• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Latest News V1.2

Hi all,

I have just installed the Latest News Contribution Version 1.2 http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/780

Everything installed ok and its working in Admin, however, there is one line in the install instructions that has me beat -

####[ ADD THIS LINE THERE WHERE YOU LIKE TO SHOW NEWS ]#######################

<?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_LATEST_NEWS); ?>

Now usually the instructions kinda point to the file and rough location of where to put the code, but in this case its just there.... in limbo as it were... So I have fiddled with the area where the "New Products for ...." is located and I cant seem to get the news box to pop up in catalog/index.php around lines 134 with the following code (and this seems to be the area in the OScommerce manual that suggests playing with this type of box):

// needed for the new products module shown below

$new_products_category_id = $current_category_id;

?>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS); ?></td>

</tr>

<!--- BEGIN Header Tags SEO Social Bookmarks -->

<?php if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_SOCIAL_BOOKMARKS == 'true')

include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'header_tags_social_bookmarks.php');

?>

<!--- END Header Tags SEO Social Bookmarks -->

</table></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

<?php

} elseif ($category_depth == 'products' || isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

It doesnt matter where I put the lastest news tag it just dosnt want to appear. I have made 2 new news articles to see if the default one was a bit iffy but even with all 3 active nothing appears.

I apologise in advance if this is just a really silly question to be asking, but Ive been fiddling with this for that long my brain is about to give up LOL.

Any suggestions, comments, help, prayers for my soul would be appreciated LOL

Cheers all!

PS: the typed up news articles do appear in the databse so they are there, just not displaying where I want them...directly above the New Products..

• 11 months later...

This addon with the latest update was designed for osC2.2 even there was a tip to help you adopt to v2.3.1, it is still not working with v2.3.1

I found that it is not only the problem where you are going to put those codes into, there are problems with New Files.

I spent a whole day to get it to work on my osC2.3.1 but i am no programmer, I know there are many many mistakes but it worked for me.

Look at this post for details. Click here to open!

• 10 months later...

Copy shipping.php and paste her in catalog.

You will have then a shipping(copy).php .

Rename her in news.php

Make the same in catalog/includes/languages/english and any other language that you are have install. Rename them in news.php .

Change where it saying FILENAME_SHIPPING with FILENAME_LATEST NEWS and everywhere you have a word "shipping" with latest_news

Paste the <?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_LATEST_NEWS); ?>

there where it sais in catalog/news.php

<?php echo TEXT_INFORMATION; ?>

Now you will have a new page where you can put your news.

Now i want your help.

Does anyone has a solution how we can made this module a multilingual? For all the languages that we are having install through admin panel?

I want to post the same time both in english and greek my news and not only in one language....

One amateur made the Arc, 5.000 pro made the Titanic...

• 3 weeks later...

Goodmorning,

I have this contribution fully working, accept I want one thing extra and I don't know how to do it!

I created a news.php as described in this topic and its working perfect (many thanks). Now I also use define mainpage and I would like to show the last added news topic on the front page. So I also inserted the code <?php include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_LATEST_NEWS); ?> on the front page. So far so good, but ofcourse its showing ALL the news there too. How can I get to show only the last added news topic (highest ID number) on the front page?

And because I have only limited space I would also like to show only a maximum of words there (truncate??? maybe).

I hope someone can help me with this.

Kind regards,

René

Edited by neetjedem