• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate...help :(

I installed it all properly, (I think) But when i go to the easy populate link on my left column, it gives me the option to insert to databse, or split, then download them.

I chose to Download Complete tab-delimited .txt file to edit, opened it with excel, added a few lines, it didnt work.

Dit it again, only this time i took one of my existing products, copied the entire row, and pasted it as a new row. Saved it and uploaded it.

When I went in to see if it actually added the products, it added them whacky. It put all products in the "TOP" so they werent in the category that i specified. And instead of naming the product the name i told it to, it named it as my description. In other words, isntead of being a "Blue Hat" it was a "Nice fuzzy warm blue hat".. the price was the weight , and so on.

Any idea how I can fix it? I Think ive done all of the obvious things, i tried to RE-Download Complete tab-delimited .txt file to edit, saved it, didnt modify it, then 'inserted it" to the database. Still did the same thing, took all of my existing products, and put them in the same whacked format.

One thing I did notice, that I don't know how to fix is this:

Instead of appearing as an Excel file on my pc, it appears as a notepad file, and when i try to save it it tells me that its not formatted properly to be saved as tab delimited. But it saves anyway.

gosh i sure talk a lot.

I had a similar problem,

I added a few products the "normal" way and then clicked "Download Complete tab-delimited .txt file to edit" I saved it to my hardrive and opened it with excel, edited it and uploaded successfully.

I guess by adding few prods 'normally' it created a model that was specific to my catalog. (that's a guess)

Hope that helps

When you opened the file in excel did excel tell you it was a tab delimited file and when you clicked finish, it put everything in columns? Then did you expand the columns to make sure you could read the headings? And at the end of each row there should have been a column that has a bunch of letters, that starts with E???? (Sorry I can't remember the exact characters)?

These are some of the things I would check. If the End of Row isn't set properly it will mess everything up.

Debbie

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

Yes I made sure I inserted the areas exactly the way it was already set from the one I downloaded. I think it may have something to do with the file that I'm downloading. It's not registering as a Tab Del. Its registering as a notepad file. Excel insists that it's not in the right format. But it is.

I have no idea what to do to fix it :( SO I have already manually entered the products into the cart. Hopefully before I have to do it again I can figure it all out.

Thanks for tryin to help me =)

What version of Excel are you using? I always download the file from EP then open it in Excel and have not had a problem with the file opening correctly. And yes, it is downloaded as a text file, not a native Excel file.

Debbie

Well, that was pretty easy to figure out, go put in a product model number for each product and reupload the file. If you don't need a specific number and generic is ok, you can put something like 101 in the first product cell and drag it to the end and excel will autfill the numbers for you. Then save the file and upload it again.

Let me know what happens, in the meantime, I'll try loading the file to my test store.

Also, products with zero in the quantity are set to inactive by EP, if you don't want that, then there is a setting somewhere in the easypopulate.php that you change to turn that on and off.

Worked perfectly in my test store.

Loxly

Any idea how to add downloadable attributes to the EP upload? All my products are downloadable documents so EP only gets me part way there.

I can run an SQL script but it would be much easier if the one application mamaged everything.

Cheers

Kenny

toy.p10.co.uk

If you learn more than you forget then that's a good thing.

Attributes are a totally different animal and EP doesn't deal with them. The best way to add attributes to multible products is with Linda's Attribute Sorter and Copier contribution.

Debbie