• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A Better Checkout

jhilgeman

I agree with the idea that the less steps there are, the better. I think the very first step is the most important and can be improved a lot. I also believe that people are turned off by the idea of creating an account, even if they're doing the same thing as putting in an address during checkout.

I saw this method on a few different sites recently and I liked that it was easy to use and didn't require me to go to any extra screens.

Here's my 3-screen suggestion:

1st Screen: Login or New Address

---------------------------------------

The screen is set up as follows:

[ Login Box ]

[ Billing Address ]

[ Shipping Address ]

[ Important Info ]

[ Submit Button ]

Description: [ Login Box ]

The customer gets a login box at the top allowing them to log in with their username/password. If successful, it brings them directly back to this same checkout screen without the [ Login Box ].

Description: [ Billing Address ]

Now, if they're logged in, then there will be a drop-down box immediately above the [ Billing Address ] area. The drop-down will contain the address book entries. When one is selected, the [ Billing Address ] form will be filled in with those values.

If there is only one address book entry available, all fields should automatically be filled in with those values.

There should be a checkbox that's defaulted to "checked" labelled "Add to My Address Book."

There should be a "Clear" button, too.

Description: [ Shipping Address ]

This should be exactly the same as Billing Address, with its own address-book-drop-down box. The only difference is that it should also have a checkbox for "Same as Billing Address."

Description: [ Important Info ]

This should have an optional message and two inputs:

Msg: We use the following information only for issues related to this order.

1) E-mail address for order notification.

2) Telephone number for support and shipping issues.

Submitting the First Page

Now, once this first page is submitted, a couple things are done. First, if the person is NOT logged in, an account should be created for them automatically (with a random password), and they should be automatically logged into that account. Plus, details of the account creation should be sent to the e-mail address.

This way, there's nothing to suggest that they need to go to some extra step to create an account first. It distracts from the original intent of checking out. But still, they get signed up anyway and they can choose to cancel the account later.

Next, the addresses are added to the address book if there is enough room, and if not, the checkout process still continues (a message should appear to notify the customer that it wasn't added to the address book).

2nd Screen: Payment and Shipping

This is almost fine the way it is. However, I would:

- Add an "Order Overview" box with sub-totals to the very top.

- Follow that with the shipping section

- Finally, put the payment section third.

This way, the customer gets a better idea of the cost before they choose their payment method, and they can then choose to use a different card or method if needed.

3rd Screen: Confirmation

Normally, most people have made up their minds by this time to go ahead with the purchase. Otherwise they would not have put in their payment information.

So at this point, the order should PROCESS and go INTO the system. The confirmation page should actually be the "Thank You" page with a "Cancel My Order" button in case they changed their mind at the last moment.

I have several people that stop at the confirmation page, thinking it's the thank-you receipt page.

The "Cancel My Order" button should delete the order from the system and send an e-mail to the store owner to notify them of the cancelled order, in case any special refunding methods need to be processed.

So that's it. I hope this gets taken into consideration. Feel free to comment or contribute to my idea. It's perfect for me, but may not be perfect for you.

- Jonathan

Download osCommerce Order Editor v1.2 Here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1435

I like the idea of an account being created and the User logged in automatically if they don't already have an account. You are right, sometimes people don't like having to create an account. This idea would elimate that aspect.

Hmmmmmmmm......

-R

From an end-user usability standpoint, your automatic account creation is certainly a winner. It will eliminate a large percentage of shoppers who would otherwise bail out of a purchase because of the perceived hassle of being required to create an account.

It's a simple matter of how you frame the process: I don't like being required to create an account just to have the privillege of purchasing something. I don't want an anonymouse store to make me register before I have established a relationship with them (made a purchase). I don't want a store dictating what I can or will do! I want to give stores money, but on my terms!

However, having said that, I certainly appreciate the courtesy and convenience of an account being created for me when I complete a purchase. ;) Same end point, but a much more pleasant customer experience.

Adding the auto-generated passwords and e-mailing them is great. Give the customer a chance to automatically "create and account" just by clicking on a link in the e-mail. Clicking the link confirms the account and takes them to a page giving them the opportunity to change their password to a less-cryptic password. Add a check box that allows them to automatically log into their account takes it to another level of making it easy for customers to purchase.

And making it easier for online shoppers to give stores their money should--ensuring shoppers' security and privacy, obviously--be the goal of any online store. This would be yet another step towards that goal.

For a point of reference in the ultimate in ease of purchase/simple to execute online commerce, look at what the guys from Panic have done: https://www.panic.com/transmit/buy.html

Ryan Thrash

You can leave the option of them creating a password on the form, if you phrase it like "Add password so you can check the status of your order" I have seen this approach on several websites. If one is not entered, then perhaps you could randomly generate one.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Archived