• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Wedding pianist site - feedback please

I have used the oscommerce template to set up a site whereby people can order my services online. I was hoping to be able to take deposits up front by credit card and have them pay the balanbce later, but after a trawl through the contribs, it appears that I can't do that.

Having said that, I would be interested in what people think of the site.

Issues I am aware of: I know there is no privacy and conditions information - that is yet to come.

www.julietta.co.uk

Nice, but just static information pages. Is there no way to order your service online?

Some ideas:

- make each of your services to be a product, ie ceremony a, ceremony b etc

- You can use attributes to make like "extra hour + 50" or something

- You can use zones to precalculate the travel expences as shipping costs ie till 40 miles free, 40 - 60 = 15 etc (I tried to calculate how much till here where I am lol) But seriously: Don't let your customers to do the job, what if they make a mistake in calculation? And how to know from where exactly to count?

- For payment: You can have a fixed prepay amount via creditcard and state the the balance will be paid in cash

Hi

Thanks very much for the feedback. It's worrying to know that the product list is 'hidden' as that is obviously where the money is! How can I make it more obvious? Maybe change the title of the category from "Build your own package" to something more snappy?

Suggestions?

Or maybe put a static graphic on every page to the category listing?

When you found it, what did you think of the travel expenses calculator? Is it sufficiently foolproof? It's not as automated as I would like, but it's all I've managed to do so far.

Is it sufficiently foolproof?

Following happened just now:

Me, the innocent idiot and holy customer, found your site and very happy about. Clicked on "free online quote" on the left and took the first package "civil ceremony" for 60.-. Next thing was to click on checkout, and after registration, I paid via paypal and wrote you in the comments that I'm expecting you next Sunday at 19:00 in Thessaloniki/Greece. Finally I saw a confirmation page stating that the product I ordered (the ceremony) will be delivered in 2-5 days. also got an email confirming this.

Now, after I prepaid already, I'm realy expecting you to be here next Sunday afternoon. Do I have a reason to think that something is going wrong?

Following remarks:

1) It let me checkout even my address is in Greece. This you can adjust setting the payment ways to be available just in certain zones

2) It let me checkout without checking if the product (your service) is available. Since the product (your performance) is unique and can be delivered just once per day this need to be fixed somehow.

3) It didn't ask me when I want to have the product delivered. For (2) and (3) maybe some calendar or delayed delivery contributions or something will do a step into the right direction

4) It didn't force me to add travel expenses. Right now you have the expenses as a product, but thats optional to choose. And what if I don't notice the calculator thats only displayed at the product listing page? I would re-enable the shipping cost and put the calculator to there. Here I have no idea to tell you how to get the calculation result to be transfered into real shipping cost (rename it to travel expenses)

Also:

I think too much text on the front page

Use the attributes to sell additional hours of the same program (ie basic ceremony = 60, +1,5 hours = + 20.- etc)

Would be nice to find a way to make people to choose what songs they want. Maybe the basic package contains some fixed songs (tell them in the product description) and additional I can click to choose some more? You can do this via attributes (option types v2 contribution)

Well, just some thoughts early in the morning while drinking coffee. Have a nice day :)

Thank you - that really is very useful. I forgot I would have to change the confirmation emails and page. I had actually thought about an availability calendar, but then forgot about it in the excitement of figuring out how to do the travel expenses calculator.

Still lots to do then. Thank you for your feedback :)

What he said.

A basic HTML page would have sufficed for this store.

Well, I don't think that I need an interpreter, what I said is written above and each one can understand it as he/she like, but anyway: I don't think that a static page could incorporate the necessary features this store wants/needs to have

Well, I don't think that I need an interpreter, what I said is written above and each one can understand it as he/she like, but anyway: I don't think that a static page could incorporate the necessary features this store wants/needs to have

- The text color is much to dark. I am viewing it on Firefox and it is very hard to read.

- The top image and the header could be a little smaller also- they are taking up a large

chunk of "prime real-estate" on your homepage.

Also- if you don't need an online store- I don't see a point to using OsCommerce- there are

much better ways and nicer looking ways of creating a "static" website.

You also mentioned wanting to incorporate a down payment. Why not just make the purchase

"Down Payment" and make it a set price? (ie $50) that way they could pay online?

Unless, I'm not understanding how you are trying to do it. =)

Otherwise it does look nice- very dramatic and I like it. Its very fitting and it looks

professional.

- The text color is much to dark. I am viewing it on Firefox and it is very hard to read.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my website. However, I am confused - the text colour is white. How does it appear in Firefox? I have tested it on Opera and IE so far.

Also- if you don't need an online store- I don't see a point to using OsCommerce- there are

much better ways and nicer looking ways of creating a "static" website.

I don't understand this comment either. How can I take online payments and orders without having online store software?

You also mentioned wanting to incorporate a down payment. Why not just make the purchase

"Down Payment" and make it a set price? (ie $50) that way they could pay online?

Unless, I'm not understanding how you are trying to do it. =)

That's an idea.

What I really want to do is this:

Customer places their order showing the full amount on the invoice e.g. £200. They then have the choice to settle in full in advance, OR pay a deposit of £50 now and pay the rest at a later date, when it falls due. If they pay the deposit, their account will then show that invoice as £50 paid and £150 due. At any point in the future, I want them to be able to go into their account and pay off the amount due, or for me to send them a reminder when it is due, and for them to be able to pay it off then.

I am not sure if I will be able to do this with oscommerce, but that is what I want.

Otherwise it does look nice- very dramatic and I like it. Its very fitting and it looks

professional.

Thank you :)

Archived