• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

category description error

nealc

Hello,

I am receiving an error whenever I try to open any category, the error is:

1054 - Unknown column 'cd.categories_description' in 'field list'

select cd.categories_description from categories c, categories_description cd where c.categories_id = '59' and cd.categories_id = '59' and cd.language_id = '1'

[TEP STOP]

I have tried "googling" this particular error but nothing relevant showed up that would help me out, so I am turning to you guys. The contrib I used is: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6250

I am currently just learning osCommerce and PHP, but am always willing to help out.

Have successfully installed the following: Discount Coupons, UPS shipping module, Ultimate SEO URL's, Easy Meta Tags for SEO 1.0, Google XML Sitemap SEO v1.3, HTML Editor for Email and Newsletters.

Hello,

I am receiving an error whenever I try to open any category, the error is:

1054 - Unknown column 'cd.categories_description' in 'field list'

select cd.categories_description from categories c, categories_description cd where c.categories_id = '59' and cd.categories_id = '59' and cd.language_id = '1'

[TEP STOP]

I have tried "googling" this particular error but nothing relevant showed up that would help me out, so I am turning to you guys. The contrib I used is: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6250

That's because the table does not use categories_description. It uses categories_name, unless you are using some template that altered it.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

I believe you are most correct.

My categories_description table shows these as the column headers: categories_id, language_id, categories_name, categories_description, categories_seo_url. I believe categories_description was added to this table, this is the sql that needed to be injected into my database: ALTER TABLE categories_description ADD categories_description text NULL AFTER categories_name;.

I am still a bit lost as to what I should change to make this contrib work.

I am currently just learning osCommerce and PHP, but am always willing to help out.

Have successfully installed the following: Discount Coupons, UPS shipping module, Ultimate SEO URL's, Easy Meta Tags for SEO 1.0, Google XML Sitemap SEO v1.3, HTML Editor for Email and Newsletters.

Probably because it should read thus:

select cd.categories_description from categories_description cd,categories c where c.categories_id = '59' and cd.categories_id = '59' and cd.language_id = '1'

although I do not understand why you are querying the categories table at all, unless this is just a problem part of a much larger query.

Edited by mdtaylorlrim

Ya know I really do not know why either, all I am truly trying to do is change each of the category pages to look a bit different by adding some html to each, rather than the new products that gets a bit boring after a while.

I am guessing that my error has to do with this bit of code here:

if ($category_depth == 'nested') {

$category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, cd.categories_description, c.categories_image from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

Ya know I really do not know why either, all I am truly trying to do is change each of the category pages to look a bit different by adding some html to each, rather than the new products that gets a bit boring after a while.

Might be easier to install the Featured Products contribution instead of altering the code. You can enter many featured items and tell it to randomly pick a small number of them to display. Different page every time...

Yeah...while that sounds nice and all, I still don't like just having products show up in each of the categories main page, I want more information for the customers with some idea as to the types of products we sell and then we can add some featured products for that category as well.

I don't know that mod & can't see you error from a quick glance, but http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2343) does work, you could compare see if anything obvious shows up.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Thanks Spooks, yeah the error is actually on my local server where i test all changes prior to uploading them to my live site. I've been messing around with the code but nothing I do changes the errors, but I will certainly check out that contribution. Do you know off the top of your head if you can use HTML with that contrib?

Thanks Spooks, yeah the error is actually on my local server where i test all changes prior to uploading them to my live site. I've been messing around with the code but nothing I do changes the errors, but I will certainly check out that contribution. Do you know off the top of your head if you can use HTML with that contrib?

You can certainly include html tags within the field, if you want it more extensive you could add FCK http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2900 & make the field a fck one, would need to make it bigger though

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Great, Thank you. I will install these contributions and see how they work for me.