• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

upgrading to mysql 5 ? I need advise please

Nathali

Hello,

My host server sent me a message that they are going to upgrade to mysql 5.

I need to answer if I want it or not?

I have:

PHP Version: 5.2.5 (Zend: 2.2.0)

Database: MySQL 4.1.22

OSCommerce 2.2 ms2

Could I upgrade without any special issues ?? Please advise

Best Regards,

Nathali

Best Regards,

Nathali

Hi Nat!

I think you use update 060817 or later so your store should be MySQL5 compatible. A problem might come from older, non-compliant contributions you may have installed.

If you want to be sure, you could download and install XAMPP. Then you could have a dev site on your PC for testing and contribution installing.

Even if your store is ok now, you will get some issues when your host upgrades to PHP 5.3 as some functions are deprecated. Using the latest version of XAMPP, which uses PHP 5.3+ and downloading an entire copy of your store, to your PC, you will be able to fix those issues now.

Hi Nat!

I think you use update 060817 or later so your store should be MySQL5 compatible. A problem might come from older, non-compliant contributions you may have installed.

If you want to be sure, you could download and install XAMPP. Then you could have a dev site on your PC for testing and contribution installing.

Even if your store is ok now, you will get some issues when your host upgrades to PHP 5.3 as some functions are deprecated. Using the latest version of XAMPP, which uses PHP 5.3+ and downloading an entire copy of your store, to your PC, you will be able to fix those issues now.

Hi Peter !!

Long time no talk.. How R U ??

I hope fine!

Thanks for your reply. I think I installed the 060817 update but anyway I will try to install XAMPP and see if I get any errors.

Thanks a lot again for your advise !! great day !!

Best Regards,

Nathali

Best Regards,

Nathali

Hi Nat,

Yep, fine thanks. How's yourself?

It is a good idea to have a local server as you can keep on top of things, in a safe environment. i.e It doesn't matter too much if you mess up on a local copy. XAMPP or WAMP is pretty easy to install so you should be ok. Let me know how you get on.

Take care,

Peter.

Archived