor and FCKEditor all of which will add the ability for the admin to use a WYSIWYG feature for creating new pages and editing the product descriptions. However since the installation of each differs slightly you will have to read the installation instructions to determine which is best for you.

I personally use IPU (Information Page Unlimited) and FCK Editor when I configure a site, but again you should see what is best for you.

Chris

Lucille,

There is TinyMCE, CKEditor and FCKEditor all of which will add the ability for the admin to use a WYSIWYG feature for creating new pages and editing the product descriptions. However since the installation of each differs slightly you will have to read the installation instructions to determine which is best for you.

I personally use IPU (Information Page Unlimited) and FCK Editor when I configure a site, but again you should see what is best for you.

Chris

Thanks Chris for your quick reply.

I've read through the Install files within the instructions in the TinyMCE files and other add-ons too, but was still experiencing a hard time getting it to work.

How would I go about setting up IPU and FCK Editor, and will these work within OsCommerce v2.2 RC2?

Hi Lucille,

The installation is fairly basic and these should work fine with your version. FCK editor actually has an autoinstaller but make sure you back up your files first.

Chris

Hi Lucille,

The installation is fairly basic and these should work fine with your version. FCK editor actually has an autoinstaller but make sure you back up your files first.

Chris

Are these the two add-ons you speak of?

1. Information Pages Unlimited v1.0
  2. FCK Edit shipping, conditions, privacy, contact us, index & about us pages from admin.

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed the ckEditor as per the included instructions, and then test installation with the sample file provided. Everything fine up to this point. I then logged in to the admin back end to enter some products, but text editor that showed up is still the same old original text editor. Being a newbie and a first timer to this forum, I really appreciate if anyone can help in pointing out the right direction to resolve this problem.

henry

I have installed the ckEditor as per the included instructions, and then test installation with the sample file provided. Everything fine up to this point. I then logged in to the admin back end to enter some products, but text editor that showed up is still the same old original text editor. Being a newbie and a first timer to this forum, I really appreciate if anyone can help in pointing out the right direction to resolve this problem.

henry

Hi Henry,

Can you provide a link to the correct module that you installed?

Hi Henry,

Can you provide a link to the correct module that you installed?

Hi! Lucille,

I downloaded the CKEditor ver. 3.3.1 from http://ckeditor.com/.'>http://ckeditor.com/. Below is the installation instructions:

Installing CKEditor is a easy task. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Download the latest version of the editor from our web site: http://ckeditor.com/

2. Extract (decompress) the downloaded file to a directory called "ckeditor" in the root of your web site.

Note: You can place the files in whichever path at your web site. "ckeditor" is the default one.

Checking Your Installation

The editor comes with a few sample pages that can be used to verify that installation proceeded properly. Take a look at the _samples directory.

To test your installation just call the following page at your web site:

http://<your site>/<CKEditor installation path>/_samples/index.html

For example:

http://www.example.com/ckeditor/_samples/index.html