• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Using Cache Feature - ?

Mort-lemur

Hi,

In Admin/Config my use Cache has always been set to "False" with a cache directory of /tmp/

When I set use cache to "True" I my store menue changes to something relating to bed linen etc.... I sell Livestock equipment!

Also I cannot find a directory called /tmp/ anywhere within my store files.

How do I set up the cache and what benefits would it give me ?

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Hi,

In Admin/Config my use Cache has always been set to "False" with a cache directory of /tmp/

When I set use cache to "True" I my store menue changes to something relating to bed linen etc.... I sell Livestock equipment!

Thanks

This might help.

I think using it reduces server load (less queries).

The reason you see some other sites categories is you and that site are on the same server and until you set your private cache you share the same one. What you experience is a side effect of sharing the same cache.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Thanks Jim,

Followed the instructions, set the correct paths etc and it seems to work ok.....

Apart from, now with the use cache set to true, the dynamenu fly out boxes dont work, dynamenu does not seem to like the cache being true ?

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

you should set it to your own area outside your www root (public_html)

Remember to make the folder and give it the correct permissions.

/home/yourusername/tmp -> cache

/home/yourusername/public_html -> www root

Hi,

Thanks

You are seeing another stores categories because you are using the same tmp folder. Change the name of your tmp folder to something different and it should work using www.in.no instructions.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I have created a Directory /public_html/cache

I have created 3 empty files within it:

categories_box-english.cache

manufacturers_box-english.cache

also_purchased-english.cache

I have set my Admin/config cache directory to :

/home/user_id/public_html/Cache

Then set use cache to true.

Now the cache feature shows my own products in the categories, and everything seems to work OK apart from the Dynamenue vertical menue that I use loses its "Fly Out" functionality when cache is set to true, and regains the functionality when the cache is set to false.

Any Ideas ?

Many Thanks again

Hi,

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

I have created a Directory /public_html/cache

I have set my Admin/config cache directory to :

/home/user_id/public_html/Cache

"cache" and "Cache" are totally different. Watch for case sensitivity. Check again. If folder is called "cache", directory should be /home/user_id/public_html/cache/

and

cache directory should be /home/user_id/public_html/name_of_cache_folder/ <<-needs trailing slash

I'm not familiar with "Dynamenu" but go through your site a few times.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

All cases are correct,

Cache directory works as /home/userid/Cache

The onlt thing that does not work are the fly-out menu's with cache turned on.

Thanks

ok did that, with cache turned on the files were not created.

With cache turned off 2 files were created: categories_box-english.cache and categories_box-english.cache23

Thanks

• 1 year later...

This might help.

I think using it reduces server load (less queries).

The reason you see some other sites categories is you and that site are on the same server and until you set your private cache you share the same one. What you experience is a side effect of sharing the same cache.

N0 might about it, I just switched the cache on and the change is unbelievable from 647 queries to 49. Page load time from over 2 seconds to 0.01seconds

• 5 months later...

sorry to bump an old thread, but how do you actually find out how many queries your pages are using?

I'm trying to determine whether it would be beneficial for my site to turn on the cache feature, I'd like to see the difference between "before" and "after".

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Archived