• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Concept Multistore

Sorry I placed this topic in v3 by mistake!

Because the description for the multistore contribution is limited and I can't not see which problems I could get with many other contributions (some payment methods are only working for one domain) I think it could be simple like follows (maybe it is the same concept, but this is no contribution only a way to work for the expeirenced ones because of future/other contributions), what is your opinion (only all queries have to be changed in the same way, so easily to change in a heavely modified webshop) ?

Concept multistore :

- add store_id (default 1) to the tables where necessary and change indexes

- every webshop has in it's configurationfile an extra field store_id (unique id for each store)

- change all queries for each webshop for store_id (or maybe some tables are the same for all webshops to make it more simple)

- change all queries for admin for store_id (or maybe some tables are the same for all webshops to make it more simple)

- define entries from admin configuration and webshop depended like url webshop, in configuration table (remove some from admin configurationfile)

- extend the login for admin with store_id (dropdown webshop names) (this program does not use stores_id, only for the login and to put it into a session field)

- in the top of admin (only after login as superadmin user) the possibility to change between stores

- in the top of admin (only after login as superadmin user) the possibility to choose to see orders from all stores or only one store (default)

- only orders get an unique number so not webshop depended (view extended with webshopname)

- enter products and categories for each webshop (are mostly different, but this is to change later what an owner wishes)

- languagesfiles al the same in admin, depended webshop definitions in table configuration (new group) extended with languagecode in the definition, separte function to retrieve contents definition

- only the names of images can be added (upload via Easy Populate), images itself must be added by FTP at once (more efficient)

- if you want to see the images too in admin, store the images in admin/image_websops (extended with stores_id) and define this path in the configuration table (has key store_id too) (you may not put only the images in admin for all webshops, because of SSL warnings, must be the same domain and admin lies in another domain e.g. of the first webshop)

- image name logo webshop in admin extended with store_id (and adapt program where necessary like header, for pdf invoices you can put this name into the configuration field)

- each contribution can be easily adapted in this way

I think no error/problems senseable .... do I forgot something ?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I understand now better that the concept of a multistore is in fact more stores, one admin and same products, so the stock is shared.

So this is in fact a lot of work always for a solution.

In fact my customers wants only a panel to control all their stores (different products) with one admin but separate databases (otherwise one database will be too big).

So my solution for that problem is as follows :

- all webshops have separate domains and separate databases but all on one server

- their is only one admin (so in the first domain) and has one login

- images can not be uploaded anymore, so programs have to be changed that only the name will be filled in (browse is still possible for names), with FTP images have to be transfer

- one config file with all database login data

- with login all databases will be checked, if a user is no superadmin, he/she will be connected to the right webshop

- when a user is a superadmin, the first screen will be a kind of control panel where you see new orders from all webshops, with a button you can go to another database from a webshop, so you have not to login again

- so you can easily control all your webshops from one place

- in the case you have shared products in different webshops, you could create products double with a special written program from admin (keep relations) but you could update them in their own admins (database), stock could be the same in all (same case when you sell products from a wholesaler, stock is never correct exactly) and you could create a cronjob to update the stock for that products every hour

- in this case you have a little bit a multistore too but without to change many programs (for the rest use your creativity as an programmer)

Do I forget something ?

Ok, I understand now better that the concept of a multistore is in fact more stores, one admin and same products, so the stock is shared.

So this is in fact a lot of work always for a solution.

In fact my customers wants only a panel to control all their stores (different products) with one admin but separate databases (otherwise one database will be too big).

So my solution for that problem is as follows :

- all webshops have separate domains and separate databases but all on one server

- their is only one admin (so in the first domain) and has one login

- images can not be uploaded anymore, so programs have to be changed that only the name will be filled in (browse is still possible for names), with FTP images have to be transfer

- one config file with all database login data

- with login all databases will be checked, if a user is no superadmin, he/she will be connected to the right webshop

- when a user is a superadmin, the first screen will be a kind of control panel where you see new orders from all webshops, with a button you can go to another database from a webshop, so you have not to login again

- so you can easily control all your webshops from one place

- in the case you have shared products in different webshops, you could create products double with a special written program from admin (keep relations) but you could update them in their own admins (database), stock could be the same in all (same case when you sell products from a wholesaler, stock is never correct exactly) and you could create a cronjob to update the stock for that products every hour

- in this case you have a little bit a multistore too but without to change many programs (for the rest use your creativity as an programmer)

Do I forget something ?

It will finally be an admin by choice where you can switch to another admin. Other things will be as described above. So every admin gets the same program for login and showing orders from all other webshops. Even an not superadmin can switch to admin's for webshops he/she is authorized for.

Why this change ? Because directories for cache etc. (or for the pdf invoice) are domain depended, so you can't in a domain (admin) call the pdf invoice in another domain. Advantage: as well as the version of the webshop/admin may be different as long as the login/switch program is the same and works in all that versions ....