• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

coolMenu

Keyser Soze

I've been trying to find a way to adjust the vertical positioning of the text within the category boxes, but for the life of me can't figure out where that can be done.

-It's probably a really obvious thing, but of course, I can't find it.

If anyone has had success in finding this parameter, please share...I would LOVE to move the box text out of the upper-left corner - it's just so "upper-left", if you know what I mean.

Jordan

"There is no such thing as failure....there is only quitting too soon." - Albert Sabin

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

First, I must said that coolmenu is great.

I have one question. Is it possible to cache output of the coolmenu ? I have many categories and when I looked to mysql logs I have many SELECT queries..

Please help.

Sincerly,

Martin

hi,

I've installed Coolmenu ==> working fine. I have a little problem though:

I made the coolmenu overriding the categories box underneath, but when the old box unfolds it gets longer then the coolmenu.

Is there a way to make the unfolding feature of the old categories box disabled so that its lenght will match exactly the coolmenu one ?

Thanks

Franco

Outside links in signatures are not allowed!

hi,

I've installed Coolmenu ==> working fine. I have a little problem though:

I made the coolmenu overriding the categories box underneath, but when the old box unfolds it gets longer then the coolmenu.

Is there a way to make the unfolding feature of the old categories box disabled so that its lenght will match exactly the coolmenu one ?

Thanks

Franco

The issue has been discussed earlier in this coolMenu thread, so you should be able to find a solution here somewhere. Maybe you should put '$height' as a search option.

But I can give you some ideas:

The 'old category box' serves as a kind of space maker for the coolmenu. So if you don't want it, just remove it from column_left.php.

But if you do that, there will be no space for the menu, so you would have to add space in another way. This could be done by sizing an invisible image to fit the height of the menu. But then againg, that's also the way the 'old category box' may be sized.

But if you

make the unfolding feature of the old categories box disabled
as you suggest, there will be no space for the menu, which would then overlap the next box.

I have somewhere in the coolMenu thread showed how to calculate the height of the category box, because the

count($categories);

calculation used in the contributions coolmenu.php I find incorrect, as it does not count the categories on level zero, which I find are the ones of significance.

I love posting and getting zero response...it makes me feel so warm and fuzzy ;)

"I've been trying to find a way to adjust the vertical positioning of the text within the category boxes, but for the life of me can't figure out where that can be done. -It's probably a really obvious thing, but of course, I can't find it."

"If anyone has had success in finding this parameter, please share...I would LOVE to move the box-text out of the upper-left corner - it's just so "upper-left"...if you know what I mean."  Jordan

Please, if anyone has had experience with this, could you suggest a method?

J

"There is no such thing as failure....there is only quitting too soon." - Albert Sabin

Ive read through all of these threads and have checked the solutions of everyone one that offered. However, I still cant get the categories to show up in the infobox?

Please help, I really want to get this to work.

Thanks,

David

Ive read through all of these threads and have checked the solutions of everyone one that offered.  However, I still cant get the categories to show up in the infobox?

Please help, I really want to get this to work.

Thanks,

David

Can you get the menu to show up in another box or won't it show up at all?

If you can make it show in another box, why don't you just replace the code in the

../boxes/information.php with the code from .../boxes/coolmenu.php

and then ajust the menu position

oCMenu.fromLeft

oCMenu.fromTop

to place the menu inside the box.

Hello you all,

I use coolmenu and it works very well. But I wonder, whether it is possible to use this "shadow info box", to be seen in www.geraeteland.de, which is the shop of Andreas, the author of coolmenu.

Is Andreas still joining this thread? Does anyone know whether it gives a contribution for this very smart "shadow stuff"?

Thanks for answering

Jan :)

Hi

Maybe someone should volunteer to outdate all the fixes that are posted in this thread to the contrib so as to benefit the rest of us. Not everyone has the time to search for some common problems.

Ha! the contrib has not been updated since....

Thanks for reading this... :D

Having installed menu, I was surprised and happy with the results until, I tried to put it onto my shop.

The problem with my shop is that it is not the standard oscommerce size of 100% but instead is in a centered table 700 pixels wide.

As a result, I can not get the menu to display in the correct position by using the:

oCMenu.fromLeft=10

oCMenu.fromTop=160

As the page is resized centered, the menu is in different positions all the time depending on the screen width.

The "%" values for this option does not appear to work. my menu just disapears all together.

I've even tried writing a little javascript to sort out the problem of getting the left position by using screen width /2 -350 + position etc...

Although that worked in the first instance. if the screen was resized, I couldn't get it to move the location of the menu. Hence, the menu was totally in the wrong place.

I've been on with this for two days now and my head is banging.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

This is a great forum for posting help requests isn't it !

Nice to totally ignored.

Never mind, I've sorted the problem myself.

Thanks for your suggestion, HJP....again you have shown your Kung-Fu to be intensely powerful :D

hjp Posted on May 11 2004, 08:26 PM:

I would use stylesheet - padding and padding-left are then good keywords.

I'll try to modify my main stylesheet to address the text positioning (or were you referring to adding css tags to the CoolMenu config?).

JD

Ohhhhhhh, one more thang, HJP: if I read you correctly, you mentioned that an entirely new menu can be called from the main menu, but can a completely seperate menu be called from one page to the next?

HJP said:

Menu item creation:

myCoolMenu.makeMenu(name, parent_name, text, link, target, width, height, regImage, overImage, regClass, overClass , align, rows, nolink, onclick, onmouseover, onmouseout)

Just look at the source code of your site and you will see how 'name' and 'parent_name' are corealated.

But if you want another 'standalone' menu, just give it another name, and call it from the first one if you like.

For example, I have a systems page and a parts page; it would be less confusing for the user if each page had it's own discrete lists of coolmenu selections, i.e.: the parts page has only parts, the systems page has only systems. (hope I'm being clear enough...let me know if you need a clearer explaination).

And, actually, the system page's menu wouldn't need anything from the db, only hardcoded items. The part page's menu would be basically the same as it is now, calling items from the db.

Any ideas on how to do this? It should be fairly straight-forward, correct? Is it a matter of building a similarly configured DHTML menu from scratch and positioning it over the default categories box, or can I use the existing coolmenu and have it show different things on different pages? If the latter is true, can I just call a seperate menu, such as a coolmenu_2.php page from the systems.php page; one that has no db calls, only hardcoded links?

hmmm....many, many questions...

JD

I've tried to use the css to change the positioning of the coolmenu text, but have not been successful. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or, at the very least, can someone tell me where a class can be assigned to the text in the menu?

JD

P.S. Email notification is enabled, but isn't working for me in this forum...has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

OK....once again, I have been shown the way down the dark and windy path that is CoolMenu by the wisdom of the mighty HJP.

-The menu text can be moved by using the "padding" tag in the stylesheet....it just took a little futzing.

JD

Has anyone else a performance difference when using coolmenu? I have over 50 categories, and it seems that loading any page takes about twice as long when I use coolmenu then when I use the stock categories box (cached).

-jared

it also apparently nukes my "new products for May" box, though to be fair I haven't looked into that at all . . .

-jared

There will be a performance delay because the menu is being created via the javascript everytime a page is loaded.

The same code (more or less) is being run to create the menu items for both the standard category menu and the coolmenu.

Before the coolmenu can be displayed however, the javascript then needs to take the menu links created and dynamically create the layers and tables before the menu is displayed.

Whereas the normal category menu just needs to create some simple html links.

The menu however, should not effect the "New Products" box. Have you made any amendments to the coolmenu code that may be conflicting variable names?

Hey i installed this on my index page so far with all the other stuff done except the other pages..just testing it out..and the menu overlaps the other info boxes?

What should I do? Also hwo do i make the boxes for teh catgories smaller like the sub cat's?

Thanks

my problem pic

This question has been asked and answered more than any other question in this topic-string...I suggest you read the whole thing from beginning to end. -You'll find there are a lot of good tips and helpful ideas.

And yes, you'll find the answer to your question...more than once :D

JD

thanks, got it working, without looking through the forum, i rather mess around with it than read thru 66 pages. lol

Great contrib!!!!!!!