• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Something bizarre

nealc

I can no longer add products to my website.

So this is how this all started. I was logging in to check for any sales or new customer sign ups and I was hit with a mysql error that the database could not be logged into or something along those lines. So I went to my backup which is using PHP 5.0 rather than the 4.1 we have been using. After changing the configure files to reflect these changes the site and admin sides both load but now no products can be added. Should I try to go back to 4.1? I don't see why this would cause this error though. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks.

I am currently just learning osCommerce and PHP, but am always willing to help out.

Have successfully installed the following: Discount Coupons, UPS shipping module, Ultimate SEO URL's, Easy Meta Tags for SEO 1.0, Google XML Sitemap SEO v1.3, HTML Editor for Email and Newsletters.

Are you confusing PHP and MySQL versions? PHP 4.1 is incredibly ancient. 4.4.something is the last of the version 4, and is now out of support. 5.x is current. Anyway, I don't know why a database backup would care about the PHP version.

MySQL 4 and 5 are both in use, although 4 is on its way out. MySQL 5 requires some (downwardly compatible) changes to the PHP code (especially the LEFT JOIN problem). What kinds of configuration changes did you need to make to go between MySQL or PHP versions? What kind of errors are you getting now? If you can't add products, it's hard to believe that there isn't an error message logged somewhere. Have you been jumping back and forth between different servers with different PHP and MySQL levels? Please explain what you're doing with these different levels.

Are you confusing PHP and MySQL versions? PHP 4.1 is incredibly ancient. 4.4.something is the last of the version 4, and is now out of support. 5.x is current. Anyway, I don't know why a database backup would care about the PHP version.

MySQL 4 and 5 are both in use, although 4 is on its way out. MySQL 5 requires some (downwardly compatible) changes to the PHP code (especially the LEFT JOIN problem). What kinds of configuration changes did you need to make to go between MySQL or PHP versions? What kind of errors are you getting now? If you can't add products, it's hard to believe that there isn't an error message logged somewhere. Have you been jumping back and forth between different servers with different PHP and MySQL levels? Please explain what you're doing with these different levels.

Hey Mr. Phil,

Yes, I was confusing the PHP and MySQL versions. MySQL would be my database which is what was incurring the error. Basically, when I tried logging in last night to check my site for sales and do some product adds, my site came up with an error that the database server could not be connected to, I have been unable to replicate the error so I do not have the correct error, obviously. But basically I made a backup of my database anyway in version 5.0 just because I know that version 4.1 is old and I would like to go to the newest version if possible.

After making the switch to the backup my site came back up, except I was unable to add or delete products from the site. Which I thought was odd. I then switched back to 4.1 earlier today and all is working fine again, can add products, delete and make price changes. Don't know what cause this error, but I should check the error log and maybe it will provide me with some bit of information.

Are there any other changes that I need to make to go from 4.1 to 5.0 that I am missing though?

I am currently just learning osCommerce and PHP, but am always willing to help out.

Have successfully installed the following: Discount Coupons, UPS shipping module, Ultimate SEO URL's, Easy Meta Tags for SEO 1.0, Google XML Sitemap SEO v1.3, HTML Editor for Email and Newsletters.

• 1 month later...

MySQL 5 handles osC's LEFT JOINs differently than MySQL 4. It has been brought into conformance with the SQL standards, which breaks much code in osC: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/335136-osc-and-mysql-5-1054-errors . I can't think of anything else that needs to be done for the migration, so if you were having trouble with 5.0, there might have been a configuration problem with MySQL.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but today is the first time the forum has let me see your reply!

Archived