• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Permissions warning message not making sense

Omegagodly

i get the warning message:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/(my directory name)/public_html/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

i get this message while not logged into the admin account, but rather just browsing my pages shop. i have the permissions on this file set to 644, it gives me the message. i also receive this message when i change it to 600 and i can not change it to anything lower than that, but i don't believe i would want to anyways correct? it is okay that the admin can read and write this file isn't it? if it is why am i getting this message?

i get the warning message:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/(my directory name)/public_html/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

i get this message while not logged into the admin account, but rather just browsing my pages shop. i have the permissions on this file set to 644, it gives me the message. i also receive this message when i change it to 600 and i can not change it to anything lower than that, but i don't believe i would want to anyways correct? it is okay that the admin can read and write this file isn't it? if it is why am i getting this message?

The two includes/configure.php files can be set at 0444 or even 0400.

The two includes/configure.php files can be set at 0444 or even 0400.

thank you for your reply. as i had posted above i tried setting them lower than 644; at 444 and 400 respectively. the lowest it allows it to be at is 600, and i will still get the warning message when i visit my page, because of course 600 is allowing the functionality of writing along with reading to the admin.

if it makes any difference i have ran the add on check preferences, and everything else is set at the correct permission against the knowledgebase, along with the two config.php files but i still get this message and thats why im trying to change it or do something to fix it.

Please set the permissions using the functioality in your isp's/hosting packages admin panel.

Sometimes changes made using Filezilla do not work.

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Please set the permissions using the functioality in your isp's/hosting packages admin panel.

Sometimes changes made using Filezilla do not work.

G

okay thank you i will try that, just curious though, is it ever necessary to have the config files set at write?

i have the problem fixed with the settings at 0400, but does it really matter if its at 0400, 0444, or 644?

Read up on *nix permissions. Once you understand what each number is doing it will all make sense.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

Read up on *nix permissions. Once you understand what each number is doing it will all make sense.

thanks for the reply, i had already figured out what each number is doing, i guess my main question was that does the config file ever need the write functionality from the admin? is there ever any direct modification done to that particular file that would render the need of such permission that allow writing capabilities?

thanks for the reply, i had already figured out what each number is doing, i guess my main question was that does the config file ever need the write functionality from the admin? is there ever any direct modification done to that particular file that would render the need of such permission that allow writing capabilities?

Except for the install none whatsoever. 0444/0400 is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived