• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Stripping characters from database- Anyone know how?

Gata

I am using Easy Populate to load the products from a Filemaker Pro Database. I have some problems with some of the text showing up correctly.

example:

St. Martin?s Press New York 1999 SIGNED by author.

I would normally be able to fix this by hand using special characters- but I have over 3000 products to upload.

Is there a mod or script available to clean up these entries? Has anyone had this problem?

• 1 month later...

Even though its 5 months old here, your question does have a fairly simple answer. I didn't even know what oscommerce was 5 months ago.

Anyway, you can use a find and replace utility in almost any text editor. Of course this is accomplished on the tab delimited file once you export it from the database. For example, open the .txt file with bbedit or some similar program. dreamweaver also has a find and replace. search for the character, type in the character that you want to replace it with, hit the "all" button. and it will replace all instances with the new character.

save the text file and continue with easy populate.

booyashaka