• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

coolMenu

Keyser Soze

I too, am experiencing the same behavior.

It appears That at first I had both the standard Categories Block with the new Coolmenu hovering on top. I then disabled the Cache feature of OSC, and the Categories Block is not gone and the Coolmenu is floating on top of the next Left Blocks. Coolmenu is NOT within a block but on its own?

You can see the problem I am haveing here:

http://www.ezmarbles.com/~denmark/catalog/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Correction - "After Disabling Cache Feature, the Categories Block is NOW gone, with the Coolmenu on top of other blocks"

I too, am experiencing the same behavior.

It appears That at first I had both the standard Categories Block with the new Coolmenu hovering on top. I then disabled the Cache feature of OSC, and the Categories Block is NOW gone and the Coolmenu is floating on top of the next Left Blocks. Coolmenu is NOT within a block but on its own?

You can see the problem I am haveing here:

http://www.ezmarbles.com/~denmark/catalog/

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

All is working on my web server now...

Good to hear, Tony. Yes I too tend to forget about caching issues...

It appears That at first I had both the standard Categories Block with the new Coolmenu hovering on top. I then disabled the Cache feature of OSC, and the Categories Block is NOW gone and the Coolmenu is floating on top of the next Left Blocks. Coolmenu is NOT within a block but on its own?

The thing about coolmenu is, that it's always sort of floating on top of the rest of the page. One part of the coolmenu code is trying to adjust the size of the appropriate box in a way so that it looks like coolmenu is inside and being a part of that box, while it still is actually "hovering".

However, for most people, this part of the code doesn't work, i.e., the box doesn't have the correct size. An improved code is just one page back in this thread, for both auto-adjusting width and heigth, you might want to check that out.

On a side note, I believe it would be a good idea to add the improved code to the contribution. IMHO that would save almost every new coolmenu user a lot of trouble.

Any opinions?

Peter

This space for rent

Peter,

Thanks for putting me on the right track!

My attempt to shortcut the problem by only reading the last few posts where ultimately my demise!

I have a complete understanding and will make the adjustments needed until I get the desired result.

Excellent!

Just read the 30 pages of this thread, saw my problem a number of times but never found a fix for it. I just installed coolmenu, and have reinstalled 2 more times to double check, like many others I get a blank coolmenu box. I do not have any 's in my categories or subcategories. Any ideas on how to make it work would be appreciated.

You should look at the source code of the generated page to see if there are any errors there. You should look first for the array declarations of the coolMenu (it sould be almost to the top, if you did everything correctly), and then keep looking for any messages like "function not found" or something.

When i first installed MS2 with CoolMenu i kind of remember that i got a blank infoBox like you, and after searching the source code i found that MS2 had one function missing. So i copy and pasted it from MS1 to MS2, and that got the job done.

I just re installed coolmenu, still a blank box. When I view the source I see no errors. Any ideas? My site is www.onlinepc.com.au/catalog

Tiapan:

If you're using IE, have a look in the bottom left hand corner when you load the page, and you will see a 'Script Error' appear. Double click and it will tell you details of the error. A quick look at line 132 shows the CPU'S category. I'm guessing the CPU[']S character is causing the problems. Try renaming the CPU'S category to CPUs and see how you go.

fiscus

Yes, you can use it with a centered shop... the menu isn't actually a part of the layout, it just appears that way because it hovers over the category box. To adjust the menu location you need to edit the includescoolmenu.php file.

//Menu properties

oCMenu.pxBetween=0

oCMenu.fromLeft=8

oCMenu.fromTop=116

oCMenu.rows=0

oCMenu.menuPlacement="left"

The two settings you need to concern yourself with are oCMenu.fromLeft and oCMenu.fromTop.

HTH,

Tony

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

fiscus

Yes, you can use it with a centered shop... the menu isn't actually a part of the layout, it just appears that way because it hovers over the category box. To adjust the menu location you need to edit the includescoolmenu.php file.

//Menu properties

oCMenu.pxBetween=0

oCMenu.fromLeft=8

oCMenu.fromTop=116

oCMenu.rows=0

oCMenu.menuPlacement="left"

The two settings you need to concern yourself with are oCMenu.fromLeft and oCMenu.fromTop.

HTH,

Tony

Hmm hows does this work, when say I'm running 1600x1200 and someone else in on 800x600?

I run the coolMenu on my site, and have tested it locally with my full width site (I don't operate a centred store) on 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 (multi-monitor setup) and it shows it in the menu in the correct place. If the sizes were going to affect the layout I would guess that it would affect it's position in a standard setup.

All you can do I guess is try... if it works (I think it will...) it's a bonus! :)

Tony

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

Ok.. first of all i'am a newbie.. i just install and did everything as the instruction told me so, the only problem i ran into is the Menu seem to Float on other box.. everything came out right but i can't seem to make the Menu fit into the Categorie box ..

HELPP THIS NEWBIE PLEASEEEEEEE

Ok.. first of all i'am a newbie.. i just install and did everything as the instruction told me so, the only problem i ran into is the Menu seem to Float on other box.. everything came out right but i can't seem to make the Menu fit into the Categorie box ..

Please read this post to see a solution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...tart=290#217634

The file you have to edit is catalog/includes/coolmenu.php. Look for the line that says:

$height.= 2.65*count($categories);

That's were you have to include the code from the link above.

Good luck!

I also just realise that tehre are no Categories Box

jUst the menu floating

helpp

I have requested help with this several times, I will GLADLY send someone a donation if they could take a moment to help me figure this out...

http://alphabetangel.com/oscom/catalog/default.php

You can see the 'coolMenu' in the right column...

I want to know how (where) to add links for pages that are NOT entered in as products.

I can probably fumble through the majority of this, if someone could tell me which file needs to edited. And again, I am dangling an incentive, I will send you a donation for your help.

:wink: Jenn

Jenn,

I'm using IE6 and your coolMenu shows in the left column for me.

Where would you like to show the links?

If you click on my WWW button below, you'll see how I put the All Products link at the bottom of the menu. Is this the type of thing you're after?

Or did you want to add links in the Menu itself, without them being products?

Cheers,

Tony

I have requested help with this several times, I will GLADLY send someone a donation if they could take a moment to help me figure this out...

http://alphabetangel.com/oscom/catalog/default.php

You can see the 'coolMenu' in the right column...

I want to know how (where) to add links for pages that are NOT entered in as products

Hi Jenn,

Easy as 123 :wink: here ya go:

In catalog/includes/coolmenu.php goto about line 208. It should be after these lines:

// remove blanks

$categories[$i]['text'] = substr($categories[$i]['text'], 12*$blank_length);

print_menu_line($categories[$i], $depth_size,$depth_parentid, $depth);

}

but before this:

?>	

// create menu

Ok, in between those, add something like this:

echo "oCMenu.makeMenu('top_4','','YourTitleHere','http://www.YourURL.com')n";

echo "oCMenu.makeMenu('top_5','','YourTitleHere','http://www.YourURL.com')n";

Just add the correct titles and URLs for your site.

you can add as many of these lines as you like. All need a "top_X" number. Above case is if you have had three top-level categories, so the next one would be "top_4", as above. Just fill in the correct numbers for your site.

It would be possible to write a code that automatically fills in the correct "top_X" number, but this is just supposed to be a quick and dirty solution.. :wink:

I hope it'll work for ya,

Nils

ps it is possible to add "subcategories" too, of course

Thank you both for responding!!!

Nils, could you whip out something easy to explain how to do the same for subcategories,

and give me your address cause I'd like to send you a check!

This has been driving me insane for weeks!

MAHALO!!!!

Jenn

Nils, could you whip out something easy to explain how to do the same for subcategories,

and give me your address cause I'd like to send you a check!

Nah, don't send me a check for something like that :wink: but thanks anyway... But maybe you could send me a postcard from Hawaii, I'll send you a PM

Did you try my solution so far, did it work for you?

Ok, here's the solution for sub-levels following the previous example:

echo "oCMenu.makeMenu('top_4','','YourTitleHere','http://www.YourURL.com')n";

echo "oCMenu.makeMenu('top_5','','YourTitleHere','http://www.YourURL.com')n";

echo "oCMenu.makeMenu('sub_5_1','top_5','SubTitlehere','http://www.YourURL.com')n";

echo "oCMenu.makeMenu('sub_5_2','top_5','SubTitlehere','http://www.YourURL.com')n";

...this will give the fith first-level slot of your menu two sub-slots. Don't forget the 'top_x' here, depending on the parent slot, apart from the 'sub_X_Y' with X being # of parent slot, Y number of sub slot in this parent slot.

And remember, adding and deleting regular first-level categories via Admin area will mess up the numers you're using here. But I guess you're aware of that :wink:

Nils

Would someone save me from reading 33 pages? I went to replace the coolmenu.php file in catalog/includes/boxes with the new one.....only there wasn't one.

I did a clean install of 2.2 a few days ago and only have 1 mod on it so far.

I went ahead with the changes to catalog/includes/classes/boxes.php but nothing is changed.

Here is my site: (not ready for the public yet)

http://www.elegantdepressionglass.com/cata...talog/index.php

Thanks for your help.

Cindyd