• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Add On Section is a Bad Idea

I just went into the Add On section of this site and found that it had been updated. GREAT ! It shows the latest upload all by itself with a download link to it. Perfect ! Except, what if the latest upload for that contribution is NOT a full package but just a patch ?

So, click History you say ? Ok, now lets wait forever while the list is generated. If the contribution has a lengthy history of uploads and patches, it take some time to load the page.

I am all for progress, I really am. But, I would rather see progress towards the development and release of V2.2 RC3 or even the long awaited Beta of V3.0. Time and energy is being wasted upgrading the Add on area to only make it slower and more confusing to people.

Chris

It is confusing that the download link shows the the latest upload as being complete, while it might be ie the "Swahili update". The misleading impression is even stronger having the original addon description code just beside the "Swahili update". You have no idea what you are downloading unless you press on history.

This system would be great in a case where each package would be a full package, updated and upgraded in relation to the previous one. But here this is not the case. I see already many questions from people coming who will just click on download but not get what they expect.

There should be at least a kind of "warning" or a reminder to say to check the history before downloading anything. Or to have the latest upload text beside the download link and additional to this the original contribution description

It is confusing that the download link shows the the latest upload as being complete, while it might be ie the "Swahili update". The misleading impression is even stronger having the original addon description code just beside the "Swahili update". You have no idea what you are downloading unless you press on history.

Let me say that this new look for the addon section is just as new for you as it is for me.

I agree there is an issue with people just uploading a single file or some comment so that you don't download a complete package. The idea being you always upload a complete package....

On the other hand you have no idea how many people can't fathom how to click on the download icon and then starting to upload all kinds of nonrelevant files (like the oscommerce zip) because the upload button is the biggest button (bigger is better, right?).

Well, I didn't say it doesn't look nice. And it would be perfect if really each upload would be a complete package. But thats no whats happening right now. There are much more "fixes" than complete packages.

Is it not possible to put the lasts uploads comments eside the link additional to the original addon description? So to know at least at the first sight if it is a full package or not?

Other idea would be to make something like a radio button when uploading (full/not full) so that contributors need to chose one of the 2. This could be mentioned at the download page. Or to have them listed in different tabs? Or just not to permit anything else to be uploaded as full packages. But who will control this?

Bigger is better (?) so maybe to make the download button in green and flashing and the upload hidden in the right down corner?

I don't know, I don't have a solutions, just typing some thoughts into here

Can developers still take control of their own contributions and disallow anyone else from uploading to it? For some reason I cannot see that option.

For some reason the page doesn't recognize you as the contributor. If you are the one who uploaded the first package you have that ability (Edit package). However, I first had to click the add new file link, then the page would tell me to login and then I could see the Edit package option.

For all the contribution makers - A BIG MIGHTY THANK YOU

Contribution page - It's getting sometimes messy with all the small alterations to files

If it can be a complete set of new files it would be great

Getting the Phoenix off the ground

I needed to look for an update to a contribution i once downloaded and saw the new button.

Yes it looks nice and easy but than i read (show 71 more downloads) which immediately made me even more prudent.

The more because i knew that in that case lots of things were changed meanwhile which most of the times (71 downloads) is also a big warning-sign anyway).

BTW most of the 71 are single changes and not complete packages :blink:

Please revert back to the old system as already suggested by someone earlier in this thread and re-make the download button so that it is easier found by unfrequent or new searchers.

Edited by berkedam

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."