• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags

FWR Media

Hi,

I have been using on my site KissMT_1.0_r72_RC version. UTF-8 charset of my site and Turkish. The script works fine. Characters are letters in the address line problems. KissMT_1.0_r72_RC files from where the characters can handle the problem.

Problems related to sample pictures below:

3934.jpg

3942.jpg

thanks

KissMT is nothing to do with uris, I think you meant to post in the support topic for ultimate seo urls 5?

Finally I found the problem. When I disable following line in /includes/languages/turkish.php it worked well.

@setlocale(LC_CTYPE, 'tr_TR');

Hi FWR Media

In local server it works perfectly but when I send this production server I receive following error. I

My php version is 5.2.11 on production server and in phpinfo() it shows SPL support enabled. I've tested a few more sample php code includes ArrayIterator with success but I cannot pass below error. Any thought?

PHP Fatal error: Class 'ArrayIterator' not found in ****/includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/classes/kiss_meta_tags_class.php on line 123

SPL support enabled 

Interfaces Countable, OuterIterator, RecursiveIterator, SeekableIterator, SplObserver, SplSubject Classes AppendIterator, ArrayIterator, ArrayObject, BadFunctionCallException, BadMethodCallException, CachingIterator, DirectoryIterator, DomainException, EmptyIterator, FilterIterator, InfiniteIterator, InvalidArgumentException, IteratorIterator, LengthException, LimitIterator, LogicException, NoRewindIterator, OutOfBoundsException, OutOfRangeException, OverflowException, ParentIterator, RangeException, RecursiveArrayIterator, RecursiveCachingIterator, RecursiveDirectoryIterator, RecursiveFilterIterator, RecursiveIteratorIterator, RecursiveRegexIterator, RegexIterator, RuntimeException, SimpleXMLIterator, SplFileInfo, SplFileObject, SplObjectStorage, SplTempFileObject, UnderflowException, UnexpectedValueException 

Hi Rick

Look in ..

catalog/includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/modules/product_info.php

Within the process() method $leading_values contains what will be the title.

Many thanks for that your a star.

Robert,

I have installed this modification as a replacement to my own module. So far I have it enabled on my product_info.php page and want to test it here before giving it control of anymore pages. The goal is to be able to manipulate the title and description tags. But I have found myself at a loss in regards to doing so. Your instructions say to modify language file. However, I believe I need to modify the "%s" content.

Current Title Tag (w/KISS):

<title>PRODUCT_NAME - PRODUCT_MODEL - CATEGORY_SUB - CATEGORY_PARENT - by MANUFACTURER_NAME</title> Ex. Future Golf Shoes Black Brown - Futblkbrn - Mens Golf Shoes - Mens Golf Apparel - by Radioactive Golf

Previous Title Tag (My Mod)

<title>MANUFACTURERS_NAME + PRODUCT_NAME</title>

Radioactive Golf Future Golf Shoes Black Brown

What would be the best step to achieve something similar to my previous title tag? From my experience I have found that I can achieve much higher SEO rankings in google organic listing on a product basis my reducing as much text from the title tag as possible. I believe by doing so it increases the relevancy between the title tag and the page content. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

What would be the best step to achieve something similar to my previous title tag? From my experience I have found that I can achieve much higher SEO rankings in google organic listing on a product basis my reducing as much text from the title tag as possible. I believe by doing so it increases the relevancy between the title tag and the page content. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Yes the title should match the content and that should be done by authoring the content correctly complete with relevant h1/2/3 tags etc.

Modification of static pages and static title additions are handled in the language files ( e.g. by Radioactive Golf ), modification of dynamic pages ( like products ) are handled by the modules which can be found in ..

catalog/includes/modules/kiss_meats_tags/modules/

E.g. the module handling product_info.php is named product_info.php.

Edited by FWR Media

Here is an issue I found..

When a product has attributes, and then you add the product to the cart, the url is not converted by USU 5..the url gets something like {5}55{9}20

At that point the canonical is no longer the USU 5 url..basically what this will do is have a duplicate page

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Hi Ryan

Yes the title should match the content and that should be done by authoring the content correctly complete with relevant h1/2/3 tags etc.

Modification of static pages and static title additions are handled in the language files ( e.g. by Radioactive Golf ), modification of dynamic pages ( like products ) are handled by the modules which can be found in ..

catalog/includes/modules/kiss_meats_tags/modules/

E.g. the module handling product_info.php is named product_info.php.

Robert,

Thanks for the response. I was able to alter product_info KISS module file to the extent I had hoped for. Simply by adding "$product_results['manufacturers_name'] . ' ' ." before the product_name I was able to get the desired result of having it read off as Manufacturers_name + product_name. Following came the model and the bread crumb. I decided the model number was best to keep as it is recommended in the Google Webmaster Guidelines while the bread crumb was to long and dropped my keyword density. I commented out the entire breadcrumb section and successfully removed it. Then I was surprised to see that the product_description started to appear in the title. I edited of function buildTitle and can say I'm happy with the results. Immediately I do not see anything wrong after doing this. Will this cause me problems down the road?

Some of your comments interested me, particularly that the title should match the content. I have authored my page to display the manufacturers_name + product_name in a <h1> tag. Is it possible using your mod to have the title just include the <h1> tag as the title? I think this would reduce the PHP because I would not need to query the manufacturer's name or product name because it is already queried on the oscommerce product_info.php page. I hope you can clarify my train of thought for me. Here is a product page if it helps. "http://www.13thgreen...rey-p-1028.html"

Robert,

I may have done something wrong sad.gif. Google webmaster tools reports 180+ duplicate titles!

Sundog Prowl Sunglasses Tortoise Demi Shiny Black/Grad. Brown Flash Mirror

/prowl-sunglasses-tortoise-demi-shiny-blackgrad-brown-flash-mirror-p-930.html

/sundog-prowl-sunglasses-tortoise-demi-shiny-blackgrad-brown-flash-mirror-p-930.html

As you can see one contains the manufacturer's name while the other does not. Do you think google indexed my website at the wrong time, or is there an error I am unaware of.

Also, my product_info.php is missing the basic meta tags (title, description). I can't think of an instance where a customer would ever land on this page. However, it does show up as missing a tag regardless. What do you think about this, restrict it, noindex it, or tag it?

I can judge that your busy so I will look forward to your reply when you have time.

Thanks

Edited by 32 Degrees

Robert,

I may have done something wrong sad.gif. Google webmaster tools reports 180+ duplicate titles!

Sundog Prowl Sunglasses Tortoise Demi Shiny Black/Grad. Brown Flash Mirror

/prowl-sunglasses-tortoise-demi-shiny-blackgrad-brown-flash-mirror-p-930.html

/sundog-prowl-sunglasses-tortoise-demi-shiny-blackgrad-brown-flash-mirror-p-930.html

As you can see one contains the manufacturer's name while the other does not. Do you think google indexed my website at the wrong time, or is there an error I am unaware of.

Also, my product_info.php is missing the basic meta tags (title, description). I can't think of an instance where a customer would ever land on this page. However, it does show up as missing a tag regardless. What do you think about this, restrict it, noindex it, or tag it?

I can judge that your busy so I will look forward to your reply when you have time.

Thanks

Well your question seems to be mixing contributions here ..

Re: the urls if you are using USU5 then the old url would 301 redirect to the new removing any duplicates.

Re: product_info.php being missing meta data I presume that you mean when accessing product_info.php without a product_id in the querystring, in this case, no there would not be any tags as this file should never be accessed without the product_id.

Well your question seems to be mixing contributions here ..

Re: the urls if you are using USU5 then the old url would 301 redirect to the new removing any duplicates.

Re: product_info.php being missing meta data I presume that you mean when accessing product_info.php without a product_id in the querystring, in this case, no there would not be any tags as this file should never be accessed without the product_id.

Robert,

Thanks for the response, I do appreciate it. Its not that I'm mixing contributions per say on the product_info.php but more of a modification to the KissMT. When I originally installed KissMT I did not agree with the structure of the <title> tags, and thereby modified it to the desired result (in the KissMT product_info module, see 2 earlier posts for clarification).

I think what may have happened was the new meta tags were indexed before I modified them them to include the manufacturers name. Which has resulted in all my duplicate issues. I do have USU5 installed and I do see an immediate redirect, so I expect that the redirect is a 301. Is there a simple way to verify this?

Correct, I did mean accessing product_info.php without a product_id in the querystring. On my site if you attempt to do so it still shows as a page (blank page). I would have never known about this if it hadn't show up in my Google web master tools. My goal now is to remove give it a tag to remove it from the web master tools. Do you by any chance have a simple fix for this?

Thanks

hi,

ive posted some comments on http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/350554-kissmt-dynamic-seo-meta-tags/

but now found this thread http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/352262-kissmt-dynamic-seo-meta-canonical-header-tags/

are they both for http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7199 ?

Which one should I be using? I cant remember how I landed on the other one.

Just want to make sure im posting in the right thread for the right contribution.

Regards

George

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sloki/user/t23307/sites/haniftry.com/www/store/includes/classes/breadcrumb.php:47) in /home/sloki/user/t23307/sites/haniftry.com/www/store/contact_us.php on line 44

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sloki/user/t23307/sites/haniftry.com/www/store/includes/classes/breadcrumb.php:47) in /home/sloki/user/t23307/sites/haniftry.com/www/store/contact_us.php on line 45

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sloki/user/t23307/sites/haniftry.com/www/store/includes/classes/breadcrumb.php:47) in /home/sloki/user/t23307/sites/haniftry.com/www/store/includes/functions/general.php on line 36

and this the line 36 general.php

<?php

/*

$Id: general.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2007 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

////

// Stop from parsing any further PHP code

function tep_exit() {

tep_session_close();

exit();

}

// ULTIMATE Seo Urls 5 by FWR Media

// Redirect to another page or site

function tep_redirect($url) {

if ( (strstr($url, "\n") != false) || (strstr($url, "\r") != false) ) {

tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, '', 'NONSSL', false));

}

if ( (ENABLE_SSL == true) && (getenv('HTTPS') == 'on') ) { // We are loading an SSL page

if (substr($url, 0, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)) == HTTP_SERVER) { // NONSSL url

$url = HTTPS_SERVER . substr($url, strlen(HTTP_SERVER)); // Change it to SSL

}

}

if ( false !== strpos($url, '&') ){

$url = str_replace('&', '&', $url);

}

session_write_close();

header('Location: ' . $url); ///here

exit;

}

i have that message please help me

Edited by hamzdev

and this the line 36 general.php

i have that message please help me

Make sure you dont have any space after the final ?> in store/includes/classes/breadcrumb.php

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to:

1) Add custom Titles and Descriptions keywords to each of the categories individually in addition/preceeding to the automatic retrieval of entries that it does by default?

Correct me if I'm on the wrong track but you would want to target specific keywords on specific pages? The automatic retrieval of database entries from headings, products, categories and the like may not have these included. Don't most people try to custom add keywords on most pages possible to target specific keyword phrases? How can this be achieved with KISS MT?

2) Make amendments so that the index meta description does not combine KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE in front of KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_DESCRIPTION?

Example: <meta name="description" content="KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE,KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_DESCRIPTION">?

What would have to change to get rid of the KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE and the comma after it in the description output and display them individually?

Is there any reason this done this by default? Does anyone have experience with understanding why the title is inserted into the description field with this contribution. Most SEO consultants talk about having a custom Title and description written individually but with common keywords linking the two and also those same keywords in headings and throughout the body of the text on the page. Won't it read funny in Google with the title in bold and then underneath in the description exactly the same? Depending on the length you choose for the title this could make up most of the description in the search results not leaving you with the chance to have a description directed to the human audience.

Thanks in advance.

George

KissMT doesn't care how many products you have .. the cache loads on a page by page basis so shop size doesn't matter.

Hey Rob,

Truly appreciate the work you've been doing here, and everywhere else.

Now for my question;

We experienced a problem today that has a number of different possible causes and remedies. Because KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags was the last thing added I decided to delete it and eliminate a variable. I was working on getting it to work with googlexml_sitemap_seo_v_1.4 which wasn't quite right yet.

The problem? Slow server, & 500 errors.

In my attempt to delete KissMT I discovered a huge amount of files in the cache, located something like includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/cache ~ written today are some 80 - 100 thousand files - the contents of those whatever.cache files are some kind of mumbo-jumbo ascii or stuff I won't post here because it could explain to the world the color of my shorts or my receding hairline progress.

Sort of a task to delete it all, but is that the way it's supposed to be? A separate file for each manufacturer, sub-sub-sub-sub-category, and product?

If so, note to FTP users, thank goodness for the cpanel file manager! Filezilla sez DIRECTORY NOT EMPTY!!!

Hey Rob,

Truly appreciate the work you've been doing here, and everywhere else.

Now for my question;

We experienced a problem today that has a number of different possible causes and remedies. Because KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags was the last thing added I decided to delete it and eliminate a variable. I was working on getting it to work with googlexml_sitemap_seo_v_1.4 which wasn't quite right yet.

The problem? Slow server, & 500 errors.

In my attempt to delete KissMT I discovered a huge amount of files in the cache, located something like includes/modules/kiss_meta_tags/cache ~ written today are some 80 - 100 thousand files - the contents of those whatever.cache files are some kind of mumbo-jumbo ascii or stuff I won't post here because it could explain to the world the color of my shorts or my receding hairline progress.

Sort of a task to delete it all, but is that the way it's supposed to be? A separate file for each manufacturer, sub-sub-sub-sub-category, and product?

If so, note to FTP users, thank goodness for the cpanel file manager! Filezilla sez DIRECTORY NOT EMPTY!!!

KissMT creates a separate file for each dynamic page that loads e.g. product/category/manufacturer etc if you have thousands of products and categories then it would create thousands of .cache files.

To clear all these files all you would have had to do is clear the cache via admin.

An FTP script will have problems opening a directory with 10s of thousands of files because it is listing each one, however, it creates no server slowdown to request a single named file FROM these 10s of thousands of files.

Think of it like this: -

If you had a million people and were doing a roll call it would take ages .. if however you just asked "Is Bob Smith here?" Bob Smith would simply answer Yes which would take no time or effort at all.

Does anyone know how to:

1) Add custom Titles and Descriptions keywords to each of the categories individually in addition/preceeding to the automatic retrieval of entries that it does by default?

Correct me if I'm on the wrong track but you would want to target specific keywords on specific pages? The automatic retrieval of database entries from headings, products, categories and the like may not have these included. Don't most people try to custom add keywords on most pages possible to target specific keyword phrases? How can this be achieved with KISS MT?

KissMT is a dynamic contribution, as osCommerce is a shop it assumes that your prime keywords are the products name, model perhaps manufacturer, it also assumes that you have written the product description correctly.

If all you want to do is laboriously write tags for each page manually then you don't need any contribution you just add a few fields to the database, a little code in admin where you write these manual entries then retrieve them at the front end.

2) Make amendments so that the index meta description does not combine KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE in front of KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_DESCRIPTION?

Example: <meta name="description" content="KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE,KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_DESCRIPTION">?

What would have to change to get rid of the KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE and the comma after it in the description output and display them individually?

You can if you wish modify the standard operation of KissMT by modifying the modules. E.g. for products the file is modules/product_info.php

Is there any reason this done this by default? Does anyone have experience with understanding why the title is inserted into the description field with this contribution. Most SEO consultants talk about having a custom Title and description written individually but with common keywords linking the two and also those same keywords in headings and throughout the body of the text on the page. Won't it read funny in Google with the title in bold and then underneath in the description exactly the same? Depending on the length you choose for the title this could make up most of the description in the search results not leaving you with the chance to have a description directed to the human audience.

KissMT was created to produce the best dynamic match of title keywords and description, if you want to change the standard set up you can modify the modules, if you feel things could be done better then it's always interesting to hear.

Hi sijo,

have you found the solution yet? I am not sure, but I think you need to change your sts css file.

Try to add:

TR.headerCrumb li {

list-style: none;

float: left;

}

Yes, but I had to do some changes in breadcrumb.php

But thanks for your reply..

hi

i just installed this contrib.I have not made any changes to product info file.I need to know how does it use h1 tag.

In previous header tags contrib i had to make changes to product_name in product_info but in this contrib i didnt have to. :-"

regards

Nafri

Polak, this shouldn't be changed, it is perfect. All web pages should be output as html entities.

Fantastic contribution :thumbsup: but I disagree about this aspect of it being perfect. It should be possible for the source code to display the meta tags exactly as they were written,

for example

<meta name="keywords" content="Τακάκια, Ferodo, EBC, ds2500, ds3000, yellowstuff, redstuff">

<meta name="description" content="Τακάκια Ferodo - Τακάκια EBC - Τακάκια">

otherwise you will run into problems with the meta tags going well over the recommended character limits set by search engines leading to penalties. (Or if you set a character limit for the meta tags it will only show the first 16 letters or so, if you set a 100character limit and the average letter uses 6characters for example). I agree search engines will be able to read the tags as they are but they will only read as far as their character limit setting.

Im sure there is a relatively simple solution to this because when I had this issue with my previous hosted shop they sorted it in a couple of hours.