• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Want to change the Price off all Products all at once?

jamesey

Hi,

I love osCommerce, but an annoying thing about it, is that you can't seem to bulk edit products, like select all the products you have and edit the product description or the product price in one go, rather then having to edit each product individually.

I did hear ages ago on here that a way to get round this is editing products via phpMyAdmin. Apparently it is possible to bulk edit using this. I have absolutely no idea how to do this with phpMyAdmin, but if anyone knows and could explain, that would be really good.

update products set products_price = 'whatever you want here';

'whatever you want here' can even be a calculation.

Have you considered the add on Product Quick Edit? It still does them one at a time but much faster.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

Hi,

I love osCommerce, but an annoying thing about it, is that you can't seem to bulk edit products, like select all the products you have and edit the product description or the product price in one go, rather then having to edit each product individually.

I did hear ages ago on here that a way to get round this is editing products via phpMyAdmin. Apparently it is possible to bulk edit using this. I have absolutely no idea how to do this with phpMyAdmin, but if anyone knows and could explain, that would be really good.

Most people use EasyPopulate for this

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/500

thanks for the replies guys.

mdtaylorlrim or anyone else - can you be a bit more specific about that code line you posted on the previous message? I'm not used to using phpMyAdmin so I don't really know what I'm doing.

This is what i've done so far.. (i'm guessing)...

Logged onto phpMyAdmin

Selected the Database in the top left corner

Clicked on "products" down the left side

Now i am stuck on what to do, and how to enter that code you posted to edit the prices for every item.

Also, if i wanted to change the product description for every item, what code/text would i use to do this?

thanks for the replies guys.

mdtaylorlrim or anyone else - can you be a bit more specific about that code line you posted on the previous message? I'm not used to using phpMyAdmin so I don't really know what I'm doing.

This is what i've done so far.. (i'm guessing)...

Logged onto phpMyAdmin

Selected the Database in the top left corner

Clicked on "products" down the left side

Now i am stuck on what to do, and how to enter that code you posted to edit the prices for every item.

Also, if i wanted to change the product description for every item, what code/text would i use to do this?

First thing is, you don't want to start learning this on your live shop database. Duplicate the database and use it as a test db.

And what is your real objective? Maybe using a sql statement is not the best way to do what you want, but I don't really know what you want. With certainty.

Across the top right there are more tabs. Browse, Structure, sql,import, export, operations....and some others...

To run a sql statement on the table selected click the sql tab. It will bring up a text box to enter the sql. And keep in mind that this is a permanent and immediate change in the database that you cannot undo. So, it should only be reserved for the rare instance when no other way will do.

To change all the prices to $100.00 for example,

update products set products_price = '100'

Press the go button and now all your products cost $100

To increase all prices by 5% use this..

update products set products_price = (products_price * 1.05)

I think.... see, that's the reason for a test database.

The products descriptions are in the products_description table. The code would be very similar. Again, one little slip and you could render your store out of commission for quite a while. Still want to mess with phpMyAdmin?

I think.... see, that's the reason for a test database.

The products descriptions are in the products_description table. The code would be very similar. Again, one little slip and you could render your store out of commission for quite a while. Still want to mess with phpMyAdmin?

But see..there are a couple of contributions that will do some of these things.

thanks mdtaylorlrim

you've made it very clear, exactly how i wanted... so i will try this on a test database to see if it works.

i'll have a look at the quick prices contrib too

<snipped>

Or you could just use the Price Updater addon. It's designed to do that and more, without learning SQL. Not that learning to write SQL is a bad idea.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived