• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta Tags

FWR Media

well then yes I can sure do that... :thumbsup:

PM sent with link.

The latest revision is KissMT_1.0_r48_RC.zip

Only minor changes .. to upgrade just drop the modules/kiss_meta_tags directory on top.

PM sent with link.

The latest revision is KissMT_1.0_r48_RC.zip

Only minor changes .. to upgrade just drop the modules/kiss_meta_tags directory on top.

I PM the following to you... but realize that sooner or later someone would ask the same question... so I'm asking it here too:

I'm on Ms2 and I see RC mentioned on this one so I want to make sure that I don;t end up reporting unfounded errors or ask the wrong questions. Also, do I need to remove Heather Tags SEO to avoid conflicts?

I PM the following to you... but realize that sooner or later someone would ask the same question... so I'm asking it here too:

I'm on Ms2 and I see RC mentioned on this one so I want to make sure that I don;t end up reporting unfounded errors or ask the wrong questions. Also, do I need to remove Heather Tags SEO to avoid conflicts?

Obviously it would be a good idea to completely remove header tags and its database entries. However there will be no conflict apart from where in the KissMT instructions it says to replace ..

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

With header tags that may look like ..

<?php
/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?>
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/
?>

so you would need to replace the above code instead.

Edited by FWR Media

Hi Robert

I'll have a try at KissMT as well.

Thanks, Nick

Download link sent.

Here is how it went for me.

5 minutes to install the basics

Everything is working. When I go view source on my products I can see the changes.

I've read the extras and such. I'm not ready to go there yet because I need to understand what I'm doing first I think. :rolleyes:

At this moment, I'm totally stomped as to how the descriptions now works. And I don't mean in relation to your contribution itself. I had just read that now the description had to be in text form instead of words like we used to do. I understood or at least I thought I understood the why and how of the words in that field. The text however, I have a hard time understanding.

My apologies if my question isn't relevant to this contrib, I just feel that I would know better how to use it so I'm asking and if you can point me to the right place to get the righ info, I'd truly appreciate it.

What I did before... if I had a collection of designs that had to do with farm animals, I would have included something like this in my description:

designs, farm, bunny, frog, dog, puppy, cat, kitty, kitten, cow, donkey, ladybug, ducky, fence, mice, mouse, horse, piggy, sheep, hen, chicken

Now with the contribution and what I've read so far, that's the right way to go, I get this:

collectionname, product number, Applique, Designs, by manufacturer, productsubcategory productcategory Are your kiddos messy or little creative artists Mine are both, which means that I now have mountains of stained t-shirts. Some of them are brand new, but stained What to do, what to...

I'm trying to figure out how that works better now to get higher rankings and such so that when I create my future product descriptions, I can phrase it better. Shoot I hope I'm making sense.

oh and i should add this too...

your contributions are really easy to install but even more so, I understand your instructions. I don't mean I can read them and follow them, I mean I understand what is said and asked. For someone like me, a little store owner who had 0 knowledge of php or database or sql when I first installed osC, that's saying much that I feel I know what I'm doing when following through. I just re-read the get-the-most-out file and optional extras and I get it.

Thanks

I'm installing the extra options. I didn't remove Heather Tags SEO as we discussed before. Installing the basics is no issue. KissMT works well no matter if I remove the other or not. However, when installing the extra options, conflicts arise. I haven't been able to make it work yet.

In the instructions for catalog/index.php:

Find ... There are two of these to be changed. Make sure to change both.

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

Replace with ...

<?php

// KissMT start

KissMT_Desc_Extn::init()->output();

// KissMT end

?>

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

On my modified catalog/index.php there are 3 possible ones. So I opened the original catalog/index.php for Ms2 and it's the same. Can you give more info about which of 2 of the 3 should be changed?

Plus another question which I hope isn't too dumb. Why H1 over H2? I know it sounds dumb but, on my store, I use the H1 as it was already defined but at other spots such as the titles, I needed a different colors and needed another H? to be the same size as H1 but a different color. If it has to be H1 to have value, I have to change all of those through out my store and the second H with the different color, so I'm trying to make sure first... lol

Thanks

Edited by mariemeh

Here is how it went for me.

5 minutes to install the basics

Everything is working. When I go view source on my products I can see the changes.

I've read the extras and such. I'm not ready to go there yet because I need to understand what I'm doing first I think. :rolleyes:

At this moment, I'm totally stomped as to how the descriptions now works. And I don't mean in relation to your contribution itself. I had just read that now the description had to be in text form instead of words like we used to do. I understood or at least I thought I understood the why and how of the words in that field. The text however, I have a hard time understanding.

My apologies if my question isn't relevant to this contrib, I just feel that I would know better how to use it so I'm asking and if you can point me to the right place to get the righ info, I'd truly appreciate it.

What I did before... if I had a collection of designs that had to do with farm animals, I would have included something like this in my description:

Now with the contribution and what I've read so far, that's the right way to go, I get this:

I'm trying to figure out how that works better now to get higher rankings and such so that when I create my future product descriptions, I can phrase it better. Shoot I hope I'm making sense.

The description will not affect your ranking in the SERPS, certainly not Google anyway. This is really the other 50% of SEO which is SEO for the searcher/user.

When you do a search for anything on the web you get a little snippet of information about the site. Often search engines use the description for this. So it should be human readable and attractive to that human.

KissMT uses (product example) the keywords that are product name, model, category first then adds on the first x characters of your product description. For this reason when you write your products description you should ensure that your main keywords are within the first x characters so that the description matches the title well and gives the user a good keyword rich snippet about your site.

Hope that helps.

oh and i should add this too...

your contributions are really easy to install but even more so, I understand your instructions. I don't mean I can read them and follow them, I mean I understand what is said and asked. For someone like me, a little store owner who had 0 knowledge of php or database or sql when I first installed osC, that's saying much that I feel I know what I'm doing when following through. I just re-read the get-the-most-out file and optional extras and I get it.

Thanks

That was a target of this contribution, to be KISS, easy to install yet powerful.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by FWR Media

I'm installing the extra options. I didn't remove Heather Tags SEO as we discussed before. Installing the basics is no issue. KissMT works well no matter if I remove the other or not. However, when installing the extra options, conflicts arise. I haven't been able to make it work yet.

In the instructions for catalog/index.php:

On my modified catalog/index.php there are 3 possible ones. So I opened the original catalog/index.php for Ms2 and it's the same. Can you give more info about which of 2 of the 3 should be changed?

You are quite right there are three, I'll have to change the instructions.

It is the first two as the last one is your default index page.

Plus another question which I hope isn't too dumb. Why H1 over H2? I know it sounds dumb but, on my store, I use the H1 as it was already defined but at other spots such as the titles, I needed a different colors and needed another H? to be the same size as H1 but a different color. If it has to be H1 to have value, I have to change all of those through out my store and the second H with the different color, so I'm trying to make sure first... lol

H1 is the most important tag and should match the title key keywords, the KissMT extra uses a "chopped down" title as the H1 tag.

Hi

I would like to try it out on my new shop. Can you please send me the download link.

Thanks

Sam

Link sent.

Thanks for testing.

The description will not affect your ranking in the SERPS, certainly not Google anyway. This is really the other 50% of SEO which is SEO for the searcher/user.

When you do a search for anything on the web you get a little snippet of information about the site. Often search engines use the description for this. So it should be human readable and attractive to that human.

KissMT uses (product example) the keywords that are product name, model, category first then adds on the first x characters of your product description. For this reason when you write your products description you should ensure that your main keywords are within the first x characters so that the description matches the title well and gives the user a good keyword rich snippet about your site.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does and just re-enforces what I said earlier. I actually understand what you're saying. :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the help.

I'm now changing the H1 codes on all the pages... and I got this error:

Fatal error: Class 'KissMT' not found in /home/www/public_html/catalog/account.php on line 70

So I thought, well maybe it needs for me to add the "require" code

require('includes/application_top.php');

// KissMT start

require_once DIR_WS_MODULES . 'kiss_meta_tags/classes/kissmt_descriptions_extension.php';

// KissMT end

I guess I'm doing something wrong right?

Edited by mariemeh

I'm now changing the H1 codes on all the pages... and I got this error:

So I thought, well maybe it needs for me to add the "require" code

I guess I'm doing something wrong right?

As it says in the instructions .. you can only add the H1 code when you have also replaced the title/title code.

This is why the class is missing.

Do you think it would be possible to manually add or modify the keywords or the only way to do it would be to rephrase my product description?

Rephrase your description. To manually modify the meta tags would make KissMT redundant.

ok, I don't think I "had" to remove Heather Tags SEO but on some pages, everything was getting so confusing, that it didn't make sense to keep it either. However, that took a long time!!

The only part that I got confused was the modification you asked for in catalog/index.php that I mentioned earlier and for some reason, when I compare my index.php file with yours, it's the first and the last of the 3 possible ones for this:

Find ... There are two of these to be changed. Make sure to change both.

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

Replace with ...

<?php

// KissMT start

KissMT_Desc_Extn::init()->output();

// KissMT end

?>

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

But maybe my memory is failing me. Still, I'm sure you'll figure out when you look at your index.php page.

ok, I don't think I "had" to remove Heather Tags SEO but on some pages, everything was getting so confusing, that it didn't make sense to keep it either. However, that took a long time!!

The only part that I got confused was the modification you asked for in catalog/index.php that I mentioned earlier and for some reason, when I compare my index.php file with yours, it's the first and the last of the 3 possible ones for this:

But maybe my memory is failing me. Still, I'm sure you'll figure out when you look at your index.php page.

Hi Marie

There's not a lot I can do about the header tags code, I've had to remove it on a number of occasions for customers myself and it's a coding nightmare but that is some one elses contribution not mine.

All I can do is try to make KissMT as easy to install (and uninstall if need be) as possible.

The index.php code is a bit tricky to explain if the file isn't standard.

We are adding some code just below the HEADING_TITLE to display the category/manufacturers description.

The first is for nested categories

The second is for products/manufacturers listings.

The third which we ignore is the default index page.

Can you PM me the DL link so I can try this out?

Link sent.