• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is It Too Fruity?

seshalyn_pr

Hello All:

I've been working on my store site for almost 3 months now. Many frustrations, :sweating: lot's of hard work for me, but, I think I'm almost done. I'm always reading around the forums, atleast to learn a little more, and also get information just in case I run into similar problems. I always tend to look at the websites that are linked from the forums, to get ideas and also see what can be possible with Osc. Anyways, I'm starting to think maybe my site is a little too fruity :wub: , (can't think of another word), in other words it lacks a little bit of a professional look, but then again, maybe because of the type of products I will be offering, It's OK??? :rolleyes:

Does it still look Osc??? Ofcourse, I'm a newbie with no php knowledge whatsoever, but I am pretty happy with what I've been able to accomplish so far. I would really appreciate your feedback on all aspects so far. If you have the time, you can go through with an order using, check or money order, It says testing, and I'll ignore it anyways, since it's just a testing option for now.

Again, thanks in advance for your valuable time :)...

Glenda

I Hate PHP, LoLssss

Visit My Site, Any constructive comments and suggestions Welcome :)

WARNING: IT'S STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION, LOLS

Hello All:

I've been working on my store site for almost 3 months now. Many frustrations, :sweating: lot's of hard work for me, but, I think I'm almost done. I'm always reading around the forums, atleast to learn a little more, and also get information just in case I run into similar problems. I always tend to look at the websites that are linked from the forums, to get ideas and also see what can be possible with Osc. Anyways, I'm starting to think maybe my site is a little too fruity :wub: , (can't think of another word), in other words it lacks a little bit of a professional look, but then again, maybe because of the type of products I will be offering, It's OK??? :rolleyes:

Does it still look Osc??? Ofcourse, I'm a newbie with no php knowledge whatsoever, but I am pretty happy with what I've been able to accomplish so far. I would really appreciate your feedback on all aspects so far. If you have the time, you can go through with an order using, check or money order, It says testing, and I'll ignore it anyways, since it's just a testing option for now.

Again, thanks in advance for your valuable time :)...

Glenda

Ummm, also I think a link would be helpful :blush: fiestaseshalyn.com/shop

My Bad, B)

I Hate PHP, LoLssss

Glenda,

Your site looks fine, very colorful and yes a bit fruity. However, as you said......because of the items you sell......fruity works for you.

Good job.

Chris

I don't mind about "fruity", as Chris said, thats acceptable because of the items.

I would say the page looks a little confusing. Following things "bother" me

1) Color: Since the color of the body is already strong, I would use a "calm down" color for the background, not this green (for me it doesn't match with purple anyway). Maybe something very light or very dark. Maybe also some colorful balloons, so that the many balloons all over can be reduced? I would also reconsider the purple it self

2) Too many font styles, specially on the front page

3) Too many boxes all around: You have the info box links in the footer, so you don't need a infobox. You don't need such a huge box for paypal, you can put a couple of cc signs in the footer. You don't need a box with header and border, just to put 2 flags inside. Put this to the header. You can put the search to the header too, also the cart onfo, so you don't need a right column at all. This will make things cleaner. Personally I also don't like the scrolling boxes, but thats a taste question

4) No need to display the IP address, many people don't know what it is and will feel maybe that something bad will happen to their privacy etc

In overall I think he design needs some more work in order to look really professional and up to date.

I think the functionality on product info (options) is very good done

Glenda,

Your site looks fine, very colorful and yes a bit fruity. However, as you said......because of the items you sell......fruity works for you.

Good job.

Chris

No Words, just a big :D <<<<

Thanks so much 4 taking the time :)

I Hate PHP, LoLssss

I don't mind about "fruity", as Chris said, thats acceptable because of the items.

I would say the page looks a little confusing. Following things "bother" me

1) Color: Since the color of the body is already strong, I would use a "calm down" color for the background, not this green (for me it doesn't match with purple anyway). Maybe something very light or very dark. Maybe also some colorful balloons, so that the many balloons all over can be reduced? I would also reconsider the purple it self

2) Too many font styles, specially on the front page

3) Too many boxes all around: You have the info box links in the footer, so you don't need a infobox. You don't need such a huge box for paypal, you can put a couple of cc signs in the footer. You don't need a box with header and border, just to put 2 flags inside. Put this to the header. You can put the search to the header too, also the cart onfo, so you don't need a right column at all. This will make things cleaner. Personally I also don't like the scrolling boxes, but thats a taste question

4) No need to display the IP address, many people don't know what it is and will feel maybe that something bad will happen to their privacy etc

In overall I think he design needs some more work in order to look really professional and up to date.

I think the functionality on product info (options) is very good done

Thanks so much 4 taking the time to place the feedback. :) I have implemented some of your suggestions into my site. I'm glad you liked the options, woooo, it was one of the most complicated things 4 me to add, but definitely something I needed. Again many thanks!!!

I Hate PHP, LoLssss

• 2 weeks later...

HI

1. THe three symbols that you have used for My Account, Checkout and Cart are not really related to what they should be. I particularly think that a floppy disk does not make me think of 'My Account'. People use these links a lot, so they need to be a bit clearer. As you have text links that serve the same purpose on the bar below, I would remove the symbols altogether.

2. I am glad to see that you have removed the right column. It immediately helps to take away the stock appearance of so many stores.

3. I am no fan of black text. Perhaps change the color of the text in the categories box. Even a tone of grey would be more interesting.

4. I clicked on a few categories that are empty???

5. The text on your buttons is not very legible.

6. When people buy online, they cannot touch the products so images are extremely important in order to sell products. Your images on the product pages are very small and some of the popup images are no larger. It is really worth spending time on getting the images right.

7. Same for your description. It is worth spending time making interesting product descriptions that sell your products and make them seem exciting.

8. Your style choice box is too far from the text 'Style choice:'

9. Are you really going to notify customers about updates to your products? It is not really the type of product that gets updated regularly. Consider removing this option and boxes etc.

10. Add reCaptcha or something similar to your contact form to prevent it being used for spam.

11. Remove 'top' from your breadcrumbs as it takes you to another irrelevant page. It is also irritating for customers when a link opens a new tab or window in their browser.

Overall, your site is better than some of the others I have seen on here. At least you have tried to change the 'stock' oscommerce look, which is great.

I hope my pointers help a bit.

HI

1. THe three symbols that you have used for My Account, Checkout and Cart are not really related to what they should be. I particularly think that a floppy disk does not make me think of 'My Account'. People use these links a lot, so they need to be a bit clearer. As you have text links that serve the same purpose on the bar below, I would remove the symbols altogether.

2. I am glad to see that you have removed the right column. It immediately helps to take away the stock appearance of so many stores.

3. I am no fan of black text. Perhaps change the color of the text in the categories box. Even a tone of grey would be more interesting.

4. I clicked on a few categories that are empty???

5. The text on your buttons is not very legible.

6. When people buy online, they cannot touch the products so images are extremely important in order to sell products. Your images on the product pages are very small and some of the popup images are no larger. It is really worth spending time on getting the images right.

7. Same for your description. It is worth spending time making interesting product descriptions that sell your products and make them seem exciting.

8. Your style choice box is too far from the text 'Style choice:'

9. Are you really going to notify customers about updates to your products? It is not really the type of product that gets updated regularly. Consider removing this option and boxes etc.

10. Add reCaptcha or something similar to your contact form to prevent it being used for spam.

11. Remove 'top' from your breadcrumbs as it takes you to another irrelevant page. It is also irritating for customers when a link opens a new tab or window in their browser.

Overall, your site is better than some of the others I have seen on here. At least you have tried to change the 'stock' oscommerce look, which is great.

I hope my pointers help a bit.

Hello Collines:

Thanks so much, for taking the time to look at my shop :), even more for taking the time to make your suggestions. I have definitely implemented some of your suggestions to my site already. It is a great help, to see the shop from another perspective!! I will definitely work on the product descriptions and images! I also have lotsssssss of work as far as populating the shop, that's why their are still empty categories.

I have to look in to that style choice box, I don't know how it got so far over there, since it's part of the option contribution that I have.

Your input has been very valuable!! Thanks for the compliments they make me sooo very happy :D !!!

Glenda

I Hate PHP, LoLssss

Archived