• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Which Image Contribution(s) To Use?

blueedge

I have an old version of OSC that uses Ultimate Images Pack for product images. I like that the Ultimate Images Pack allows for three different images - a small product image on the category page, a slightly larger product image on the product page and an even larger image for the "click to enlarge" pop-up.

I am now trying to put together a new store using v2.2 RC2a. I have been reading all of the image contributions but I'm at a loss as to which image contribution or contributions to use. Any advise, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

I have an old version of OSC that uses Ultimate Images Pack for product images. I like that the Ultimate Images Pack allows for three different images - a small product image on the category page, a slightly larger product image on the product page and an even larger image for the "click to enlarge" pop-up.

I am now trying to put together a new store using v2.2 RC2a. I have been reading all of the image contributions but I'm at a loss as to which image contribution or contributions to use. Any advise, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

First I would advise you add a thumbnailer, then that sorts out your small product images, you don`t have create them seperatly, the only thumbnailer that works with everything else without messing up is osCthumb, don`t use its filename enryption though. wink.gif

For multiple images many seem to like my Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with Fancy Popups http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7008 its a simple but flexible design, products can have as many images as you want but if you add no extra images the appearance is the same as the default, except you get the fancy popups still. smile.gif

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Thanks for your reply, spooks! I had been reading your entries in both forum threads for those two contributions.

I very much appreciated your supplying a link in your forum post to a real example of of what Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with Fancy Popups looks like so it can been seen is action. (So few contributions have real examples so you can see how they look/perform BEFORE you install them.) The Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with Fancy Popups makes pop-up images very professional.

I failed to mention that with my old version of OSC, I also had additional product images that were displayed on the product page. So, with the Ultimate Images Pack, I had a small product image (120x100) that was displayed on the category page. Then, there was a medium-sized product image (250x200) displayed on the product page, when clicked would pop up to reveal a large image (600x600). In addition to those images, I also had additional images displayed on the product page that would would display different features for the product. The additional images would be located in a different section of the page than the medium-sized image mentioned above. The addition images were 120x100 but would pop up and enlarge to 600x600 when clicked.

So, my question is, with Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with Fancy Popups, can I have a medium-sized product image (roughly 250x200) appear in one section of the product page and smaller images (120x100 which would pop up to 600x600) displaying other product features in another section of the product page? Or, do all of the images that appear on the product page have to be grouped/displayed in the same section?

I would like to have one medium-sized image (roughly 250x200) on the product page to catch the customer's eye, and have available alternative product images displaying other features. However, I don't want the alternative images as large as the "main" product image because that would take up too much room. Is there a way to do that?

Yes, I had been reading about the woes of osCthumb and file encryption. That's why I was unsure about using it. But, as you suggested, I guess I could use it but not use the encryption feature.

You seem to have missed the point of osCThumb, you upload one main product image at full size, then for catagory or product pages osCThumb creates new thumbnail images of the full size one at the size you specify for the thumbnail in admin (it adds a new size setting for the product page) these new images are cached, so think of it like Ultimate Images but with automatic image creation.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

spooks, thanks once again for your reply and for your patience.

I think I do understand (?) about osCThumb, in that I only need to have one full-size image, as oppose to three images of different sizes with Ultimate Images Pack. osCThumb will allow me to specify various smaller-sized images.

What I'm confused about, and was trying to ask, was . . . is it possible to use Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with Fancy Popups for image pop-ups in multiple locations of the product page or do I have to group all product images in one location of the product page? Basically, can I have a product page layout like the following:

[medium-sized image with Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with Fancy Popups] for pop-up]

Then, display text about the product.

[multiple small-sized images with Simple Multi Image Add-on (Un-Limited) with Fancy Popups] for pop-ups]

Thanks for your help.

Yes, You still have the product main image in addition to the new additional images, the included file places the additional images around the main image, but there is nothing stopping you changing that layout.

Sam

Contributions:

Thanks, spooks!

Just one more question (for now). I promise. :D

Should I use BTS, STS or simply the stock version? Does it matter? (I read a thread that attempted to solicit the merits of BTS vs STS. However, it really didn't seem like any conclusions were reached.)

In your opinion, which do you believe is the best way to go? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks, spooks!

Just one more question (for now). I promise. biggrin.gif

Should I use BTS, STS or simply the stock version? Does it matter? (I read a thread that attempted to solicit the merits of BTS vs STS. However, it really didn't seem like any conclusions were reached.)

In your opinion, which do you believe is the best way to go? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would say it depends on your abilities, I think toyicebear put it succinctly in his last post there. smile.gif

Sam

Contributions: