• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mastercard and Discover Card Changes for US Merchants

ozEworks

Seems that US merchants accepting Debit, Prepaid or Gift cards from MasterCard or Discover are effected by recent changes to how they are managed.

Authorize.net has raised awareness thru its recent email on the subject (I certainly knew nothing about it before then). See http://www.authorize.net/support/pafaqs/#do

MasterCard's rule changes go into effect May 1, 2010, and Discover's rule changes go into effect April 16, 2010. However, Authorize.Net announced they have an extension to 30 June 2011.

I am wondering about other payment gateways?

Anyone know?

Edited by FlyingKites

Seems that US merchants accepting Debit, Prepaid or Gift cards from MasterCard or Discover are effected by recent changes to how they are managed.

Authorize.net has raised awareness thru its recent email on the subject (I certainly knew nothing about it before then). See http://www.authorize.net/support/pafaqs/#do

MasterCard's rule changes go into effect May 1, 2010, and Discover's rule changes go into effect April 16, 2010. However, Authorize.Net announced they have an extension to 30 June 2011.

Anyone know?

Would like to know when this is addressed as well.

I found this link about PayPal (funny I did not even think about them when I was posting!)

https://www.x.com/docs/DOC-2021

PayPal is currently implementing the ability for merchants to comply with the MasterCard/Discover partial authorization / reversal rules. More details will be posted shortly, but for an overview of the changes see http://www.merchantservices-help.com/blog/2010/03/mastercard-and-discover-announce-new-processing-rules.

Anyone know?

I am in the same boat and would like to know of any implementation of the new rules.

• 3 weeks later...

FlyingKites,

An osCommerce team does not exist sad.gif.

Rephrased: Anyone from the osCommerce community able to help us!

An osCommerce team does not exist sad.gif.

Nice to Know thanks :-"

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

I don't know of any implementation of this into the authorize.net module provided by osCommerce.

From what I can tell these changes are quite significant in the way the authorize.net module works and will require changes to the core of osCommerce to support, if someone from the community can take a look into what changes are required and knocking up a patch / addon I am sure it would be appreciated by the rest of the community.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

This is not just Authorize.net. It is any payment gateway that uses Mastercard or Discover cards.

It is bascially saying that if a customer tries to use a Debit card or Giftcvard for a purchase and the amount left on the Debit card or Giftcard is less than the order total then you have to offer them a second payment method so they can pay the balance.

So maybe it is possible to create a module that can be called from any other CC module that will handle this situation?

"Sorry the balance of your card is insufficent to cover your purcahse, please select a second method to pay the balance?"

OR at the very least

"Sorry the balance of your card is insufficent to cover your purchase, please contact the site owner to complete your purchase over the phone"

Edited by FlyingKites

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So an osCommerce team does exist! I hope someone can help us! Its about to be a sad day for osCommerce.

Edited by 32 Degrees

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...