• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Free Download with Purchase of something physical

chrisnosleep

Is there anyway to set up a free download with purchase of a physical product and for it to still charge shipping? Trying to find a way to set up free downloads of my releases (i have a record label) when people order the CD or vinyl copy so can get the music now and be stoked, feel it would help with my sales.

ALSO if it is possible, would it be possible to have it not allow downloads until the IN STOCK date incase of pre-order items, etc

Let me know please! If anyone knows a mod for this, or could whip something up for this for me for a fairly reasonable price

You want people to be able to download album tracks as a mp3s when they buy the physical CDs? Yes, it should be possible, but you are going to have to install some contributions and make some mods yourself to apply them to your purpose. Products don't show unless you set them as in stock anyway.

Edited by Ben Nevis

www.jyoshna.com. Currently using OsC with STS, Super Download Store, Categories Descriptons, Manufacturers Description, Individual Item Status, Infopages unlimited, Product Sort, Osplayer with flashmp3player, Product Tabs 2.1 with WebFx Tabpane and other bits and pieces including some I made myself. Many thanks to all whose contributions I have used!

You want people to be able to download album tracks as a mp3s when they buy the physical CDs? Yes, it should be possible, but you are going to have to install some contributions and make some mods yourself to apply them to your purpose. Products don't show unless you set them as in stock anyway.

Yeah like someone buys a cd or vinyl record of one of the releases on my label and after checkout they have a download link for the item.. And then also want it to be able to do the same for an item I have on preorder, but the download link does not work until the date listed for in stock.. Do you know what mods or contributins there are that would handle this maybe?

Yeah like someone buys a cd or vinyl record of one of the releases on my label and after checkout they have a download link for the item.. And then also want it to be able to do the same for an item I have on preorder, but the download link does not work until the date listed for in stock.. Do you know what mods or contributins there are that would handle this maybe?

Super Download Store (see link in my sig) will handle the download side of things - install that and make sure you create a download available order status as it instructs too. You'll need to set that as the default order status in order for downloads to be available when purchase completes.

Whether you need to modify shipping modules or not depends on what shipping methods you use. If it is weight-based downloads won't weigh anything so won't affect the shipping calculation anyway. If it is based on order price total but downloads don't cost anything it won't affect it either etc. If you use something like per item shipping you might need to modify the shipping code a bit to exclude the downloadable items, but it also depends at what stage they get added into the order, which depends on how the linking of the download to the CD is handled - next point.

You can then add a downloadable version of your CDs to your store. That leaves the question of how to link your CD and download products together, so that buying the first automatically gets the second added to the basket. I feel pretty sure there will be a contribution that deals with linked products/free offers - search the addons section for this.

www.jyoshna.com. Currently using OsC with STS, Super Download Store, Categories Descriptons, Manufacturers Description, Individual Item Status, Infopages unlimited, Product Sort, Osplayer with flashmp3player, Product Tabs 2.1 with WebFx Tabpane and other bits and pieces including some I made myself. Many thanks to all whose contributions I have used!

Super Download Store (see link in my sig) will handle the download side of things - install that and make sure you create a download available order status as it instructs too. You'll need to set that as the default order status in order for downloads to be available when purchase completes.

Whether you need to modify shipping modules or not depends on what shipping methods you use. If it is weight-based downloads won't weigh anything so won't affect the shipping calculation anyway. If it is based on order price total but downloads don't cost anything it won't affect it either etc. If you use something like per item shipping you might need to modify the shipping code a bit to exclude the downloadable items, but it also depends at what stage they get added into the order, which depends on how the linking of the download to the CD is handled - next point.

You can then add a downloadable version of your CDs to your store. That leaves the question of how to link your CD and download products together, so that buying the first automatically gets the second added to the basket. I feel pretty sure there will be a contribution that deals with linked products/free offers - search the addons section for this.

ill check this out, thanks!