• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Zone Rates in Shipping Module

Lucy Fox

Hi all

I get how you add zones and use the rates for weight etc to calculate shipping costs...BUT is there a way I can remove the option of calculating the weight and just having another standard charge for a different zone, where it doesn't matter how many items the customer purchases - the rate for say, Europe or United States would stay the same?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I get how you add zones and use the rates for weight etc to calculate shipping costs...BUT is there a way I can remove the option of calculating the weight and just having another standard charge for a different zone, where it doesn't matter how many items the customer purchases - the rate for say, Europe or United States would stay the same?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks

Ok, you need to clarify this question. Because it doesn't make sense. You want to remove the option of calculating the weight. Ok, zone rate is based on a weight table, which then begs the question, what is the method you want to use to calculate the shipping cost? A "standard charge". Is that a flat rate? Certainly if you have zone one set to the US and zone 2 set to any of a bunch of little countries in Europe, then whatever table you use for zone 1 won't have any effect on the price calculated for zone 2. You know about adding more zones, right? You go into includes/modules/shipping, code edit zones.php and you see the function "zones"? You change the line $this->num_zones = 1; to something like, say $this->num_zones = 11; Then you'll get more zone definitions than you can shake a stick at. But of course I'm sure you must have seen that already. There are loads of comments inside zones.php that point to that location and say "change this 1 to something else if you want more than one zone rule" so how could anyone miss it? You do have to uninstall your zone rate module and reinstall it after making this change to the zones.php file. Be sure to save your values because it will delete the tables from memory when you do this.

Ok, you need to clarify this question. Because it doesn't make sense. You want to remove the option of calculating the weight. Ok, zone rate is based on a weight table, which then begs the question, what is the method you want to use to calculate the shipping cost? A "standard charge". Is that a flat rate? Certainly if you have zone one set to the US and zone 2 set to any of a bunch of little countries in Europe, then whatever table you use for zone 1 won't have any effect on the price calculated for zone 2. You know about adding more zones, right? You go into includes/modules/shipping, code edit zones.php and you see the function "zones"? You change the line $this->num_zones = 1; to something like, say $this->num_zones = 11; Then you'll get more zone definitions than you can shake a stick at. But of course I'm sure you must have seen that already. There are loads of comments inside zones.php that point to that location and say "change this 1 to something else if you want more than one zone rule" so how could anyone miss it? You do have to uninstall your zone rate module and reinstall it after making this change to the zones.php file. Be sure to save your values because it will delete the tables from memory when you do this.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was aware of the option to add zones as you mention above (by editing zones.php) as picked this up from trawling the Forum, however it didn't seem to solve my issue. Although additional zones were added (great) they still all required me to fill out the 'zone shipping table' which is back to the weight issue. I actually ended up making it work for myself and decided to use the weight by editing each product in the end, however what I originally wanted, was to add other zones, but only at a single flat rate (standard charge that does not move up or down no matter how many items the customer orders). In the shipping modules, even when I added more zones, there remained one 'Flat Rate' option (which I want to keep as well as adding other flat rates for other countries). Hope that makes more sense!

If you want to set a flat rate for one of the table rates just list one price with one weight. dont forget to set a huge weight as the second rate or you will end up losing money hand over fist. havent tried it but it should work

I am trying desperately to set up something like this for multiple custom zones that each include a bunch of US States. I already have the zones set up but the zones.php only deals with countries, I can't get the MultiGeoZone Multitable module to work, and the while Table Rate module does recognize my zones it will only let me select one zone.

Any ideas on how I might be able to clone the Table Rate module or make zones.php work w/ my custom zones?

My problem with MZMT is that the import of the install sql fails because of a duplicate key error and so far nobody has suggested any way of editing the script to avoid the error.

So, right now I'm totally stuck.

Thanks for any advice.