• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ultimate Seo Urls 5 Pro

FWR Media

Ultimate Seo Urls 5 Pro (version 1.1)

I have just uploaded the latest version of Ultimate Seo Urls 5 version 1.0, it has been performing extremely well and is now at a stage where it can be called a fully stable production release with no known issues. Feedback has been great and so now seems a good time to ask for some thoughts here about the upcoming 1.1 version which will be called Ultimate Seo Urls 5 Pro.

This is in the very final stages of development and as well as your thoughts I am looking for testers who would be willing to give the initial beta release a good bashing both on *nix and Windows servers. To make it simple there will be a "drop on top" install method so devs would be able to "chuck up" a fresh RC2a ( 3 mins ) then drop USU5 pro on top ( 2 mins ).

What's new in USU5 Pro?

Multi Language Seo Support:

Up until this only commercially available uri scripts allow for multi language seo support .. what do I mean by this? It is splitting the shopping cart up into language independent parts so e.g. all English pages have a totally different uri to e.g. German pages. Like this for the first time multi language shops will be able to get individual indexing for language specific pages.

Examples:

English index.php

www.mysite.com/index.php

German index.php

www.mysite.com/index.php/de

English product seo url

www.mysite.com/my-great-product-c-22.html

German product seo url

www.mysite.com/de/my-great-product-c-22.html

4 Different Uri Types:

Traditional Seo Urls:

www.mysite.com/my-great-product-p-32.html

Path Rewrite: ( see 49 different ways to write the product uri text )

www.mysite.com/rebok/trainers/my-great-product-p-32.html

Standard: ( Works on *nix and Windows servers without rewrite ability )

www.mysite.com/index.php/my-great-product-p-32

Path Standard: ( Works on *nix and Windows servers without rewrite ability, see 49 different ways to write the product uri text )

www.mysite.com/index.php/rebok/trainers/my-great-product-p-32

49 different ways to write the product uri text:

Any combination of the following can be used to make up your product uri text in any order.

•  
  • p ( products name )
  • b ( brand/manufacturers name )
  • c ( category name )
  • m ( products model )

So a setting in admin of bcmp would create uri link text like ..

manufacturer-category-model-product

Or with the path methods ..

manufacturer/category/model/product

Obviously most will only use one or two but you can see the flexibility.

Seo Force index.php

www.mysite.com/ will automatically 301 redirect to www.mysite.com/index.php removing the chance of duplicate penalties.

Complete 301 redirection

All uri types are covered for 301 redirection so if you install this for the first time or change your uri type you can rest assured the bots will be 301 redirected to the new uri preserving your page rank. Uri types covered are ..

Standard osC urls

osC experimental search engine friendly urls

Traditional seo Urls

Path Rewrite urls

Standard seo urls

Path standard seo urls

Uri validation:

Change a product name with the old series 2 urls and you are stuffed because ..

aardwark-32.html accesses successfully the same page as dodo-32.html, needless to say this is very bad for seo.

With USU5 if you ever change a product name or change the link text USU5 will 301 redirect to the currently correct seo url for that product/category.

Proper 404 pages for "product not found":

USU5 displays a custom 404 page complete with the correct 404 header when a link comes in where the product/category cannot be found .. the standard osC/seo urls 2 way of dealing with this is to show the page with product not found .. loads of duplicate content.

Modular Uri Types:

The uri types in USU5 pro are modules, new uri types can be created by just dropping in a new module.

Modular Contribution Additions:

Often users want seo urls to create seo url links for contributed modules like links, information pages, articles etc etc. In USU5 these again can be created extremely simply and just dropped in as a module with no code changes.

I have left out the features that USU5 already has assuming that you may know the benefits already, re: USU5 pro I think I have covered most of the new stuff, if I remember more I'll post it later.

Rob

Edited by FWR Media

Sounds terrific!

If you want me as beta tester count me in please.

(I'm on Apache 2.2.12, MySQL 5.1.37, PHP 5.3.0)

If "5 Pro" lives up to its promise it's gonna be superior to any other free seo-contrib.

Congrats!

Sounds terrific!

If you want me as beta tester count me in please.

(I'm on Apache 2.2.12, MySQL 5.1.37, PHP 5.3.0)

If "5 Pro" lives up to its promise it's gonna be superior to any other free seo-contrib.

Congrats!

Thanks Mike I'll add you to the list of possible testers. Do you use the current USU5?

One thing .. this post is in the wrong location, it should be under add ons development for 2.X not 3.X, I have asked a mod to move it but no luck yet.

A recent comment on my blog said; "SEO URLs are no longer relevant (useless and can be harmful)."

I'm not sure I agree with that - what are your thoughts?

I certainly think that seo urls do not have the impact they used to have a few years back especially with the major engines being able to spider complex query strings. Then again anyone who knows anything about SEO knows that any "quick fixes" are long gone and we grasp the little bits of benefit we can through hard work.

There certainly is still significant benefit though and as for harmful, that's rubbish unless the script was producing loads of 301 redirects or generally doing its job badly.

A lot of people when they talk of SEO talk of the bots only and that is only half a story, the human SEO aspect is a strong reason to use seo urls aside from the other reasons .. an example ..

A web user is looking for a "Prada red handbag" .. user does a search and two links are present.

One link is ..

www.mysite.com/index.php?cPath=2

The other is ..

www.mysite.com/prada/red-handbag-c-2.html

Which do they click?

There are other major benefits like 301 redirection after changing the name of a product, 404 page not found for absent products etc etc.

Edited by FWR Media

<deleted due to slow internet .. dual posting stuff>

Edited by FWR Media

Well, it is my opinion that a well structured URL such as in your examples, is far better both visually and semantically. I say SEO Urls should be used in some flavour.

Indeed .. So Burt .. you are a dev who is entirely capable of breaking the beta version :) fancy giving it a thumping?

I like thumping things ;) Hook me up.

Thanks .. I'll try to fashion a "drop on top of RC2a" version over the next day or so for initial testing.

hai. im newbie about scripts.

just need help

how to uninstall seo uls 5 v 8.4? coz i want try seo url 5 v 1.

"when i run install.php, still warning "At least one of the configuration values already exists!

"

thanks

hai. im newbie about scripts.

just need help

how to uninstall seo uls 5 v 8.4? coz i want try seo url 5 v 1.

"when i run install.php, still warning "At least one of the configuration values already exists!

"

thanks

You are in the wrong place to ask that .. go to http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/336702-ultimate-seo-urls-5-by-fwr-media/

Ultimate Seo Urls 5 PRO can now be seen working here

I will have a "2 minute install" package available to testers for tomorrow .. I'm not putting it up in contributions (until it is beta tested) so if you are willing to be a tester please post here and I'll pm you a download link.

Robert - I think I found an omission in the URL rewrite procedure;

Go here:

http://usu5.fwrdev.co.uk/product_info.php/matrox/matrox-g400-32mb-p-2

choose options, add to cart

The link back to the product (from the shopping cart list) takes the usual form;

http://usu5.fwrdev.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2{4}4{3}7

I believe this may need to be the rewritten form.

I love thumping things ;)

Well spotted Burt .. but actually :) .. there is code in place to ensure that happens. As standard the script would have dumped the attributes for an seo url but then the customer would not be returned to the product with attributes already selected.

As the bots should not be adding to cart this was seen as a non issue for seo purposes, the old series 2 does exactly the same.

What did you make of the rest?

Robert - rest looks good.

I think it would be better to link back with a SEOurl'd URL rather than the usual Url - even to the point of linking back to the product sans attributes. Does a customer need to return to the product with the attribs selected already? Thoughts?

I agree with your way of thinking but after further thought it would be removing osCommerce functionality (as quirky as that functionality may be) which I decided against. It could easily be changed by users who wanted what you are suggesting.

Another linked anomaly - the "reviews" button takes the usual form of URL (when the page is accessed from the shopping cart). Perhaps make it an option in the admin area, to return from cart sans attribs?

I don't understand the reviews thing, where does reviews have a normal uri (except for reviews write which is intentional)?

Rob do as above - put a product in cart (with attributes). Link back from the cart link to the same product (this will be via a normal URL). Now mouseover the reviews button at the bottom of the product description...

Yes I see what you mean now Burt. It's the same thing .. seo uri will not be produced where there are attributes in the products_id .. bots shouldn't have products in cart so no SEO issue.

I suppose an admin setting could be put in place to suppress attributes and therefore produce seo uri in these cases but I struggle to see the benefit.

There is now a dev package of USU5 PRO available to test .. it is a super fast "drop on top" installation.

Set up a fresh osCommerce RC2a ( 3mins )

Drop the USU5 PRO files on top ( 1 min )

Done.

If you would like to test this for me please post here and I will pm you a download link (not adding here as a contribution until initial testing is done).

Rob

can do a test if needed...

Thanks Nick have sent the download address.

Interesting concept this splitting of things

just unlike the solution of the crazy dudes who made the zend optimizer a requirement.

I kind of miss the language switching of a product, though.

Just a little question.

Is it possible to implement a switching between installed languages of currently displayed products/categories,

instead of refering to index.php with the wanted language?

Interesting concept this splitting of things

just unlike the solution of the crazy dudes who made the zend optimizer a requirement.

I kind of miss the language switching of a product, though.

Just a little question.

Is it possible to implement a switching between installed languages of currently displayed products/categories,

instead of refering to index.php with the wanted language?

I know what you mean and very much appreciate your testing and your feedback, this was not a priority in development, if it becomes an issue I'll have to look at it but the focus was in seperating the languages for seo purposes.

Edited by FWR Media

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I have no reports of any issues on *nix installations.

On Windows both Burt and Perfectpassion/Tomh report the following: -

What should be ..

http://www.mysite.com/usu5.1/index.php/movies-c-3

Is showing ..

http://www.mysite.com/usu5.1/index.php-c-3

Also what should be ..

http://www.mysite.com/usu5.1/index.php/movies/action-c-3_10

Is showing ..

http://www.mysite.com/usu5.1/index.php//action-c-3_10

Quite why the movies text is missing and why ONLY for this one category at the moment I haven't a clue as I have no access to a Windows server.

I'm hoping for further feedback from Windows testers as to exactly what is causing this anomaly.

SOLVED: issue with missing "movies".

Thanks to PerfectPassion( TomH ) for finding and solving this.

It was not a Windows issue it was an issue with PHP versions less than 5.2.4.

includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/abstracts/aDatamap.php

Find ..

$link_text = preg_replace( "@[\s\v]+@", '-', $link_text );

Replace with ..

if ( PHP_VERSION <= '5.2.3' ) {
     $link_text = preg_replace( "@[\s]+@", '-', $link_text );
   } else {
     $link_text = preg_replace( "@[\s\v]+@", '-', $link_text );
   }

PHP 5.2.4 upgraded the version of PCRE to 7.2 prior to which \v doesn't work.

Edited by FWR Media