• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Discount based on quantity purchased

ehib

Does any one please know of any contributions where a shop owner can give discounts to customers based on the amount of purchase? For example if you purchased $100 - $200 you would get 10% off your entire order, $200 - $300 you would get 20% off etc, etc....

I wrote the Quantity Controller v5.1 for this. The current version ... only works with snapshots up to about January 10th.

I am re-writting it now for MS1 ... and no, I don't know when I will be done ... :shock:

Hi Linda - I've got both Quantity Controller 5.1 and Attributes Sorter Copier 5.1 running on a site with MS1. Took a few hours and a bunch of false starts, but I finally got there. REALLY careful work with beyond compare and then then just pouring over the code. product_info.php was the biggest bear.

Just so you know it can be done.

Unexpect the Expected

Hey, Linda, I seem to remember talk a while back about discounts based on product "families". Is this something you are working on, or should I dive into the project myself. Here's the scenario that I am looking at:

Retailer/Wholesaler selling Candlemaking supplies

There are, say, 10 diiferent types of wax - each a unique product.

Wax is priced at $20 per 10lb slab, discounted to $15 for quantity 6 or more

Now here's the kicker: those six can be mixed and matched from the 10 different types.

It is also sold by the case, 6 slabs per case, where the price drops to $10 with a minimum of three cases, and the cases can be mixed and matched, but not broken.

So basically, I think I'm envisioning adding a "product grouping" attribute to the products, and applying quantity discounts based on that, set up like the four discount levels in Quantity Controller. And then some mucking around with attributes just for good measure. I think a modification of Quantity Controller would do the trick, but I don't want to start something that is in the works already.

Unexpect the Expected

Hi Linda - I've got both Quantity Controller 5.1 and Attributes Sorter Copier 5.1 running on a site with MS1. Took a few hours and a bunch of false starts, but I finally got there. REALLY careful work with beyond compare and then then just pouring over the code. product_info.php was the biggest bear.

Just so you know it can be done.

I'd be interested in a functional copy of this merge myself. :D

Retailer/Wholesaler selling Candlemaking supplies

There are, say, 10 diiferent types of wax - each a unique product.

Wax is priced at $20 per 10lb slab, discounted to $15 for quantity 6 or more

Are you mixing products_id or just attribute options to meet the discounted qty?

Still thinking it through, but I'm looking at mixing product_id for sure, for this particular application, but I can see the usefulness of throwing attributes into the mix as well.

Work in progress (still very ugly, I'm playing with stylesheets, backgrounds and various looks) at:

www.villagecraftandcandle.com/catalog

(This is also the MS1 site where I have QC 5.1 and ASC 5.1 running. I'll try and package up the changes I made and send it off to you...)

Unexpect the Expected

I have something I am working on now where Qty Discounts, Units and Min work with mixed attributes of a product ...

3 Red small

2 Green large

5 Purple med

Qty is 10 if you have that product setup to allow that to happen.

This is done on a per product_id basis.

Next will be the mixed product_id discounts.

And that one will be cool ... 8)

In our scenario we have different mfg products supplied to us by the same wholesaler. Each individual product may have a different price and slightly different individual quantity discounts.

Here is an example scenario with fictitious numbers...

Product X

-----------

Qty: 1-4, $10

Qty: 5-9, $8

Qty: 10+, $6

Product Y

-----------

Qty: 1-7, $8

Qty: 8-14, $6

Qty: 15+, $4

Product Z

-----------

Qty: 1-3, $15

Qty: 4-8, $10

Qty: 9+, $8

PRODUCTS X & Y are in a product grouping

PRODUCT Z is by itself (or in a different non-related product grouping)

A customer purchases 4-Product-X, 6-Product-Y, and 3-Product-Z. By themselves this is the bottom quantity level for each product. However, taken as 10 products purchased overall for the X-Y Product Group we'd like to give the 10+ qty discount on X and the 8-14 qty discount on Y; i.e., apply the highest level of quantity discount based on total items orders within a product grouping. Product-Z would simply stand alone as qty 3 which is the lowest qty discount - since it is NOT in the product grouping with X and Y.

Is this a possibility with what you are working on?

-Scott

It will be at some point, as that is the direction this is going.

This let's you have mixed qty for attribute and mixed qty for mixed product_id that would be used to verify qty and then apply the appropriate discount based on the individual discounts per product for having met a minimum and belonging to either the same product_id or the same product_group_id.

This let's you have mixed qty for attribute and mixed qty for mixed product_id that would be used to verify qty and then apply the appropriate discount based on the individual discounts per product for having met a minimum and belonging to either the same product_id or the same product_group_id.

Quite a mouthful, but I think that nails it. That would give absolute control over all aspects of discounting. Of course then we would have to throw in the option of offfering percentage discounts as well as absolute prices.... :wink:

Is this something you are actively working on, or is it in the far off future?

Unexpect the Expected

Hi Linda.

I am SO looking forward to you mixed attributes of a product Qty Discount. Please post a test URL when you get something working, I look forward to seeing it. I have a situation where I will be selling embroidered shirts in bulk and this would be perfect (10 large white, 3 medium blue, etc.)

Keep up the great work!

Mark

Dayton

• 1 month later...

I am trying to do your discount logic in reverse by the amount entered

I have a base price of ?1.00

How can I increase the price on top by price bands based on the quantity entered.

Band 1-50 =+?10.00

Band 51- 100 = +?15.00

Band 101-250=+?20.00

Band 251- 500=+?25.00

If a quantity of 50 is entered the price would be 50X1=?50 + the band ?10

If a qauntity of 55 is entered the price would be 55X1=?55 + the band ?15

The Bands kick in when the quantity crosses the threshold.

I used to play around with discounts that worked like this on the agora shopping cart in perl

What goes up MUST come down

That is where you would use the new Attribute Unit Price ... :D

There is the regular attribute price * quantity + a 1 time unit price on the attribute selected.

This let's you have things where:

Always charge

products_price (if any) * quantity + $5 (1 time charge for selected attribute) + $1.50*quantity (attributes normal price)

That is where you would use the new Attribute Unit Price ...  

I have download your QuantityControllerv5_1 wow! you have been BUSY

Thanks.

The Attribute Unit Price ... is what your working on? There looks so much to get used to - I will install and learn!

many thanks

I could'nt resist it - I know you have'nt updated to 2.2 MS1, the version I have on my server, but I wanted to get the feel of your Mod and ran the modification as its only a test version at present, and I'm learning.

Sure there's loads of errors because of this, bit this is a hell-off-a-mod phew! You sure have put some work into this.

The discount feature in four bands looks what I'm after in reverse! regards my previous post.

That is where you would use the new Attribute Unit Price ..

is that going to be a new feature?

Well dine Linda this is fantastic!!

The Errors in the header is

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at my site/catalog/includes/classes/shopping_cart.php:727) in /home/peetnet/public_html/catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at my site/catalog/includes/classes/shopping_cart.php:727) in my site/catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

and the right hand column

Warning: main(includes/boxes/shopping_cart.php) [function.main]: failed to create stream: No such file or directory in my site/catalog/includes/column_right.php on line 37

Fatal error: main() [function.main]: Failed opening required 'includes/boxes/shopping_cart.php' (include_path='') in my site/catalog/includes/column_right.php on line 37

Then I get errors when logging in.

Hi Forum

:shock: m.........

I have download the QuantityController v5.0 and set it.

then ........it is error in the bottom page.Why?

Error Message:

Error!

Unable to determine connection method on a link!

Known methods: NONSSL SSL

help me.....please.

I could'nt resist it - I know you have'nt updated to 2.2 MS1, the version I have on my server, but I wanted to get the feel of your Mod and ran the modification as its only a test version at present, and I'm learning.

Sure there's loads of errors because of this, bit this is a hell-off-a-mod phew! You sure have put some work into this.

The discount feature in four bands looks what I'm after in reverse! regards my previous post.

That is where you would use the new Attribute Unit Price ..

is that going to be a new feature?

Well dine Linda this is fantastic!!

The Quantity Discounts are for the product_id itself.

The new version will have percentage or actual price discounts on the 4 levels.

These percentages or the percentage calculation on the actual discount price will be used on attribute discounts.

Depending on how you configure your shop you can use a combination of the product_id discount and attribute pricing based on a new units charge which is used more or less as a 1 time charge per product_id like a setup charge and then uses the regular attributes price as the amount * quantity.

As to your errors with MS1 ... I cannot help you there. That is why the Attributes Sorter and Copier and the Quantity Controller are being re-written.

Since both touch so many of the same files and are dependant on one another to get the most pricing options, they will be together. Hopefully in an easy to install manner.

Hi Forum

:shock: m.........

I have download the QuantityController v5.0 and set it.

then ........it is error in the bottom page.Why?

Error Message:

Error!

Unable to determine connection method on a link!

Known methods: NONSSL SSL

help me.....please.

The current version for January or older snapshots is Quantity Controller v5.1 ... I am not sure what might be causing the error you have now. I had not seen that one on v5.0 and that is pretty out dated compared to v5.1

Note: None of these versions work with MS1

I really like the design and layout of this Mod, I am going to have to be patient for the update to 2.2 ms1 boy what an update!

Depending on how you configure your shop you can use a combination of the product_id discount and attribute pricing based on a new units charge which is used more or less as a 1 time charge per product_id like a setup charge and then uses the regular attributes price as the amount * quantity.

An attribute that had 4 lists of prices of one time costs independant to quantity of products, like a set up cost would be exactly what I need.

+ your design change - bingo!

2nd train of thought here - I see in the Mod a 4 band discount calculation

quantity a = x discount% = b in 4 bands

is it possible to have

quantity a = + set cost $ = b in 4 bands

so using your set up of 4 bands of %discount you could use a set cost $ amount increase depending on amount of products entered.

Just a thought ( no dream! ) as if you have'nt got enough to do!

Sorry - the mind races before the fingers!

I think that you are allready going to do what I need with a unit price, one off charge in attributes.

I want to have a product price of say a dollar, and have attributes that have a one off charge ( set up cost ) for printing products.

The one off charge would increase in 4 bands depending on how many products were ordered.

The product cost is allways $1 and the attributes for the set up costs have one off charge bands where quantity ordered is 1-50 = $20 then 51-100 = $25 then 101-250 = $30 then 251-500 = $40

If 50 are ordered calculation is 50 X $1 = $50 + 1 off charge = $20 total = $70.

or 80 are ordered calculation is 80 X $1 = $80 + 1 off charge = $25 total = $105

or 400 are ordered calculation is 400 X $1 = $400 + 1 off charge = $40 total = $440

I hope this can be achived by selecting attributes on the product display. The customer can click on whatever price band affects the quantity ordered.

Your Mod has a design that puts the product quantity choice at the front of the product display, which is even better!

(idea)

Then I thought it would be really neat if the one off costs above would be automatically calculated ( like your discount bands ) not subtracted by % but added as a one off charge by the amount of products entered. That would reverse your discounts bands into one off charge bands.

The customer would'nt have to click on a one off charge band attribute, just enter the amount of products required and the one off charge band would be automatically calculated and added.

That would be really really really neat. as if your Mod was'nt neat enough!