• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Well looky here... another site powered by OsCommerce :lol:

dreamscape

Hey all,

I think I am complete/nearly complete with my site. I have uploaded the to date final version. I am just looking it over again a few times to be sure I've got everything on my list for going live. My goal was March 1st to go live, launch the ad campaign, submit to google, etc... I think I'm gonna come in early; just a wee bit of testing to be *certain* it is in top working order.

Here is a long list of some of the main contributions/mods I did.

** - <i>items not currently available as contributions.</i>

Ian's SID killer

"buy now" links to forms

Must agree to terms/conditions to checkout

Allow guests to write reviews

Review Approval system

Login Infobox v1.0

Print Receipt v1.1 (member only)

Wishlist v1.2 extended (member only)

UPS/USPS/FedEx HTML tracking v1.2 (member only)

Restructured User Friendly "My Account" section (member only)**

Cieto Featured Products v1.5 (modded quite a bit)

Allprods.php

Category Tabs v1.2 (modded quite a bit)

Attributes Sorter/Copier v5 (admin)

Update Order (admin)

Customers Change (admin)

Monthly Sales/Tax Report v1.5 (admin)

Easy Populate 2.4beta7 (admin)

Latest News

Conditions/Privacy statements

Customers Also bought section modded**

Exclude test accounts from Monthly Sales/Tax Report**

Purging of SIDs in the links on the login page**

Modified product listing layout**

Dynamic Meta/Header tags (includes Linda's header tags controller)

Popup help windows modded**

Harald's HelpDesk

PayPal IPN v.97

X-Sell Module (modded quite a bit)

X-Sell Admin

HTML emails

- Shipping/Order tracking

- Order confirmation

Dynamic page titles

Group/Category Specials (admin)**

Product Reviews on Product Info Page

Security warnings fix by Linda

I still need to work on populating all the products (only statues is complete), but will do that as I go. Hopefully books, incense and statues will be completed when I go live

If anybody would like to view the member's account section & wishlist, and does not wish to create an account, I have set up a test account to use:

email: [email protected]

pass: testit

I welcome all comments, and please if you see something that I perhaps looked over, please let me know (this has been a long time coming.. wouldn't want to screw it up because of one small thing I overlooked)... again, all comments are very much welcomed.

http://www.allthingsnewage.com (sorry I dunno why but right now the HTTP server seems to be really really slow... hopefully it'll be back up to speed soon)

Thank you all so very much for your time.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's look really nice. And I love your category tabs now ... much cleaner and crisper without the small-caps ... :D

yes, thanks for pointing that out to me :)

- Edmund Burke

Your logo is quite 'fuzzy' on the edges (as you can see blow)

Unless you intended to do that you might want to sharpen it up a bit.

header_logo.gif

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Your logo is quite 'fuzzy' on the edges (as you can see blow)

Unless you intended to do that you might want to sharpen it up a bit.

well without its background it sure looks funny matice, you nut :lol:

when I made the logo, I made it on the background and then decided to make the image transparent and the background be an actual background of the table... so then when you put them together how they go, the "fuzzies" go right back into the picture where they belong, don't ya think?

header_sample.jpg

- Edmund Burke

Think it's a matter of taste:

Even in your example it still has some fuzzy leftovers...

Look at the upper right of the letter G, I find that very ugly.

I would drop the fuzzyness alltogether and use sharp clean outlines...

No transparent fuzzy wuzzy reaches my nutty logo's ;)

Other than that I like the layout of your site :D

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I agree with mattice.

I don't like the transparent outline, and I seriously think you could benefit using a different fill color for the logo. Like it is now, the logo disappears when you're looking elsewhere besides it.

Use a color that "pops" from the background. Remember that many users don't recall a shop's name if it isn't constantly mentioned. And visual memory for that case is very important. Every time a page is served, you never look at the logo. But if your subconscious sees it when your eyes go around it, you will often remember later the logo and at least some of the name.

And how many times you wanted to visit that site which name you don't remember?

Overall it's nice (if a bit Osc looking*)..

3 things immediately stand out:

1) Poor quality of the logo (as mentioned above)

2) Those awful tabbed category buttons. Really tacky.

3) The white bit above the "login here" box. On the other side it's not white.

* header, column, main, column, footer - boring but functional.

hey guy thanks for all the info on the logo...

to be perfectly honest, my monitor is shot, so everything looks hazzy/fuzzy... then after awhile, the term fuzzy starts to become hazzy and hazzy starts to become clear until you foget that your monitor is is bad shape... and then people kindly point out someone, and you're like, Oh yeah I didn't notice cause everything looks like that on my monitor...

thanks again... I depend on you guys to let me know when something looks kinda funny... cause over here it all looks knda funny :lol:

- Edmund Burke

I thank you for your comments burt, but am not sure what you mean by:

3) The white bit above the "login here" box.  On the other side it's not white.

It should be showing up like its floating over top of a dark strip:

screen_right.jpg

- Edmund Burke

to be perfectly honest, my monitor is shot, so everything looks hazzy/fuzzy... then after awhile, the term fuzzy starts to become hazzy and hazzy starts to become clear until you foget that your monitor is is bad shape...

That is by FAR the poorest excuse I ever have heard for recreational LSD experiments...

:D

That is by FAR the poorest excuse I ever have heard for recreational LSD experiments...

:D

Hey now :o

... hey guys, does my logo look better to you now??

- Edmund Burke

Overall it's nice (if a bit Osc looking*)..

3 things immediately stand out:

1) Poor quality of the logo (as mentioned above)

2) Those awful tabbed category buttons.  Really tacky.

3) The white bit above the "login here" box.  On the other side it's not white.

* header, column, main, column, footer - boring but functional.

I guess it is a matter of personal opinion. It looks like you fixed the logo, it looks crisp to me. The white and the login box is fine because as you go down the page you see that it is all in a "box" that goes around the page, and I like the look of the category tabs.

As far as the "stock osc" look, I don't think it looks "stock" at all. There is a general design here that has those elements. You only have so many options and if you want to get right down to it, 90% of the sites on the web have the "stock osc" look :)

Personally, I like the design and color theme. I like the product pages and the way you have the "also purchased" section. I haven't tried the checkout process yet.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Dreamscape: On the other side at the top of the infoboxes it is a slantways slice of white, on the right hand side it is square white. Looks odd..

Loxly: I never said it looks "stock osc" at all. I said the layout looks Osc (ie boring but functional). "Stock osc" is something entirely different to what this shop looks like.

I stand by my previous comments that very few people actually try to make the layout look different, and it's a shame (I think). Might as well make the Internet a sterile place full of shops & sites that all look the same except maybe a different colour, boring!

ps, Dreamscape, the header image looks much better now.

Loxly:  I never said it looks "stock osc" at all.  I said the layout looks Osc (ie boring but functional).  "Stock osc" is something entirely different to what this shop looks like.

I stand by my previous comments that very few people actually try to make the layout look different, and it's a shame (I think).  Might as well make the Internet a sterile place full of shops & sites that all look the same except maybe a different colour, boring!

Sorry about the misquote.

And I said, personal preference :wink:

I stand by my comment, there are only so many ways to lay out a web page. You think boring, I don't. We can apply color and modify the look, but there is only so much you can do without getting into flash and elements that browsers don't support. Even the great looking transparent boxes don't hold up in all browsers yet. And really, they are still part of the header, left column, footer design.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Dreamscape:  On the other side at the top of the infoboxes it is a slantways slice of white, on the right hand side it is square white.  Looks odd.

burt, I am not sure u get what is going on with the sides... goto https://www.allthingsnewage.com/login.php with nothing in the cart to see the sides without the boxes... then goto a normal page and look...

having the right side a mirrow of the left?? now that certainly would make the site boring (or even more boring than it already is, depending on who you talk to :wink: )

- Edmund Burke

The white and the login box is fine because as you go down the page you see that it is all in a "box" that goes around the page, and I like the look of the category tabs.

see loxly gets what is going on with the darker background running behind the sides.

- Edmund Burke

Personally, I like the design and color theme.  I like the product pages and the way you have the "also purchased" section.  I haven't tried the checkout process yet.

Debbie

Thanks Debbie... I tried to break the "middle" section away from the OSC look as much as possible (even if the sides and footer are OSC looking, though I don't agree the header is OSC looking... in fact if you saw my header php file, you would find that it looks nothing like the standard OSC header)...

though not all of the middle section or main section is different from standard OSC, alot of it is... there's only so much one man can do before u have to say "OK thats good enough, I need to get this baby live"... one of the biggest changes I made to the "main" section was to the "my account" section.. I also spend a great amount of time going through the code finding all the links to products, so that my category tabs would work on any level and work no matter what link you clicked on to get to the product.

- Edmund Burke

Yes the slanty bit isn't happening on the right hand side.  It makes it look strange.

it happens at the bottom burt

- Edmund Burke

Ah yeah, I see now.  OK, the only thing you need to change then is those awful little tabs - they don't line up when they are "live"..and they need some anti-aliasing.

Then you'll be set.

burt could you maybe be a little more specific about "not linning up when live"... there was a problem with them in Opera 6.0 when I was developing that I fixed... could you maybe tell me what browser you are running or maybe post a screenshot so I can see exactly what it is... thanks.

- Edmund Burke

Archived