• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shop is live. Feel free to comment. Much appreciate

soccermeister

First, let me just start by saying thanks to all of those who contribute to osCommerce. What a fantastic ecommerce package this is and the community has been great as well. I believe I have done everything needed to tweak and optimize my site to my liking. I have added Header Tags SEO along with Google Sitemap. I would appreciate any and all feeback (good or not) on not just the layout, but for those knowledgeable with SEO, tags and headers as well.

Thank you!

www.fragranceandhandbagboutique.com

In the right column the http link to the Paypal image is causing "non secure items" popup in IE.

It is this:

http://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/icon/verification_seal.gif

It needs to be:

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/icon/verification_seal.gif

You can't have HTTP links to images or scripts on HTTPS pages.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Thank you Germ, it's been corrected. Can you comment on the meta tags and/or page titles? I used Header Tags SEO and while my pages are slowly being indexed by Google, the only search term, after 3-4 weeks, that's showing up in Google is "Fragrance and Handbag Boutique". None of my keywords are indexed.

From my point if view, the problem might be the fact that on your product info pages it's just adding the keyword for that particular product to the end of the already long list of keywords.

I think that is a mistake.

IMHO the keywords on the product info page should be just that product only - nothing else.

I used the Easy Meta-tags contribution myself (not the latest version), and with that and some custom coding applied to it, the site I manage went from page 8 to page 1, position 1 on Google (and all the other major search engines) on our main search term in about a month or less, and we've been there for quite some time (about 3 months) now.

I'm no SEO expert by any stretch of anyone's imagination. All I can say is what worked for me.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Looks like a basic osc site, from my point of view it needs a cleaner header image and the colours do not support a class "fragrance" site.

BTW there is a comma in the header top left.

Shipping and returns needs to be completed.

Why have a us flag as there is only one language and as international deliveries need to go via another site why have Euros and Danisk kroners on this one?

T&Cs need extra line breaks to make it more readable.

I wouldn't trade with you, I can't find where you are based.

Enjoy

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Looks like a basic osc site, from my point of view it needs a cleaner header image and the colours do not support a class "fragrance" site.

BTW there is a comma in the header top left.

Shipping and returns needs to be completed.

Why have a us flag as there is only one language and as international deliveries need to go via another site why have Euros and Danisk kroners on this one?

T&Cs need extra line breaks to make it more readable.

I wouldn't trade with you, I can't find where you are based.

Enjoy

G

- Thank you for the constructive feedback. I have updated the contact us page with address, phone, etc.

-I'm in the process of making a new header. I thought the comma was just my screen but I guess I was wrong :)

-The reason for the US flag is because we are adding a Danish language page shortly, but you're right. No need for it right now.

-Question about the basis OSC layout. I have looked at other designs/templates and I've contemplated switching. However, I have added a lot of customization (contact us page, header tags, random products, etc.). Won't changing the template be a major undertaking?

Thanks!

- Thank you for the constructive feedback. I have updated the contact us page with address, phone, etc.

-I'm in the process of making a new header. I thought the comma was just my screen but I guess I was wrong :)

-The reason for the US flag is because we are adding a Danish language page shortly, but you're right. No need for it right now.

-Question about the basis OSC layout. I have looked at other designs/templates and I've contemplated switching. However, I have added a lot of customization (contact us page, header tags, random products, etc.). Won't changing the template be a major undertaking?

Thanks!

The text in your product descriptions has no styling. ie - the <td> that encloses the description has no 'class', and thus the text doesn't match the rest of the site's text.

As far as your meta-tags, they seem to be working great. You have unique meta information for each product. The reason they may not be showing up in Google, is that your meta information is too 'generic'. For example 'men's cologne' is not a great keyword for the simple reason everybody else is using it. There is little reason for Google to pay attention to your use of it. However, your keyword phrase 'Fragrance and Handbag Boutique' is better, it's a bit more unique, more targeted and that is probably why it shows up. 'Fragrance Boutique' or 'Handbag Boutique' would be as poor as 'Men's Cologne'. Find something special to say about your 'Men's cologne' or something special about how your are marketing it. Better yet, use Google keywords to find out what keyword phrases people are using to search for your products

In summary, you appear to have the SEO tool working well, you just need to come up with more unique Keywords, and meta descriptions.

Another technique is that whatever keyword phrase you end up using, work that keyword phrase into a realistic sentence and use that sentence in the text of the product description.

Oscommerce site:

OSC to CSS, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7263 -Mail Manager, http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8120

The text in your product descriptions has no styling. ie - the <td> that encloses the description has no 'class', and thus the text doesn't match the rest of the site's text.

As far as your meta-tags, they seem to be working great. You have unique meta information for each product. The reason they may not be showing up in Google, is that your meta information is too 'generic'. For example 'men's cologne' is not a great keyword for the simple reason everybody else is using it. There is little reason for Google to pay attention to your use of it. However, your keyword phrase 'Fragrance and Handbag Boutique' is better, it's a bit more unique, more targeted and that is probably why it shows up. 'Fragrance Boutique' or 'Handbag Boutique' would be as poor as 'Men's Cologne'. Find something special to say about your 'Men's cologne' or something special about how your are marketing it. Better yet, use Google keywords to find out what keyword phrases people are using to search for your products

In summary, you appear to have the SEO tool working well, you just need to come up with more unique Keywords, and meta descriptions.

Another technique is that whatever keyword phrase you end up using, work that keyword phrase into a realistic sentence and use that sentence in the text of the product description.

Good info npn. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

so you changed the stylesheet !!! big wooop !

Hey thats where we all start and starting is GREAT, one thing i have learnt about OSC is "its all there... you just have to see it" , people much better then i could ever be make AMAZING sites from OSC because they see that <table> can be moved up or down without stopping the database function and thats the power of OSC.

my advice i spay attention to those who say BACKUP BACKUP !!! because its true.

whenever i do a mod i always rename the file on the server "the date backwards" eg: index100813.php ( 2010 august 13th ) then i upload the new altered file, YES i have LOADS of files but once the website is complete i just go through and clean them up. BUTTT if i have to go back i know which files to correct.

I ALWAYS backup the database before doing a mod.

I always download the complete website after completing a difficult mod and call it "version 1.02" or something

I ALWAYS do a complete transcation purchase after each mod including checking the email that comes through and checking the admin area.

I ALWAYS write which mod was done when , as sometimes you don;t find the error for a few days !! bugger.

I ALWAYS map out what mods i want to do before i start, pick the most difficult and get them working first, this way you have a baseline to go back to , NOW after doing so many i have a GREAT version that i just upload and start from there which saves me loadsss of time as i know it all works.

I hope this all helps you continue your work.

tim

Archived