• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Webmaster tools reporting image links

Stealth1

I can't seem to figure out what is going on and hoping someone can help me out.

In Webmaster Tools under HTML Suggestions it lists currently about 160 links to my site under the "Title Tag - Missing Title Tags" and "Non-Indexable Content - Images" sections. All of them are shown like this /popup_add_image.php?pID=102‎ with a different number after the pID. When I click the links it goes to a picture of an item I do have on my site but the picture isn't the size that I use it is blown up.

I use additional images 2.2 and the Lightbox addon for the popup image. I also have made the effort to give each and every product image a title/description and Keywords/Tags. So I can't seem to figure out what is going on here. Should I be concerned with this at all?

I can't seem to figure out what is going on and hoping someone can help me out.

In Webmaster Tools under HTML Suggestions it lists currently about 160 links to my site under the "Title Tag - Missing Title Tags" and "Non-Indexable Content - Images" sections. All of them are shown like this /popup_add_image.php?pID=102‎ with a different number after the pID. When I click the links it goes to a picture of an item I do have on my site but the picture isn't the size that I use it is blown up.

I use additional images 2.2 and the Lightbox addon for the popup image. I also have made the effort to give each and every product image a title/description and Keywords/Tags. So I can't seem to figure out what is going on here. Should I be concerned with this at all?

Your issue appears to me due to the seperate file displaying images from product info & using javascript for the popup.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

I'd add the header info as you currently have it in your products_info page, if google likes these, it is good to have, on the other hand if google indexes these pages, and customers land on it, you'd want to show a link to go to your site/product info page with full details.

you could restrict access to this page in robots.txt, or add a noindex tag to the page, to avoid google indexing, but I personally would rather have google index it and figure out how to better guide your visitors to the actual content.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

you could restrict access to this page in robots.txt, or add a noindex tag to the page, to avoid google indexing, but I personally would rather have google index it and figure out how to better guide your visitors to the actual content.

I have the same situation with pop images being flagged as a duplicate in Google webmaster tools. I have previously disallowed this file in my robots.txt:

Disallow: /public_html/popup_image.php

/public_html/ is where the store resides.

I have Ultimate SEO V 2.2d-9 by Jack_mcs installed by the way, so the canonical actually ends with...."product-name-pi-355.html. I am not sure how Google sees the URL so I included that in case it matters.

Doing some googling on the correct robots.txt syntax I found a couple recommendations it should be without the /public_html/ as so..

Disallow: /popup_image.php

Does /public_html/ matter or not in the robots.txt?

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Your issue appears to me due to the seperate file displaying images from product info & using javascript for the popup.

I think I somewhat follow but could you explain more as I am a noob. When I upload a picture it creates a small, medium and large version of the picture along with the original. The small is used for the product_info page and when you right click and go view image it still displays the small image. You can't right click on the image displayed in the product_description page as that brings up the lightbox view of the image.

Should I use robot.txt to get rid of these? It isn't reporting anything on the other proper images.

I'd add the header info as you currently have it in your products_info page, if google likes these, it is good to have, on the other hand if google indexes these pages, and customers land on it, you'd want to show a link to go to your site/product info page with full details.

How would I identify the image to put the header info? All of the images have the title, description, stars, tags all done before uploading.

I can right click on the image and it takes me to the "large" version of the image created by additional images.

How would I make it so that these can be indexed and if clicked on it takes you directly to the product page?

I think I somewhat follow but could you explain more as I am a noob. When I upload a picture it creates a small, medium and large version of the picture along with the original. The small is used for the product_info page and when you right click and go view image it still displays the small image. You can't right click on the image displayed in the product_description page as that brings up the lightbox view of the image.

Should I use robot.txt to get rid of these? It isn't reporting anything on the other proper images.

If you just using additional images to have seperate thumbnail & full versions of your pics you may be better looking at osThumb or similar, as they do the same process automatically so you only need to upload one large image, in that situation, should any issue arise (not seen with osThumb) you only need to block the thumbnail folder with robots.

You must ignore your javascript, look how the page is without it, thats how it is indexed.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

If you just using additional images to have seperate thumbnail & full versions of your pics you may be better looking at osThumb or similar, as they do the same process automatically so you only need to upload one large image, in that situation, should any issue arise (not seen with osThumb) you only need to block the thumbnail folder with robots.

You must ignore your javascript, look how the page is without it, thats how it is indexed.

So from what i'm understanding the problem is that these created images aren't being made with the same info as the original (title, tags etc)? Or am I completely off base?

Is there a way to have these "links" redirect to the product page? Is this a good solution?

Is there a way to have these "links" redirect to the product page? Is this a good solution?

Yes, the canonical, you may need to set a specific one for those pages though. http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7163

Sam

Contributions:

Archived