Latest News: (loading..)
Sign in to follow this  
sarafina

What is the proper way to backup before installing add-ons?

Everybody always mentions backing up before you install a new contribution. I'm wondering what is the best way to achieve this?

Should I just save my store in a zip file on my computer? ie. domain.com/store <--- Just take this entire directory?

What about the database, should I back that up too, if so how?

I intend to install several contributions so I want to make sure I'm doing the backup properly and efficiently if possible.

edit: I meant to post this in osc. 2.x forum btw, if a mod would move it, that would be great!

Edited by sarafina

Contributions installed: Purchase without Account / STS/ All Products/ Header Tags Controller

Everybody always mentions backing up before you install a new contribution. I'm wondering what is the best way to achieve this?

Should I just save my store in a zip file on my computer? ie. domain.com/store <--- Just take this entire directory?

What about the database, should I back that up too, if so how?

I intend to install several contributions so I want to make sure I'm doing the backup properly and efficiently if possible.

edit: I meant to post this in osc. 2.x forum btw, if a mod would move it, that would be great!

You should backup both your dBase & your files, dBase backup should be a regular thing anyway.

I always use AutoBackup Database in Admin http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2314 for automatic regular dBase backups

Also add Database backup manager http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5769 to replace the default tool, as that is bugged.

For your site files, the easiest method is Backup of all store files in zip format http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6986 though that is still in a rough state, either it will work on your site or not, though is it makes the backup file that will be good.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

I added that first contribution, is there a way to set that contribution to create backups on a schedule without me having to log into admin?

I didn't add the 2nd one as I didn't quite grasp the installation instructions. I know you say the osc tool is buggy but if it still works then I hope I can do without this contribution.

Also in terms of restoring the backup database..can it only be done via the existing tool? I once added a contribution and it wouldn't allow me to login to osc admin. In a situation like that, what would be done?

Edited by sarafina

Contributions installed: Purchase without Account / STS/ All Products/ Header Tags Controller

I added that first contribution, is there a way to set that contribution to create backups on a schedule without me having to log into admin?

I didn't add the 2nd one as I didn't quite grasp the installation instructions. I know you say the osc tool is buggy but if it still works then I hope I can do without this contribution.

I would still advise you add Database backup manager , the install only involves adding a function & replacing the existing osC file with the new. The original osC file can have failures on restore, so best to replace, with Database backup manager you can also do partial backups or restores (even with autobackup files).

You can schedule backups with autobackup through a cron job, its detailed in the package.

Also in terms of restoring the backup database..can it only be done via the existing tool?

Backups can be restored via the admin tool, or through phpMyAdmin, or through your cpanel. If yoy have very large backups these methods may struggle, in which case just ask your host to do it.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

I set up the cron job for every 6 hours. Is that too much, too little?

I added the autobackup and when I enable making zip of autobackup files, my entire shop gets messed (just white with no content). I'm guessing this is the part for store files and this feature is not for saving database zip files? Am I correct?

I set up the cron job for every 6 hours. Is that too much, too little?

I added the autobackup and when I enable making zip of autobackup files, my entire shop gets messed (just white with no content). I'm guessing this is the part for store files and this feature is not for saving database zip files? Am I correct?

I would suspect you forgot to upload the included zip function.

Sam

Contributions: