• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Going to launch in a few weeks... need feedback

CileGray

I am just finishing up my heavily modded release of OSC... and would like to have feedback.

What currently "needs" work and that I don't really want comments about :

-Only 2 products in catalog

-Menu appears fubar in pages other than Default.php (that's because I havent edited them other pages yet)

-Color are fubard in some pages... like the standard light-toned blue on some pages...

-The menus still need headers...

Apart from that, pretty much everything has been modified in a way...

and feel free to throw your feedback at me.

Bad:

The text is hard to read.

The header is huge (check the most common resolution 800x600)

Header image is in pieces when viewed with opera at wider than 826

Side scrolling at 800x600 (because of header)

Good:

Colors are nice.

Good to include the benefits of creating account next to "log in" - text

Nice buttons

Suggetions:

Make header an background (one large image) instead of sliced images.

Brighter color for text or darker background.

"Use no way as way, have no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

wow thanks alot... but don't worry... the header will be gone in a short while... gonna be somethin better replacing it..

The text i'll either put bigger, or lighter... or find something....

Thanks for the comments..

Anything else anyone?

The header is huge (check the most common resolution 800x600)

Not that I don't agree that your sites should be designed to be friendly to 800x600, but 800x600 is on its way out. Check some sites that collect stats from popular sources. Here's one.

1024x768 (over 50%) is on a big rise, and 800x600 is falling (under 50%). Expect these trends to really sharpen over the next 12 months due to increase sales in LCD monitors (2003 is already being called the year of the LCD). LCD monitors are manufactured for a specific resolution. The 15" ones joe-consumer will buy up are usually going to be for 1024x768.

Monitors have had the possibility for years to have larger resolution than 800x600. And how many average joes will be buying an LCD-display when you can get a normal monitor for less than half the price ? Moores law does not seem to be relevant for screen resolution.

And apparently the large majority sees using higher resolution as only way to have larger fonts.

As for stats (thecounter.com):

January 2001

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/January/res.php

January 2003

http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/January/res.php

As sad as it is, we will be stuck with 800x600 for years to come. And the we will (maybe) have the handhelds and digi-tvs and table-pcs to worry about. IMHO the only way to handle every imaginable screen size is css-p with every measurement given as relative.

"Use no way as way, have no limitation as limitation." - Bruce Lee

I, for one, work in a computer store and know alot about computer hardware...

And I also know alot about consumers liking more the thin look, the "no radiation", the "less energy use" and the "double life-expectancy" of LCD monitors... and ALOT of the customers buy them...

As for 800x600, I know that it's on the way out... but still, i'm gonna fix that header

SSL checkout, I know... no certificate yet... why buy a certificate now when I know I wont be using it for 2 weeks...

oh yeah like I said... the little icons are going... going... gone! lol

The scrollbar... I'ma work on...

As for the SSL cert. it is not that necessary right now... since I'm still only processing through PayPal...

Archived