• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What's a "believer"?

toolcrazy

This thread was started a long time ago, and when it was started it was sort of single purpose/topic, and as it grew, it started becoming almost like a BBS where people could chit-chat about anything, but apparently there has been a lot of false information posted lately by people who don't know what is going on and to maintain our sanity we have formed an off site thread so that we can chat about anything we want, or ramble if we want, or brainstorm on ideas, etc.

Don't tell me when it was started and for what purpose and what has gone on. I've been here since page 1, long before you came in around page 15.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it started becoming almost like a BBS where people could chit-chat about anything, but apparently there has been a lot of false information posted lately by people who don't know what is going on and to maintain our sanity we have formed an off site thread so that we can chat about anything we want, or ramble if we want, or brainstorm on ideas, etc.

yes there has been alot of brainstorming, etc, going on in this thread... but what I find most appauling is that for the most part this thread carries the general mentality that the "believers" are somehow better than everyone else. Go back and read the entire thread starting from the beginning. It is a good thread at first, but then around pages 12-16, the mentality that the "believers" are somehow better than everyone else pops up and is propigated through the rest of the thread pretty much.

- Edmund Burke

Joshua,

I'll be very blunt. Your last series of posts are just exactly why Jeff and Deb and Steve and I are now chatting privately.

You bitch about and nit pick more than anyother single person on the whole forum... Yet, you are the one that thinks the forum is going to hell in a hand cart.

The way to make things better is to lead by example. Right now, you are setting a very poor example. I am truly sorry that you are so unhappy with your life that you feel the need to make others unhappy too.

This thread seems to offend some people.

You mentioned just this thread - what I wrote about "spreading it out" is not to be taken in a negative manner.

This thread has many many topics, some worth discussing and some worth participating in (for the fun factor). It is what I call in an "information overflow" state, as due to the overall fun factor discussions can not occur in a straight line of focus, if at all.

You've probably just yelled out "it's not meant to though!!" - I think there would be even more participation from Believers and nonBelievers alike if these topics were in their own thread.

This thread is not going to be deleted, and I do not mind when this "topic" is just another random thought in the (current) 150+ pages of talk, but would appreciate that future topics worth discussing (fun factor aside) be addressed in their own thread.

We took the "thread" and started a forum.

I think a guestbook may be better to use than a forum, after all only one thread would be used :D

It is a forum for people who enjoy osc and met here.  It is a place where we can talk about things that do not belong on this forum and we can get to know each other in more depth and help each other without it looking commercial.

That sounds just like this forum channel.

If your intentions are of starting another community altogether (ie, where discussions have nothing to do with osCommerce at all (eg, "How To Properly Cut Fingernails", "My Grocery Shopping List", or "Best Fondue Recipes") then I can stop scratching my head (as soon as the invitation-only requirement is no longer a requirement).

:heart:, osCommerce

ah Kim you are absolutely right... what was I thinking, that the "believers" thinking they are superior was a bad thing... you are soo right Kim... ah, you are a believer, so how could you be wrong?

I will go back to my cell now.

- Edmund Burke

i rest my case.....

thank you for banning me from the elite forums... I should have really known better than to think I might be able to get into your elite group being only commoner.

------

Harald, please remove the "Believer" status from my profile. I really do not wish to be associated with a group that carries the mentality this one does.

- Edmund Burke

We have nothing to hide. We simply wanted to be able to continue our discussion without interference, without accusations, without hassles. Our goal is to help each other and the OSC community. There are no "special" requirements except that we "know" you and feel that you would complement the rest of the group. Anyone interested can PM any of us and ask to be included. That doesn't mean that everyone will be admitted. You have been invited and are more than welcome to join us.

This paragraph makes it sound like you guys are a cult. :lol:

Josh ... sometimes I find you to be the most sensitive of people to take immediate offense or find something wrong in anything someone says without a thought to what was really said.

Just like last night when I had some abuser destroy my site and send a lamer message out to my client list ...

Was your reaction ... hey ... what's going on?! Or, hey ... are you being hacked?

No ... you immediately accused me of being an example of "how unprofessional the core team is"

You did not even have the decency of an appology when I emailed you via a private address so you'd know that was me and not some lamer.

You attack without thinking. And you know me from here way better than that to even consider that I would send out such an email to you or anyone else for that matter.

Perhaps it is you who needs to chill out and think a bit and stop harping because others here want to help, code or chat.

The people who use this thread most often have never said a word about no one else here ... or exclusive or anything else ... it's just a rambling chat thread.

When they thought Harald was opposed to it because of a waste of bandwidth, rather than it just being hard to follow, Jeff openned a different location for this type of thread thinking that is what Harald wanted.

No one here is "out to get the community" ... most anyone who uses this thread tries to be a contributor, helper, etc.

There is no conspiracy or elite club as you insist on implying. Other than one night someone did not get your joke and tried to explain something to you then you took offense that your joke was not understood by all, I don't know when you have been made uncomfortable in any way here. You have always been welcome and I happen to enjoy you being here.

But not when you get on that high horse of your's and jump on people for breathing the wrong way around you ... I just don't understand why you do that.

So perhaps before you go slamming into me for being such an elitest ... and god forbid ... an unprofessional Team member for stating my personal views ... perhaps you could think about your own posts and threads and how you come off to people sometimes ...

This is *type*, the written text ... this is not voice and faces where you can see a smirk or hear a laugh ... sometimes ... *your* mood hears people laughing *at* you rather than *with* you ... where on another day, you would of heard them laughing with you.

When they thought Harald was opposed to it because of a waste of bandwidth, rather than it just being hard to follow, Jeff openned a different location for this type of thread thinking that is what Harald wanted.

that is what I do not understand... harald never said anything close to that. This is what was said by harald back on page 153 about the discussion being hard to follow:

I don't know exactly what was discussed as I stopped reading this thread at around page 70 (I think), but what about posting in this forum channel as normal people do? I mean, one thread = one subject, instead of one thread = 150+ pages of random talk.  

I feel sorry for the people searching the forums and thinking their answers are somewhere in the 150 pages of the random discussion.

that seems crystal clear to me. one thread = one subject. Nothing in there about using too much bandwidth

- Edmund Burke

that is what I do not understand... harald never said anything close to that. This is what was said by harald back on page 153 about the discussion being hard to follow:

I don't know exactly what was discussed as I stopped reading this thread at around page 70 (I think), but what about posting in this forum channel as normal people do? I mean, one thread = one subject, instead of one thread = 150+ pages of random talk.  

I feel sorry for the people searching the forums and thinking their answers are somewhere in the 150 pages of the random discussion.

that seems crystal clear to me. one thread = one subject. Nothing in there about using too much bandwidth

As non-computer literate folks about servers and forums and how they work ... it is a common assumption that a long thread means horrible resources are being used.

It's nothing more than a screen of info. The resources are like a regular page ... the most it occupies is space. Space is cheap, bandwidth is not.

Monster pages that actually take bandwidth is a waste of space.

But remember, Josh. Not everyone understands how pages are put together or resources are utilized by the server.

Everyone just wants to be helpful.

The misunderstands over what Harald really was trying to say and what he wanted vs the concern that it was too big and hurting the server and the community in some way is what got everyone into a befuddled mess, I think.

Once a thread has started we get a notification if there is a new post. To require that everytime a new question was posted in this thread be posted as a NEW thread, when it was usually directed to the people IN this thread, would mean that many of us would have missed the question. And think about it. Instead of one thread 150+ pages long, we would have yet another forum where no one can find anything because the new threads knocked to old ones off the page :(

The new forum was announced here, and I would have suggested it not be. If we had quietly formed it no one here would know or care unless they were invited.

Let it go people. Let it go. We aren't better (or worse) than anyone else, but we are damn well tired of being targetted for trying to be nice. And for making friends in a place that apparently doesn't approve of friendship.

Over and out.

Please lock the thread.

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

I'm scratching my head on what good an invitation-based forum would bring.

I asked who would get invited, who not, and the reasons why. So far the answer has been to keep strangers out which sort of side steps the question by not listing the real requirements.

If it's to keep strangers out, then it's to keep a society of "special" people closed, where one can join only by invitation.

If there was no osCommerce and no osCommerce forums, what would be the chances of the "society" members knowing each other?

Everyone here started out as strangers.

No, not as strangers, but as guests - guests to join an open community.

Well said Harald...

It is obvious that some people have begun to believe themselves some "special" kind Believer..... what is it you believe?... do you wish to take the "open" out of open source?

Go people... set up your own little club where you can have fun pissing in each others pockets.... but don't offend everybody else here by calling it an osC Believers club.... that it will never be...........

It is such a shame that no one actually reads the posts we write......

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

• 2 weeks later...

Uh - yawn - um - er - did world war 3 break out whilst I was away? {rubs sleep from his eyes} - now we have private forums, allegations of elitism, egotism, insults, people closing their accounts .... Sounds like OSC has become a REAL community!

Oh well, there is enough war in the world today so I think I will just get back to the code.

Ah! The code - yer! Now I remember what the purpose of OSC was really about .... { :idea: shines in my head}!

Ian-san

Flawlessnet

Archived