• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search Engine (Sphider) integration into osCommerce

pbor1234

I'm actually still running the basic oscommerce (advanced) search scripts on my webshop. Up till now i only excluded some features i didn't want to offer (like search on date) and i had to make an improvement to the raw query when my hoster started to complain ;)

Anyway, i wanted to '''upgrade''' the search functionality with the following:

- search suggest while typing

- did you mean... function on 0 hits on a per keyword basis

- offer additional filters as search results (for example indicate number of hits per categorie in a link as part of the results). I believe the more expensive word to this function is: Faceted Search

- Misspellings (aspell integration using custom dictionary)

I started investigating what tools are available (without the need for a deamon) and ended up with Sphider.

Currently i'm integrating the Sphider solution in terms of queries/tables and logic into oscommerce.

I'm planning to first build an admin only solution to be able to 'play' with the functions (index, search, reindex, ...). Only then the catalog side will be build.

Who is interested in giving advise, performing code review and alike?

Expecting first admin version in about 2 weeks time.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I did a quick-and-dirty implementation of Sphider a couple of years ago. Never did get it cleaned up enough to release. I'm going to go try your Admin now; hopefully it's better than mine.

If you want the rest of my code, just let me know. The front end is basically just a frame for the sphider search page.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 2 weeks later...

oh there is, but it is difficult to imagine how it all could/would work in oscommerce and how much effort it is to setup

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

It works quite well. Sphider spiders pages the same way any search engine does, so it finds all of your page content, not just the limited product data the stock osC search uses. You can specify what pages, and even what parts of pages, you want it to spider.

The setup is fairly simple. I just built a frame for the front-end search page, so it looks like osCommerce with very minimal changes to Sphider. The Admin side is just a link to the Sphider admin page. I didn't feel the need to make the Admin look like osC. You can set up a cron script to run the spider as often as you need to keep it current.

I think there's a fair amount of interest in doing something like this, but most of us just took a roll-your-own approach. A formal Addon would probably garner more interest.

Regards

Jim

It works quite well. Sphider spiders pages the same way any search engine does, so it finds all of your page content, not just the limited product data the stock osC search uses. You can specify what pages, and even what parts of pages, you want it to spider.

The setup is fairly simple. I just built a frame for the front-end search page, so it looks like osCommerce with very minimal changes to Sphider. The Admin side is just a link to the Sphider admin page. I didn't feel the need to make the Admin look like osC. You can set up a cron script to run the spider as often as you need to keep it current.

I think there's a fair amount of interest in doing something like this, but most of us just took a roll-your-own approach. A formal Addon would probably garner more interest.

Regards

Jim

Jim, Carine,

Thanks for the response; i'll try to complete a first working contribution based on 2.2ms2. Meanwhile you can see it in action on my webshop (see link in my profile). It's only in dutch but i guess it will be no problem to understand the logic ;)

Paul

I've installed all codes, but i found this when i tried on search:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getFacets() on a non-object in /home/..../public_html/search_result.php on line 67

any help?

Did you merge the bottom section in applicationtop.php?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am very much interested in this contribution being completed but seems like the orignal coder has lost interest in his own work and hence this contribution maybe in complete.

I would appreciate if this contribution please be completed.

Thanks

• 5 years later...

Sphider was abandoned several years ago, so it would require some major updates to run on a modern server. The code is horrible, so doing that would be quite a lot of work. Let us know if you manage to get it working.

Regards

Jim