• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk v 1.4 --- Last call for suggestions ! ! !

moyashi

NewsDesk v1.4 is coming to code freeze.

I need a few more days and some beta testing done before I release to the contribs section this time.

I added quite a few more mods this time and we hopefully with a day or 2 moved all files to a folder within the modules directory. NewsDesk has grown beyond my expectations and realized I should do some early spring cleaning.

I'm also going to change the last remaining lower case variables that Emiliano has drawn my attention to.

what's included :?:

hehe, I'd rather surprise you all with a package of goodies.

Anyway,

1.) Last call for hacks that you want inserted. (sorry, multi-level mod/admin ... the time it would take is a little beyond what I can handle at the moment.)

2.) Looking for a few brave souls to act as beta testers.

Time is running out so act fast :D

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

Hiya moyoshi

I would like to suggest that there should be the option of making text in the Content section as Bold, Italic, or Underline.

Also, it should have the ability to display is paragraphs.

is it all possible?

you are already able to do that.

just insert your html tags.

Hiya moyoshi

I would like to suggest that there should be the option of making text in the Content section as Bold, Italic, or Underline.  

Also, it should have the ability to display is paragraphs.

is it all possible?

gnehc is correct. You can code html straight into the summary and content boxes. :D I'm lazy .... hint hint :wink:

yes, Talme I have your email I believe.

@ hacks

Emiliano provided me some code for stickies. However, I'm sure how you all want stickies to be handled.

Currently, NO stickies category shows up. (I just made a category for sticky postings. hmmm, maybe I should check if they work in regular news area) Stickies show up as recent news. NOW, my problem is do you all want boxes like the ones that osC give you or would you prefer just plain-Jane html?

just a question.... when you insert some text you can use html tags, but wouldn't be great to have a similar nuke feature in order to use paragrafh without <br> ???

as someone said beofre i think that this would be great...

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

moyashi...

products related to article? some infobox like "specials"

more images per article? there's a contribution for products.. you could adapted...

author field, eventhough there aren't groups with diferent levels, please include this field....

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

Thanks for keeping me busy Emiliano :D

MOpics mod is something I've looked at but ... everything is running on popups, since there are many folks who block popups ... hmmm ... I'm gonna have to ripe apart the whole newsdesk system just to add 2 more pics :(

products related to article???

I'm not sure what you're thinking here ...

You could use the url field to link to a product ...

Please explain more.

author field ... yeah ok, doesn't make sense to have unless you have the admin mod installed were you can delegate out priviledges. hehe, bug the dev team to code for mulit-users in the admin area :wink: IF we had that I could add more functions to NewsDesk ... hehe, news moderators and such ... but then ... a forum would be a better choice.

moyashi...

products related to article..

imagine that you wrote an article about cooking, so you want to display on a infobox some products that are from your product category "cooking"...

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

emiliano is right. having a 'autobreak' (at least) type of feature is

good for when you cut and paste a lot articles. which i just did prior and had to put in quite a few < p > tags manually.

i believe there's a 'html editor' contribution that utilizes javascript that

will do the trick moyashi of adding < br > tags as necessary ...

all of the "html" contribs won't work on most of the browsers. I'm a mac user on OSX using Mozilla and Chimera.

HTMLbar came up with a solution that works only with the latest version of Mozilla which I'm too lazy to download.

hehe, I hate being left in the dark. Besides, which most users don't keep up to date let alone live on the bleeding edge.

I will check into a "break" line ... but adding < B R > isn't that difficult :wink:

Also, osC has problems with parsing break lines :wink: anybody notice how all paragraphs merge into !1! :!: I posted a thread about this and have actually tried to code a work around but 1.) javascript is still basically a mystery to me 2.) I failed at my 2 day attempt. I ended only adding more breaks :cry:

I still haven't figured out why this wasn't addressed by the osC dev team in the beginning ... seems so fundamental to me :roll: OR :D they program like me :shock: forget to type more than "asdf" or "jhjksdfhskjdfhl" when testing :o

hi moyashi

do a string replace using php on the TEXT entered for the article

replace all "rn" with "rn< br >" tags (i think macs are just r or n -- so maybe have it configured somewhere to replace what type of tag depending on your os)

i think that should take care of it and also keep the paragraph intact

when you're editing it (aesthetics).

though, if you edit and it tries to insert the tags again .. then we have

a problem. so, maybe have to look in the text for 'tagupdated' keyword

or something and it won't update rn to br tags again.

I tried something like that.

$newsdesk_article_shorttext[1] = str_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_shorttext[1]);

$newsdesk_article_shorttext[2] = str_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_shorttext[2]);

$newsdesk_article_shorttext[3] = str_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_shorttext[3]);

$newsdesk_article_shorttext[4] = str_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_shorttext[4]);

$newsdesk_article_description[1] = ereg_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_description[1]);

$newsdesk_article_description[2] = ereg_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_description[2]);

$newsdesk_article_description[3] = ereg_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_description[3]);

$newsdesk_article_description[4] = ereg_replace("?n", "<br>", $newsdesk_article_description[4]);

problem was I kept adding the < br> tag ... then when the article was inserted as x2 all the break lines :oops:

The problem it seems is that the text field looks fine, even without the string replace, it's just before insert something goes wacky :roll:

ugh, any ideas?

Thanks Burt,

I'll check into that!

@ code help

anybody know of an easy way to clear out variables?

instead of ::

$foobar = '';

I'm trying to clear out like 10 variables.

@ update

Just finished a major mod. Spanned like 15 files. Well, at least I cleaned up some html and have started to add comments to some of the files so that editing is easier later :D

@ emiliano

hmm, I'm still not sure what you're trying to recommend.

@author mod

hmmm ... I'm gonna think about what needs to be done but ... another 20 file mod is a little too much for me to think about tonight.

Moyashi,

i think that this infobox would be place in newsdesk_info.php...

in an article you?re taling about how your car run all year without any oil change.. so in a infobox in your right/left column you have an infobox showing "whatever oil"... why? because you wrote the article to say to the people that they should buy "whatever oil" where to buy it? just click on the infobox!!!

it?s clear now?

about authors.. just add a field to insert the authors name.. 1.5 or 1.x will have users levels.. don?t worry about it..

cheers

emiliano

ps: this week i?ll not have my computer at home, because i have to move from my city to buenos aires in order to continue with my degree career! so i?m only going to participate in the forums.. not beta testing or something..

patagonia, argentina

I'll look into the info box a little more. I think I'm starting to understand what you're referring to.

@ author mod.

Yes, it's easy to add just a column, but you also have to consider add that little bit into each area where the article shows up. I like going all the way when doing a mod rather than just adding bits and pieces. I'll look into some more tonight. Problem is that I really need to build 3 sites which = $$$ while this mod is more for fun than trying to get donations.

@ user levels

hmmm .... I'm still 50/50 on this since then NewsDesk will become a full blog/forum rather than a article publish NewsDesk ...

I would love user levels though. I've actually been thinking about this for a while but I'd need to find a solid system to copy since osC doesn't have this ability natively.

www.php.net/nl2br

Thanks Burt ...

Looks like this might just do the trick :D

$news = nl2br($news);

Now, I just have to try it out a little more :shock:

OK, I froze the code for 1.4.

I need beta testers.

Especially, I would love to find someone willing to test the RSS feed. hahe, I have no honest to goodness clue how it actually works. :roll: Why add it? The code seemed easy enough to adjust for NewsDesk :P

Any volunteers?

I just tested with MS1 and things seem fine.

I'll be working a bit on the mysql updater file tonight.

Sorry, no file structure changes. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to get application_top.php called from the includes/modules/newsdesk/ directory. Sure I could hard code it but .... that's not the best solution for most users. Ahh, oh well.

:D Thanks :D

Files sent off.

ugh, I just realized that they're still tagged as v1.3 oh well.

I got the upgrade for mysql in there too ... hmmm .... I hope I didn't add any wipe out your data calls in there :roll:

Early thanks to the few souls who have started sending me their complaints.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

sorry for the simple human errors :cry:

Please keep the reports coming :D

:cry:

ugh, boy do I feel stupid. Sooo many simple mistakes I should have caught myself.

Thank you very much to the beta members!

It does look like that v1.4 is going to be a good one!

:D Yep, latest version installs much much better in MS1. I realized last night that when I shut down my text editor it didn't automatically save "ALL" the changes I had done. Unknowingly, I had packaged files that were supposed to have been edited but actually weren't. So, I've spent the last few days trouble shooting spots that emiliano pointed out.

Also, last night I've been working on changes that are needed for Loaded 5 patch 3. hmmm, a few spots aren't playing nice. Must be some kind of incombatibility somewhere.

Give me another night :D