• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site description in search engines

younmever

Hello forum members,

When I look for my site in search engines like google and yahoo, they have my site's description inappropriately.

I mean instead of saying like 'welcome to .... we have ...', they all have like 'an item description' or sometimes ' footer information' or etc.

Do you guys know how to change the description in the search engines?

Thanks a lot

If you don't have a meta tags contribution installed, you should do so. If you then fill in the meta description tag with descriptive text, the search engines may use it. Google is pushing sites to have descriptive descriptions and is more likely to use those that are. If they decide that your description does not represent the page it is for, they will build their own from text on the page. They may do this even with a descriptive description though. There isn't any controlling it. You can only suggest to them what you want.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack,

I just found about the meta tag, and figured out.

I modified some in the index.php. So let's see what's going to happen.

Have a good one Jack.

But keep in mind, you still don't totally control it! -grin- Google will display the meta desc they want, and simply consider your set one as 'advice'. You can test this by searching for different snippets from different parts of your page, and for different searches, different descriptions will pop up... I just wanted to emphasize this because I don't want to see you get frustrated or discouraged if you start setting meta descs, and still find google won't use them. ; ) Somtimes they will, sometimes they won't, and figuring out when is the secret sauce. ; )

Thanks for your advise, Susan.

I know they don't always come, and they don't always change it even though they come on time.

Let't see what happens

I've already changed desc information in the index.php.

Have a good one, Susan

Archived