• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ftp problems

warrenerjm

Hi

Thought I'd start a new thread as it isn't a problem with the contribution SDS

I have spent the last few days trying to upload .zip files to a download subfolder. But only a few have been successful. :(

I use Filezilla but was suggested I try Cuteftp (trial only as not paying $50 especially if it doesn't do any more than Filezilla)too. The .zip files contain either .jpeg or .pdf files & range from 37-76MB I have done 37/47 & 52MB but it keeps timing out or being disconnected by the server.

My hosts who are very helpful said there aren't any limits & it is a connection/ftp problem.

Wondering if you can give me any words of wisdom about uploading large files .. best way/settings/best ftp?

I have turned all applications off including disabling the McFee firewall when uploading but still no luck.

This is driving me mad now & I would prefer to upload bundles in one .zip instead of group in singles if I can as they only take 1/4 of the time to download once purchased.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. :)

Thanks

Julie

Julie, on an ADSL line uploading should be slower than downloading. Depending on your ISP the difference is quite likely to be of the order of only a quarter of the speed, or less. I would suggest you upload smaller files and use SDS to make group file downloads. You can put multiple files in Filezilla's queue so you don't have to wait for each one to finish before starting the next, and it shouldn't really take any longer to upload several small files than it does to upload one big one of the same total size. It also shouldn't take any longer for someone to download them either. What it will make a difference to, however, is the likelihood of something breaking during the upload process. Sending up several smaller files gives less chance for anything to go wrong on each one.

Do also note that it's not a choice of just individual files or one big one, you can group several small files in one zip, make another zip for a few more etc, and then make each zip part of an SDS group file download.

Richard

Edited by Ben Nevis

www.jyoshna.com. Currently using OsC with STS, Super Download Store, Categories Descriptons, Manufacturers Description, Individual Item Status, Infopages unlimited, Product Sort, Osplayer with flashmp3player, Product Tabs 2.1 with WebFx Tabpane and other bits and pieces including some I made myself. Many thanks to all whose contributions I have used!

Julie, on an ADSL line uploading should be slower than downloading. Depending on your ISP the difference is quite likely to be of the order of only a quarter of the speed, or less. I would suggest you upload smaller files and use SDS to make group file downloads. You can put multiple files in Filezilla's queue so you don't have to wait for each one to finish before starting the next, and it shouldn't really take any longer to upload several small files than it does to upload one big one of the same total size. It also shouldn't take any longer for someone to download them either. What it will make a difference to, however, is the likelihood of something breaking during the upload process. Sending up several smaller files gives less chance for anything to go wrong on each one.

It is frustrating having "up to 8meg" but really only receiving 1-2meg. I wish for the day of the superfast speeds .. we are so lacking behind. :(

Do also note that it's not a choice of just individual files or one big one, you can group several small files in one zip, make another zip for a few more etc, and then make each zip part of an SDS group file download.

Richard

I hadn't thought of that >_< so having 2 zip files with 3 files would be easier than 1 large upload & still be only two download buttons (using the group feature)? yes.

With so many files I didn't want to make all of them single downloads. I feel that would put the customer off too, as buying just 2 or 3 bundles would result in 18! download files (buttons) 2-3 is best but 4-6 is acceptable I guess.

Any suggestions on ftp programmes. Faithful Filezilla just doesn't like it, but SmartFTP is working on slightly better odds at the moment. I like free programmes :)

Thanks once again ;)

Julie