• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

need and easy thumbnail add on

Hi,

I am just trying to find an easy thumbnail add on. I recently reviewed one called Club Oscommerce Easy Thumbnail. What I am confused about is changing and backing up my SQL database. I don't exactly know how to do that. I don't even really understand the darn thing and maybe it is my host provider's control panel for it, I don't know.

Is there anywhere that offers a competent tutorial on how to manage databases?

I tried using a different thumbnail add on but it didn't make sense. Also, we currently don't have GD Library etc. to use automatic thumbnails or fancy pop up boxes - I would love to work with that but that is a little beyond what I am ready to tackle.

Bottom line, I am only using oscommerce's automatic "squishing" of the big image which we made our images a certain size so that proportionally it works fine but I want to speed up our store. We have about 250 products/images now so that is a lot of pages to change to thumbnails but I am looking for a way to make our store run better.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Kelly

Okay, let me expand on my question.

I found an add-on that says to configure the SQL database as follows (this is just a portion of the install):

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Thumbnail Width', 'THUMBNAIL_WIDTH', '200', 'Thumbnail Image Width', '50', '3', now());

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, date_added) VALUES ('Thumbnail Height', 'THUMBNAIL_HEIGHT', '200', 'Thumbnail Image Height(will not work if aspect ratio is true)', '50', '4', now());

What if I want a thumbnail that is 100 x 100, is it possible to just change the number '50' in this add-on to '100' to customize the thumbnail I want?

I just want to make thumbnails for my existing images and do not want to use an automatic thumbnailer. We are artists so doing things manually in our photoshop is not a problem.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks again,

Kelly

After you run the the sql file into your db, you will then get the options in your shop admin under configuration >> images and can change the values there.

If you want to manually make thumbnails you can look at one of these:

Ultrapics up-to 6 images and thumbnails pr. product. (If you dont want lightbox or similar you might have to go to one of the older versions like UltraPics 2.04)

older and "simpler"

you can add 1 thumbnail, 1 medium and 1 large image for a product.

Sm,Med,and Lg Images

After you run the the sql file into your db, you will then get the options in your shop admin under configuration >> images and can change the values there.

If you want to manually make thumbnails you can look at one of these:

Ultrapics up-to 6 images and thumbnails pr. product. (If you dont want lightbox or similar you might have to go to one of the older versions like UltraPics 2.04)

older and "simpler"

you can add 1 thumbnail, 1 medium and 1 large image for a product.

Sm,Med,and Lg Images

Thank you! I have to laugh the "older and simpler" sounds just like me...ha, ha, ha! Just Kidding.

Thanks again!

You may also want to look at this one. Use the last version by Nate Welch. It is one of the original auto-thumbnailers and has and still does work well. It is also a very quick install.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 7 months later...

You may also want to look at this one. Use the last version by Nate Welch. It is one of the original auto-thumbnailers and has and still does work well. It is also a very quick install.

Unless that contrib has been revised in a newer version I would advise against using that one. It causes the server to check for new thumbnails everytime someone visits a products page, a lot of hits on your server checking for new images if you have any traffic at all. In fact it causes so many queries it triggered our spam/anti-virus software on the server and locked down one of our sites about a year and a half ago. A better solution would be one that thumbnails them when you upload it in admin so you don't have the excessive queries over and over everytime someone visits a products page.

Maybe someone that knows more than I can suggest a contribution that thumbnails in the admin instead of the catalog side?

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347