• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

robots.txt syntax in public_html folder

altoid

I googled this issue and the hits didn't come back with, for me at least, a definitive answer so I am asking here.

My osC shop resides in my server's public_html folder. In that folder, top level resides the robots.txt file.

Question: is the correct cirectory syntax for robots.txt in the public_html folder....

Disallow: /account.php

or

Disallow: /public_html/account.php

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I googled this issue and the hits didn't come back with, for me at least, a definitive answer so I am asking here.

My osC shop resides in my server's public_html folder. In that folder, top level resides the robots.txt file.

Question: is the correct cirectory syntax for robots.txt in the public_html folder....

or

Thanks

If you see /public_html/ in your browser address bar when you browse to your shop, then use it. Otherwise, don't.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

or

The root folder is never listed in the robots file so Disallow: /account.php is correct.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you see /public_html/ in your browser address bar when you browse to your shop, then use it. Otherwise, don't.

It isn't so I won't use it. Thanks for responding.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

The root folder is never listed in the robots file so Disallow: /account.php is correct.

Thanks for responding

I had it with /public_html/ which probably explains why my pop up images are appearting in google webmaster tools as duplicate title and decription tags. I have now changed it.